How rare are they in 2020?

WVELK

FNG
First, I believe any elk and all elk are a trophy - especially those taken with a bow which is almost my sole weapon for big game hunting at this point. Second, I am always trying to harvest a 380 inch bull and above, but that does not mean I will not shoot a 260 and still be excited. A trophy is as much about the experience as any. My greatest elk ”trophy” was a 280 inch bull from Wyoming approximately 25 years ago. We called him in around 11 AM, and to make a long story short, I didn’t get a shot off before he literally jumped over me while I was on my knees hitting me pretty hard in the shoulder with his left hind leg. After picking my bow up, gathering myself and making sure I was still alive, I took a nap. I wanted to try to call him in that afternoon, and sure enough without moving we called him in at 3:00 PM that afternoon. That time the arrow hit him well before he got close enough to hit me again!

My question now is how many people have harvested a 380 inch bull or larger (gross). I have come close - very close a couple times - buy no cigar. So how rare are they in 2020?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Depends on the unit. Some units guys hold out for at least a 380 bull for at least a few days. 280 to 380 is a big jump. Curious how you came up with 380.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Depends on the unit. Some units guys hold out for at least a 380 bull for at least a few days. 280 to 380 is a big jump. Curious how you came up with 380.

I came up with 380 simply because my largest elk so far are would be in the 370s. As for 280 to 380 jump, you have to keep in mind 25 -30 years ago a kid from the east side of the Country thought a 280 was a MONSTER!!!!!!! Ha ha.

I guess I could also refine my post a bit. My question is really for those of us who are anywhere between DIY and outfitted hunts with landowner tags in New Mexico our put in the years to draw in Arizona. I was more or less ruling out governor tags. I have mixed feelings on those tags - lots of good and some not so good. I would not say that I would never buy one, but for now it isn’t Me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you’re a Utahan at heart. “I waited 20 years for a tag, scouted 30 days, ran 7 trail cameras, had 10 spotters, and all I could find was a small 360” bull, the state DNR is horrible.”
Lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

He'll I'd say most haven't killed a 350+.

I definitely understand chasing something bigger than you have killed, but if your doing that the game changes to understanding that your odds are better of not shooting anything.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Sounds like you’re a Utahan at heart. “I waited 20 years for a tag, scouted 30 days, ran 7 trail cameras, had 10 spotters, and all I could find was a small 360” bull, the state DNR is horrible.”

No not at all. I will start this years season in New Mexico and yes I will try to find a really nice bull. I do like to try to get larger bulls, BUT and this is a big BUT - I will end the month in Colorado on a DIY hunt with a couple buddies. In Colorado where we hunt I can’t imagine there being a 300 inch bull in the area. If I take a cow or a branch antlered bull I will be just excited as I would be with something much larger. And, if either of them get one I will be just as excited for them as well. Few are able to convey their message through written words as spoken, so forgive me for any confusion created. I am not a “Utahan”.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
In otc units they are rarer than a unicorn🥰 a bull of that size needs limited hunting pressure to get to around 8 and genetics

Yes the unit I will be in during the Colorado trip is OTC archery and you are right. Unicorns.

Phaseolus

WKR
No not at all. I will start this years season in New Mexico and yes I will try to find a really nice bull. I do like to try to get larger bulls, BUT and this is a big BUT - I will end the month in Colorado on a DIY hunt with a couple buddies. In Colorado where we hunt I can’t imagine there being a 300 inch bull in the area. If I take a cow or a branch antlered bull I will be just excited as I would be with something much larger. And, if either of them get one I will be just as excited for them as well. Few are able to convey their message through written words as spoken, so forgive me for any confusion created. I am not a “Utahan”.
Not a Utard?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, I wanna see the big bulls you're trying to top that you've already killed

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Good genetics, a mild winter for the cow giving birth to the bull in the spring, 5.5 years without being shot or eaten, a good set of moisture creating plenty of feed that year and then you can get a 380+. If are hunting during rut or post-rut then the 380 may have broken off 20" or more by the time you put a tape on the bull. Likely need to pass a dozen or more 350+ to have a chance to see the 380 on the hoof. My best elk adventure was a 300 class hunt were the 5x6 bugled along with 3 other bulls for almost an hour before appeared climbing out of a gulley for an easy muzzleloader shot 7 miles from where the dirt road ended. Largest was a 350+ bull that was over in a few hours in sight of a paved road. I think a 30"/200+ mule deer is tougher to get that a 380" elk. I prefer to hunt elk, though. Good luck and post a picture because if you dream it then it can happen!

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
This is the most recent good one. I dont have digital images of the other good one From Arizona.

Attachments

• 2DBD53FE-A8D8-49A6-88E1-243CD09CBDD6.jpeg
    2DBD53FE-A8D8-49A6-88E1-243CD09CBDD6.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 247
OP
W

WVELK

FNG
I won't even get out of my sleeping bag for less than a 370 bull.

;)

We all will - all chasing the good ones - but it is the sound of the bugle, the feeling of accomplishment from pushing ourselves further than we ever thought we could go in thin mountain air, and the beauty that unfolds before our eyes with each and ever step that draws us back each fall. As I suggested above, trophies come in all sizes and each day afield is a blessing.

I really wouldn’t be trying to pass a 370” bull in an OTC unit because you’re chasing unicorns and the point counting endeavor can lack satisfaction. I’d have a ball shooting 300” bulls or one with a lot of character (huge mass, etc.) while saving points and cash to get drawn or buy a landowner tag so you can really devote yourself to areas with that kind of potential.

Last edited: