How to find a good Labrador breeder?

I had a field trial bred lab and she was a handful.
Smart...Incredibly smart....like herding dogs and the stubbornness of an alpha female.
Good dog but she thought she was the leader of the pack.
Second Lab is from Tiger Mountain Pointing Lab lineage.
Sweet, biddable and very strong prey drive.
Mellow in the house and serious in the field.
Roosters didn't stand a chance with her.
Best dog ever.
She turns 13 this week and I wish I could clone her.

that's really good advice. I was way behind the power curve on retreiver training, and never quite got my dog to where he could have if I knew more earlier and fully committed to it (mom is MH/QAA, sire was MH). So, he's retired from hunt tests because I don't have the time to do it anymore, and he's sitting at 4 SH passes and way more fails, almost all breaking early while honoring. Training AKC retreiver games is fun, but takes serious time and space, plus some specialized equipment.

Wheels

WKR
Do you have a color in mind? I know a few guys in the business that know just about every reputable breeder out there.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Do you have a color in mind? I know a few guys in the business that know just about every reputable breeder out there.
Black, but temperament is more important than color. I’m looking for the right dog from a good breeder. It’s hard to filter out the bad ones, if you are ignorant of the process.

Wheels

WKR
If you have time it might be worthwhile going to the Master Nationals(GA) or HRCH Grand(KY) this fall and meet with some of the handlers/owners.
Best dogs in the hunt test circuit will be there, and should be some good breedings available.

Ebby

WKR
Go to Gundog Central, HuntingRetriever.net, Huntinglabpedigree.com and dig around. They all have good classified sections and you can tell pretty quick who's decent and who's not just by reading the ads typically. You can search within your area as well. Usually you want a dog with both parents from good stock and it's nice to have both parents titled themselves. That proves that they are capable dogs. I wouldn't worry too much about "Champion" dogs for parents although it's nice to have that in the line. A dog that has earned some level of title though is likely to be fairly trainable. A female with SH title for example may not be the top hunt test dog but she's likely been having litters and isn't run as much as some other dogs. She's prob very good and easy to train though even though she may not be a "champion".

You need to decide what you want though. Pure Hunt Test type dogs can be high energy and not great in the home. There are also lines of pointing labs, retrieving labs, shed hunting labs, service dog labs, etc. You should talk in person with the breeder as well. Find out what they are like and what they do. I prefer smaller breeders who only have 1-2 litters per year and not the bigger guys that put out 5-6 or more litters per year. I'm about to buy one from Orion Labs in Frankfort, IN. My first from him but I like what I've seen. He has a line of very versatile labs. Kind of a Renaissance Man type. "Jack of all trades, Master of none". His dogs, point, upland hunt, waterfowl retrieve and shed hunt some. Great home and field companions as well. Prob not the best at any one particular area but versatile enough that you can train them to do whatever you want.

Prices for a quality Pup are typically $1000-2500 or so. If you are seeing prices of $5k and up, those are usually older dogs that have been "started". They have had some level of training and you will pay more for them since someone has spent time and money on them. Sometimes those dogs are 9--0 months old and some time 3-5 years old. Just need to check.

Lee

jimh406

WKR
If you want a hunting dog, look for a hunting breeder or at least someone who hunts. Some people primarily hunt waterfowl, some hunt upland game, and some both. Sure, it's possible to use a field trial bred dog to hunt. They are generally a lot higher energy, more destructive, and harder to train. They do have more potential if you want a super polished dog.

I'd go to the AKC site and search out some hunt tests and shows and go talk to the owners/breeders to find out what they use their dogs for. Labs can vary tremendously.

More important than background is the health certifications of the parents. You can find out what certifications are more important for Labs online as well. An inexperienced breeder isn't necessarily an issue. The actual bloodline isn't either unless you plan to become a breeder.

Finally, decide if a Lab is really what you want. Lots of breeds can do the same type of hunting, but may make as good as or better pets.

Beendare

WKR
You can hand the keys of a race car to a person but if they dont know how to drive they will crash and those high power dogs are some top fuel dragsters.
Ain't that the truth.

I've seen so many dogs literally wrecked by their owners- slob dogs, its crazy.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
I messaged you, I can get you in contact with a friend who has some pups just born. this Dam is championed in field trials. He has good working dogs

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Ain't that the truth.

I've seen so many dogs literally wrecked by their owners- slob dogs, it’s crazy.
In all seriousness, I’m not looking for a race car. I’ve got a family and I’m on the road frequently. I don’t want a bulldozer of a dog that is going to make life tough for them. My last dog was a companion and hunting dog. I taught him what’ I could from DVDs and books, but it was Busch league and all I really did was give a little vector to his great instincts. He was great around the house, if a little high strung and hyper for a lab, but he had great drive in the field. He was smart and compliant and minded my wife. I’m looking for the same thing again, but to take this next pup up another level of training. I’m not looking for a champion. That being said, I’m looking for a breeder that breeds and trains from hunting stock because they are qualified to find a litter and a dog that will be a good match for us and what I plan on doing with him, both at home and in the field. It’s a big decision for me. If I find the right breeder, they can find me the right pup and help me learn to train.

I got a lab from a friend both hunting parents, neither ever focused on gaining titles , rather hunt/house dog. I had hunted with dogs that were vocal in the blind and new this was a trait I absolutely did not want. You should make a list to yourself what you are actually looking for in a dog and what you will use them for. She is my Hunting dog and Im diy training her , be careful its addicting. Started out 5-10 minutes a day now its a hour or hour and a half a day. Good luck with your search its a tough decision.

Last edited:

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t necessarily need a top tier breeder… just a solid reputable one who has a passion for their dogs. I’m looking for late fall or early winter, only because it’s supposed to be the family Christmas gift.
Are you wanting a no-kidding puppy? If you’re not set on that, I’d take a hard look at ~2 year old started dog or 2-3 year old field trial washout. You can take advantage of the thousands of dollars someone else stuck into training the dog, particularly for a field trial washout. Youngest dog now is a FT washout that my dad actually got for free. Despite me using the term “washout” she’ll put nearly any weekend-trained dog to shame, just was never going to be an FC/qualify for Nationals with some of her quirks.

Some of the retriever websites listed earlier have classifieds with started or similar dogs listed.

That being said, what KurtR said about handing someone the keys to race car and fancying themselves a driver is spot on. I would strongly recommend joining your local kennel club or finding some local dudes who train a lot who can show you the ropes. There’s a lot more that goes into it than throwing a bumper in your backyard, and if you can learn how to really train/handle the dog, it’s an experience like nothing else.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with what @KurtR said about titled dogs, and to add just a bit. FC/AFC dogs are elite athletes bred with the traits wanted in a hunting dog. There's a reason you see so many ex-NFL/MLB players with sons playing in the pros, they have the right genetics. Same goes with hunting dogs. For almost 30 years I've had dogs sired out of NFC/NAFC, most of the mother's (although bitches would have been appropriate term here) were not titled but out of titled dogs. All have been good, with two being great hunting dogs. All have been great house dogs. The biggest difference I've encountered with "field" dogs vs. show/family bred dogs is the need to burn energy on a regular basis. Not hyper or uncontrolled, just more of a need for exercise. They also tend to avoid the weight gain issues of the show bred dogs.

Training wise, I always did the basics but left them to a pro for finishing work. Partly based on the skill of the pro, but also for proper training grounds they have. Finding a good trainer is as important, maybe more, than finding the pup if you go this route.

I would recommend calling a good field trial trainer/breeder, not even necessarily in your area. The field trial world is pretty small and most can put you in touch with someone in your general search area. Haven't been in the market for a while but I would say $1500-$2000 is a reasonable expectation for cost for a pup properly credentialed. Gun dog central not a bad source to start. Good luck with the search.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'd give someone like Chris Akin/Webb Footed Kennel, a call. He's in Arkansas but is well known across the country. Just a thought, though...he might be willing to get you started in the right direction with someone in your area.

Macintosh

WKR
most of what I would say has already been said. Adding in my $.02...
If you will do all training yourself might be a diff story, but if you will work with a pro or training group I would get in touch with THEM about breeders and dogs to look at. I have visited and looked at dogs in person from at least 8 different breeders just on my last pup, plus the local hunt test club, several trainers and breeders, plus the usual trying to sift through the wheet and chaff on the go-to web forums, and will say that out of the whole bunch my local trainer friend who has helped me out with all my dogs has been 100% hands-down the best source of info on breeders, breedings, things to look for/stay away from in a dog. Some lines look great on paper, and may be great looking at a test or trial, but come with baggage that someone like me may have a hard time handling. You dont have to give up on biddability and desire to please, intelligence, and ability to think clearly in high-drive/high-pressure situations, to get a high drive dog...but its harder to find. Some lines of dogs that get a lot of press and are advertised becasue of a field-trial record, you couldnt pay me to own a pup from after having seen what they are like to train. Even many of the people I know who are into trials and hunt tests have only trained a handful of dogs, while a good pro trainer has hands-on experience with literally hundreds if not thousands of dogs--that kind of sample size allows them to have a much better formed opinion of what you are likely to get and what comes with it, so my advice would be to find a good trainer with a mindset you like, make sure they know what you actually want from the dog, and follow their advice on a breeding...they arent going to steer you to a dog that's a pain in the ass for them to train.
Also, dont get too hung up on "british" vs American. As commonly used british = fat, slow, low-drive show dogs..."labapotamous" is what I call those. Plenty of them out there. But you get to see a real british working dog, they have plenty of drive, plenty of athleticism, and arguably better odds of biddability/desire to please/trainability. Some of the best lines of American dogs have crossed out to British dogs at various times for just that reason. Bottom line, look for the dog, not the label on the dog.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would agree with what @KurtR said about titled dogs, and to add just a bit. FC/AFC dogs are elite athletes bred with the traits wanted in a hunting dog. There's a reason you see so many ex-NFL/MLB players with sons playing in the pros, they have the right genetics. Same goes with hunting dogs. For almost 30 years I've had dogs sired out of NFC/NAFC, most of the mother's (although bitches would have been appropriate term here) were not titled but out of titled dogs. All have been good, with two being great hunting dogs. All have been great house dogs. The biggest difference I've encountered with "field" dogs vs. show/family bred dogs is the need to burn energy on a regular basis. Not hyper or uncontrolled, just more of a need for exercise. They also tend to avoid the weight gain issues of the show bred dogs.

Training wise, I always did the basics but left them to a pro for finishing work. Partly based on the skill of the pro, but also for proper training grounds they have. Finding a good trainer is as important, maybe more, than finding the pup if you go this route.

I would recommend calling a good field trial trainer/breeder, not even necessarily in your area. The field trial world is pretty small and most can put you in touch with someone in your general search area. Haven't been in the market for a while but I would say $1500-$2000 is a reasonable expectation for cost for a pup properly credentialed. Gun dog central not a bad source to start. Good luck with the search.
I’ve been talking to East Carolina Retrievers. He was really helpful and he is mainly a trainer that does some breeding as well. It’s a good combo, and I can use him for training later down the road.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I can’t remember who recommended who, but I’ve narrowed it down to East Carolina Retrievers, Lone Duck Outfitters, and Peak Performance. All were solid trainers and breeders and spoke highly of each other. Now it’s down to finding a litter with traits and timing that work for us.

KurtR

WKR
I can’t remember who recommended who, but I’ve narrowed it down to East Carolina Retrievers, Lone Duck Outfitters, and Peak Performance. All were solid trainers and breeders and spoke highly of each other. Now it’s down to finding a litter with traits and timing that work for us.
Lone D and East Carolina were the two I mentioned and both Matt and Bob are good dudes.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I would view the fact that they all speak highly of each other as a positive. Lots of great people/trainers/breeders in the world of hunting/trial labs. Also, a few less likable types. The latter are usually not hard to figure out who they are by reputation. Looks like you have some good choices narrowed down. Best of luck with a new pup.