How rare is a 200 inch mule deer

I've been getting after mule deer, specifically, pretty hard the last 4 years. All general, true OTC or low point tags. I've hunted CA, NM, CO, ID, MT, WY, UT, AZ & NE so far. I've seen ZERO 200" bucks, one 190" buck and only maybe five or six 180" bucks. That includes scouting in July and August.

I'm going to try focusing on better tags to see if I can bump those numbers up lol.
You’re in the wrong states that’s why 😉

FYG

FNG
I personally believe a 400" bull is considerably more rare than a 200" deer. I grew up in Wyoming hunting with a group of guys. All of us have at least one 200"+ mule deer, officially measured. My best is 217 1/8". All are non typical. We have seen dozens of others over the last 30 years that I am confident went above 200. Our group has exactly zero 400" bulls. The largest we have scores 381". I guided for many years in Wyoming Colorado, and New Mexico. I have personally seen zero 400" bulls taken. I know they exist but I can't confidently say I have seen one alive other than a non typical winter range bull on a refuge.

I do agree with the above- most deer called 200" are not really 200" deer.
Certainly depends on a state by state basis. No surprise that the Montana folks are saying 400" bulls are more common than 200" deer based on our season structures and management/mismanagement practices. Obviously not everything gets entered, but just look at Boone and Crocket entries and you'll see 10 400+" bulls since 2015 in Montana to only 3 200+" deer in the same time frame.

It's not uncommon to get a couple photos of 400+" elk any given year from Montana, where I can't say the same for deer.

I imagine Colorado would be the yin to Montana's yang and show the exact opposite. Across the west, deer may have the edge on elk with Montana being an outlier due to how poorly we manage our deer versus our elk.

*Edit: Looked at Montana's entries on FWP site and the numbers since 2015 are: 11 Elk officially over 400"; 2 deer over 200". Extended back to 2000, 12 deer, 18 elk. Similar enough numbers to B&C official website.

As for meeting Minimum scoring for B&C- 248 deer all time in Montana, 339 elk.

Again, Colorado would show an entirely different data set, as would Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Nevada etc.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Certainly depends on a state by state basis. No surprise that the Montana folks are saying 400" bulls are more common than 200" deer based on our season structures and management/mismanagement practices. Obviously not everything gets entered, but just look at entries and you'll see 10 400+" bulls since 2015 in Montana to only 3 200+" deer in the same time frame. It's not uncommon to get a couple photos of 400+" elk any given year from Montana, where I can't say the same for deer.

I imagine Colorado would be the yin to Montana's yang and show the exact opposite. Across the west, deer may have the edge on elk with Montana being an outlier due to how poorly we manage our deer versus our elk.
Used to be that way… last 4, going on 5 years has really crushed the age class in Co. as far as 400 inch bulls I’ve never seen one on the hoof, but seen a couple sets of sheds that tip the 400 inch mark that a buddy found. Biggest elk on the hoof I’ve seen goes 360ish, then again I hunt otc, but even in the draw units over 350, let alone 380 is super rare

FYG

FNG
Used to be that way… last 4, going on 5 years has really crushed the age class in Co. as far as 400 inch bulls I’ve never seen one on the hoof, but seen a couple sets of sheds that tip the 400 inch mark that a buddy found. Biggest elk on the hoof I’ve seen goes 360ish, then again I hunt otc, but even in the draw units over 350, let alone 380 is super rare
My wife's first elk hunt here we saw a bull that topped 380 by a good bit on public but didn't get a shot on him. The next day she had a 325 bull in her scope at 180 yards and was asking if she should hold out for the 380+ bull for her first elk. Short story, the 325 bull came home with us. Tooth aged at 10 years old. With my limited Colorado experience, I can't say anyone would really question whether they should shoot the 325 bull or not. Meanwhile, more than a few Colorado hunters would question why so many Montana hunters hang their deer tags on 140" 4x4's and are semi-excited about it after hunting for 5 weeks during the rut.

Management practices go a long way for hunter expectations.

Hnthrdr

WKR
My wife's first elk hunt here we saw a bull that topped 380 by a good bit on public but didn't get a shot on him. The next day she had a 325 bull in her scope at 180 yards and was asking if she should hold out for the 380+ bull for her first elk. Short story, the 325 bull came home with us. Tooth aged at 10 years old. With my limited Colorado experience, I can't say anyone would really question whether they should shoot the 325 bull or not. Meanwhile, more than a few Colorado hunters would question why so many Montana hunters hang their deer tags on 140" 4x4's and are semi-excited about it after hunting for 5 weeks during the rut.

Management practices go a long way for hunter expectations.
Absolutely! Yeah there aren’t many if any places in the state anymore where you would pass a 325 bull either, even in some of the oil tag units… yeah, I would be lying if I said I didn’t have a blast the last 4 years hunting mule deer rut tags with a rifle, but it is absolutely not sustainable if you want trophy class bucks to exist with somewhat frequency on the land scape

Laramie

WKR
Certainly depends on a state by state basis. No surprise that the Montana folks are saying 400" bulls are more common than 200" deer based on our season structures and management/mismanagement practices. Obviously not everything gets entered, but just look at Boone and Crocket entries and you'll see 10 400+" bulls since 2015 in Montana to only 3 200+" deer in the same time frame.

It's not uncommon to get a couple photos of 400+" elk any given year from Montana, where I can't say the same for deer.

*Edit: Looked at Montana's entries on FWP site and the numbers since 2015 are: 11 Elk officially over 400"; 2 deer over 200". Extended back to 2000, 12 deer, 18 elk. Similar enough numbers to B&C official website.

As for meeting Minimum scoring for B&C- 248 deer all time in Montana, 339 elk.

Again, Colorado would show an entirely different data set, as would Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Nevada etc.
I agree. I think regionally, one could be much more common than the other. In one state that I hunt there are quite a few 200" deer taken yearly. In the last 80 years, 93 over 200" have been entered in our local data base while only 7 elk over 400" have been entered. I believe a majority of the 200" deer go unentered. I know of 6, including one of mine, that have not and will not be entered. Most who hunt there don't want outsiders to have any idea.

I think just due to the larger range of mule deer, 200" deer are more common. I do think that as their numbers shrink, and wildlife management shifts towards trying to eliminate CWD, they are becoming more rare at a rapid pace.

ttjjpp

FNG
Not sure if the one I saw this year was 200” but I think he might have been close. At least in gross score. I estimated 185ish frame with at least 15” of extras maybe 20”; he’s got a 12-14” mainline on the left and good deep forks with long downturned main beams.

Never could get a stalk on him.

View attachment 640255
View attachment 640256
that is an awesome mule deer !!!!!