How to save a tough backstrap

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I shot an old buck and bull in 2021 and we've been slowly working through it... slowly...

I've been hearing about shooting old tough animals since I made our first meal of tenderloin. Well fast forward last week, wife found some backstrap from both the bull and buck. To drive her point home she cooked those two chunks of backstrap and one from a doe one of my sons shot.

The doe backstrap was completely eaten. The buck after eating some, was sliced super thin for a soup. We now just have the bull backstrap and I wanted to find a way to save this super tough section of backstrap.

What are some go-to recipes for tough lean cuts?

Tod osier

WKR
Okay, I shot an old buck and bull in 2021 and we've been slowly working through it... slowly...

I've been hearing about shooting old tough animals since I made our first meal of tenderloin. Well fast forward last week, wife found some backstrap from both the bull and buck. To drive her point home she cooked those two chunks of backstrap and one from a doe one of my sons shot.

The doe backstrap was completely eaten. The buck after eating some, was sliced super thin for a soup. We now just have the bull backstrap and I wanted to find a way to save this super tough section of backstrap.

What are some go-to recipes for tough lean cuts?

Sous vide 4 hours at 125 F then a quick sear for color.

Pro953

WKR
Schnitzel or similar preparations are always successful for the family & kids tend to like it as well.

Have you tried to wet age or for a couple weeks? That might help. I usually leave everything in a vac bag in the refrigerator for at least a week and I find it helps.

We also like to make Korean BBQ type of preparations. Longer marinades can help sometimes.

You can get a Jaccard (sp?) but I find mixed results.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I should have been a little bit more clear. I have a chunk that has already been cooked but it's too tough to just slice and eat. I do a quick sear and then put it on the smoker till it hits 130.

Blackcow

WKR
Since it’s already cooked, anything sliced paper thin or diced or chopped. Then soups, chili, chipped “beef” over rice or egg noodles, etc.

I guess I should have been a little bit more clear. I have a chunk that has already been cooked but it's too tough to just slice and eat. I do a quick sear and then put it on the smoker till it hits 130.
So already cooked to internal temp of 130, about mid rare or there abouts?
If it sitting somewhere around mid rare, you could throw it in the crockpot and slow cook it a bit longer since you still got some room to cook it temp wise.
Hate to do it to a backstrap but I usually do a roast/Italian beef style and make sandwiches with the some tougher cuts of whitetails

Crock pot on lowest setting for about 7-10hrs or until fork tender
Slice onion
put meat on top of onion
Au jus packet sprinkled on top
Half a jar of pepperoncini with half the liquid
Pour in a beer of your choice. I prefer a golden ale or lager of some sort.

Might not work in your situation with it already cooked but it's worth a shot.

Good luck

Chop it up fine and put it in chili, soup, or casserole of some sort. Or use as taco/quesadilla filler or meat sauce for spaghetti. It's a shame to have to do that to backstrap, but at least it will get eaten.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
As it’s already cooked the only thing you can do is to finely chop it and use it in something like tacos, soup, or chili. That way it will be eaten and also that’s not a bad way to save a backstrap after all.

WKR
Down the road, take up canning. Older critters work out great once canned up. Can use in all types of dishes.

Chunk it. Slow cooker in some form of sauce - Curry, mississippi pot roast, etc.

4-6 hours will break it down.

Foil wrap to minimize moisture loss, then 220F in oven for an hour or two. Gets more tender the longer you cook it, just like a chuck roast. Super simple and it works for almost all meat.

We literally did this yesterday with some tough brisket. Went from tasty tough to tasty tender. Very nice.

Last edited:

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Turn it into italian beef sandwiches. You could take what you have and slice it thin and heat the slices in an italian beef broth. If still tough, you could crockpot it or instapot it low and slow or pressure cook it in the instapot for a shorter time.

Last edited:
I’d make Philly cheese steaks.

Get a sharp filet knife and slice it as thin as you possibly can. Like paper thin, against the grain. Maybe chop the resulting pieces a bit too.

Sauté some onions and peppers till soft, then throw in the meat just to warm it up, and some mozzarella cheese. Mix it all together until the cheese melts. Serve on a warm bun.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My suggestion is a variation on the theme of slow-cook-it-to-save-it, but I like to take cooked, leftover meat and turn it into a ragu (e.g. sometimes I"ll smoke an 12 - 14 pound brisket and end up with a spare pound or two by mid-week). I'll usually dice it before adding it to the other ingredients.

I too still have a little from 2021 a nasty old bull. No fat on the feller. Wife and I ground what we couldn’t slice into jerky. Best decision in awhile. Been keeping antelope and mule deer for steaks. I don’t care for the flavor of elk. Wish I could get the same volume of meat from antelope though!