How steep is too steep

Looking for input on how steep is too steep. I’m trying to plan a walk in hunt via topo and satellite maps and would like to avoid getting stuck in one bowl cliffed out on all sides. The area I would like to access looks like shale and borderline too steep. Using rise/run X100 it ends up being 67%. Is that too dangerous to scramble up or am I being a weenie?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am pretty sure I have done quite a few 67% slopes without much trouble. Now, if you are actually talking 67 degrees, I think that is getting pretty steep. If the shale you are talking about is what I would call scree (small, loose rock that really wants to be at the bottom of the slope), how far could you go if it starts moving with you on/in it and what is below it? A few years ago, I was in some large, loose rock that really wanted to be at the bottom of the hill and it was kind of scary.

Will this be your first mountain trip? If so, I have found that the topo lines on maps really don’t do justice to how steep some hillsides are. Good luck on your hunt and be safe.

Catchfish

WKR
It’s steep but more concerning would be what is below, cliff, gentle slope and also depends on what the hill is made up as well. I’ve skipped a couple of chutes where I could have crossed and possibly slid down but they ended in a 300’ vertical drop. At that point I couldn’t grow wings fast enough so I did not cross had to go all the way to the bottom and back up instead of crossing the peak.

OP
M
Ok cool thanks for the reply guys. I live and hunt on Kodiak and this’ll be my first trip to the mainland mountains so I’m trying to play it safe.

Catchfish

WKR
If your on kodiak then you know steep! Same judgement for you there will work where ever your going, you already know some vegetation types can be bad and some good and different rock types have fun and be safe.

Jimbob

WKR
67% is a 33-degree slope. A 100% slope equals 45-degrees.

Brings ya back to high school trigonometry.

tan (angle) = rise/run

angle = inverse tan (rise/run)

If you turn your iPhone calculator sideways it brings up more functions so you can do trig with it.

oenanthe

WKR
If you're on Kodiak then you should be able to get an idea of the manageable grades there. Kodiak has a lot of really steep grass that can be really difficult (especially when wet!). Also, it might help if you gave us a general idea of which range on mainland AK you're looking at - Brooks, Chugach, etc..

A guess on my part, but did you spend time in Eliz. City?

Just remember, it can be tough getting those sheep or goats into a position where they won't fall. Nothing like walking up to a sheep and picking up pieces along the way.

tdot

WKR
The formula used does result in a % output. 67% (33degrees) is typically where most people start to consider something steep, but certainly not impassable. A black diamond ski run starts at 40 degrees.

One way to visualize is to measure your arm and your height to your shoulder. That will help you have a relative angle. Most guys are in the 45 degree range. Most people will naturally set a ladder below 45 degrees as they instinctively feel its too steep.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I agree/echo what the other guys have said
- the type of rocks, gravel, dirt & vegetation along with the steepness of the slope all account for wether I feel it’s passable or not.
A thin layer of lose gravel over sheer bed rock on steep slope above a cliff face...is a bad combination...

Angle of repose is the angle where loose rock dumped over a bank naturally stabilizes. We always considered it to be 37* (versus your 33* slope). I’d also consider most talus slopes to be around 37*....They’ll move a bit when you cross them.

Note that shale that is weathering and has “loose” chips on the surface is likely steeper than this. Be careful and have fun!!!!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If the topo lines are touching you might want to consider your life choices. At least I do anyway lol

If you're on Google earth you can go to options>tools> and change the terrain exaggeration from 1.0 to 1.3 or 1.4. Gives it a more realistic look.
Neither sat or topo can identify those 10' bands of cliffs that seem doable until you have to come down them.

leoni1

FNG
The quality of the footing is just as important as the inclination of the slope. A short pitch of ledgy 45 degrees (100% slope) above a grassy slope is doable, while a 35 degree wet grass and loose slope over cliffs can be terrifyingly dangerous.

There is far more to consider than just slope angle. I have used Google earth and some trigonometry to cheat and get an idea on whether slopes were doable. The instances that I recall doing it didn’t play out well in real life. I ended up scrambling some exposed ridges to find a work-around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're on Google earth you can go to options>tools> and change the terrain exaggeration from 1.0 to 1.3 or 1.4. Gives it a more realistic look.
Neither sat or topo can identify those 10' bands of cliffs that seem doable until you have to come down them.
Yeah, been there done that, lucky without a load that trip down. Those little cliffs over and over were stressing me out. Was getting past dark and the goal of getting down, can quickly cloud your judgment of going slow.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find I can climb steeper than I can descend, so that's definitely one factor I consider- no sense getting up to the top of something and you can get down

nope, too steep :)

CCgDF0g.jpg