How old of a used tent would you buy

I know that the waterproofing and fabrics in tents with PU coatings is vulnerable to breakdown over time. Assuming a tent has no signs of hydrolysis- no peeling, no odors - would you feel comfortable counting on a 15 or 20 year old tent to keep you dry?

Sometimes I see a deal on a tent locally that is obviously older but was a solid tent in it’s time. These are often Eureka or Marmot tents from the mid 00’s. I’m looking for something to take on work trips where I might need to camp out - I don’t want to take something expensive but I don’t want to get wet. Could such a tent be a decent choice if the price was right?

jimh406

WKR
I have 20 year old tents that I would use. I even have a 30 year old half dome that I would use. That being said, unless you go for an expensive brand, new ones are pretty inexpensive and can be much easier to put up. I think I would focus on ease of putting up/down over age.

Tents with synthetic fabric and flys are pretty water proof. I think the biggest issue is potentially the floor. You can treat the seams yourself. YMMV.

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely depends on the condition it is in. Doing your due diligence before buying would be a great start. Setting it up and giving it a good look over. Maybe spray some water from a hose on it. Trusting a shelter to keep you dry is a big deal in most situations.

WRM

WKR
I've had several older (about that age range when I got) Dana packs that showed no real signs of use, but the PU coating was peeling on some and not others (vomit smell optional). Which is to say, who knows why some coatings "fail" and some keep banging along. Inspect and try not to pay much for it--makes it easier to throw it away when it leaks in multiple spots. You can clean off the coating and re-coat, which I've done on those packs. Probably a real pain on a shelter though. Too much like work for me.

drra

FNG
It would have to be an incredible deal for me to take a chance on an old used tent (how much life left in the zippers as much as water proofing).

*zap*

WKR
I have a few pretty old rei tents that are in 100% working condition. Use/abuse/care and not age is the thing....nowadays most people 'need' to have the latest and greatest.

Bluesage

FNG
I still have a Marmot tent from that time frame with a lot of use, and it is solid.

After 15 years I would definitely be in the market if I wanted to stay dry. Realizing your tent is leaking in a storm is a great way to ruin a trip

Location-location-location...and always have a plan. Destroying your tent and relying on the kindness of nearby strangers to shelter you (especially in bad weather) can be an uplifting experience.

6e89e285b66576088d407bc5c3d479a8.jpg