How to process brass after unloading...before reloading

rideold

WKR
I've been searching around about how to handle brass that has been unloaded but haven't found much. I have a couple of boxes that I have unloaded because they were going over pressure. I've figure out what went wrong there but now I want to re-load the primed cases that I've just unloaded. Do I need to blow out the cases with compressed air or anything like that to make sure there isn't any powder stuck inside or anything like that? Should I just look inside with a light to see if they are truly empty? Does it matter? I just noticed that as I unloaded them and then knocked them out into a powder bottle the bin I was tossing them into had some powder in the bottom when I was done so I started wondering if there is a process for unloading brass that I should be completing.

Ramem7mm

FNG
I assume you want to put new powder in them and shoot them again with new/ different powder or weight and new bullet. If that's correct what is the intent of the ammo? For plinking or hunting application? For plinking you can just try and get all the powder out and use a light to shine in and verify and then proceed as normal with adding powder and bullets. Others may chime in about neck tension. You can check and see after loading a bullet if you have a couple thousandths of neck tension you are probably ok. Load a few up and go to the range and test the accuracy.

Visually check that the powder emptied or you’ll be in an over pressure situation once again. Other than that, nothing. You might try to size your necks back down but I never have. Just load and go after the visual.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
You nee to carefully remove the primers and resize the neck area of the cases.
It will not hurt anything to blow out the insides to assure any powder granules are clered out but that might not be necessary if your using the same exact powder again.
The primers can be reused of course.

You nee to carefully remove the primers and resize the neck area of the cases.
It will not hurt anything to blow out the insides to assure any powder granules are clered out but that might not be necessary if your using the same exact powder again.
The primers can be reused of course.
Why remove the primers? They can be sized without knocking out good primers.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Why remove the primers? They can be sized without knocking out good primers.
actually thats true if he take apart his sizing die to remove the decp pin and intends on reusing the same exact powder.
Otherwise it might be best to let the decap pin clear out the flash hole of any leftover powder granules. Might not be needed for stick powder but some ball powder has really small granules.

OP
R

rideold

WKR
Grand. Thanks much. Yes, I will be using the same powder (Accurate 2700) but will be reloading for general range practice (trigger time for my son) rather than hunting or competition. I had planned on reloading with a mid-range charge just in case. If it matters for neck tension, I used the RCBS press mounted bullet puller.

rayporter

WKR
tap the case upside down on the table a couple times and resize the neck with the deprimer out of the die. no need to over think this. if its a full length die just unscrew the die an eighth of a turn.