How to get over missing the big one?

Good luck.....

I missed a deer when I was 17 years old with my bow. Got a bit of white hair off of him but that was it.

I think about that deer at least 4 times a day and that was almost 25 years ago. I still have not seen a buck in the wild that big while I was hunting, and I have done a $hit load of hunting since then.

I missed a solid 300ish bull the first year I moved to Wyoming over 20 years ago and I still think about it with that pit in my stomach a few times a year.
30 yards bugling and sent that arrow right over his back.
You’ll crush him when you get the next chance on him.

I think about that deer at least 4 times a day and that was almost 25 years ago

images

Yeah … I know that feeling about 10 years ago during gun season.

I actually had 2 shots at the same buck but I miss judged the distance in a wide open LONG cut down corn field.

As the sun got lower on the final day of the season - only two hours of legal light left, I smoked a decent buck, only to have a real wall hanger step out of a gully to see what was going on. That antelope was probably the largest one I had put eyes on in 10 years of hunting up to that point. That taught me to hunt hard until the very end of the last day and never shoot a small buck if you really want a big one. It still makes my gut hurt telling the story. Lol

With archery you need to have a short term memory, eventually something will go wrong and its horrible feeling. A miss is way better than a bad hit though! Use it to get better! What went wrong and practice how to not let it happen again.

Back