How rare is a 200 inch mule deer

While hunting I'd say 1 in 1000 but I know of several unhuntable urban deer in a couple of states that I have seen for a few years in a row. I personally have killed one and I've hunted mule deer every year for 30 years. I've maybe seen 2 others while hunting that I didn't get shots at. It's not impossible in good units throughout the west but it's not common. I'd have to say there's probably less than 50-60 total 200" deer killed in all the states where they reside combined.

I live in an area that 200 was very possible every year. Then tag allotments went through the roof and they are getting more rare. I still see one every now and then but not like it should be.

Great question, I don't think I have ever seen a 200 inch deer during the hunt. Maybe I have misjudged one and I am not aware of it. I have seen one maybe 2 on the winter range. I would love to shoot one! I believe with my current plan that I will have a shot someday🙏.

TaperPin

WKR
In the old days, during good years in some concentrated winter range areas, they weren’t uncommon to get a peak at and locals would name a big guy. Now everyone thinks they are a thug and there’s some weird sense of entitlement poaching a deer. There were plenty of poachers in the past, but when towns were smaller it was harder to get away shooting an obvious deer. Plenty of 200”+ deer heads ended up the back of an oilfield truck - these guys work the oil field all winter and some important winter range just happens to overlap. Nothing personal against oilfield guys, just the one’s that poach. It probably helps a lot that a headless deer can be matched to a cell phone in the same place and time.

During scouting or the season I’ve only seen 2 that really stand out. Make that 3.
The Greys River is just a good producer if the winters aren’t too bad, but it’s crowded - trailheads look like traveling coybow parking lots at a rodeo - I hunt pockets on the edges with the same genetics and far fewer people. Finding old deer is more important than perfect genetics.

Last edited:

HiMtnHntr

WKR
In general they are exceptional. There are places you can go to find them with more regularity of course and others where they simply don’t exist. In places I have spent time in they are like pink unicorns.

Juan_ID

WKR
I have only seen 5 that I believe to go over 200. That’s in about 12 years of feeling like I know “what I was doing” and or looking for. I was fortunate enough to harvest one of them and may never top it. In general I’d say they’re very rare, seemed like I’d see one every 2-3 years but haven’t seen one in a while now 🥹

Everyone can hang a 200" muley on the wall every single year if they do these two simple things:
1) Kill a legal mule deer buck
2) Pay a taxidermist to give you the skull of your dreams

Even in their prime glory days, the Strip/Kaibab/Mexico did not have 200"+ bucks behind every bush, tree, outcropping, etc.

Ignore the social media pimps.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have seen 2 that are true 200 inchers one was near a highway in super south east Co, mostly giant private ranches around. 2nd was a buddies 204” that came out of the most premium mule deer unit in the state during 4th rifle… I’d say they are as common as true 370” bulls and at least in Co they are becoming more and more rare. The late rut hunts are ensuring that. Seen some bucks that are probably 180-190 class but never while I had a tag for them. Buddy had an amazing one on his ranch in Wyo this year but never connected. He was awesome and still probably 190ish

TaperPin

WKR
It’s simplistic, but guys like the Eastmans can give you an idea of how tough public land hunting is, if you read between the lines to sort out which animals are truly on public land and which are in a unique situation that you can’t replicate. It’s a business and they have to feed the monster and come out with new content regularly - and they have built up contacts and information sources we could only dream about. When nothing is coming out about traditionally productive areas, deer are down. They also have a lot more competition and the number of hard core hunters is probably higher now than ever, but they have to feed the monster.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s simplistic, but guys like the Eastmans can give you an idea of how tough public land hunting is, if you read between the lines to sort out which animals are truly on public land and which are in a unique situation that you can’t replicate. It’s a business and they have to feed the monster and come out with new content regularly - and they have built up contacts and information sources we could only dream about. When nothing is coming out about traditionally productive areas, deer are down. They also have a lot more competition and the number of hard core hunters is probably higher now than ever, but they have to feed the monster.
Haha you mean how the eastmans are shooting all those giant bucks on private ranches or land locked public like they have been for the last several years? Would love to know when the last true 200” was taken by an Eastman on public, draw, diy hunt.