HOYT HELIX ULTRA Review

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
It's finally spring! Tags results are posting, bears and turkeys are hitting the ground and I am setting up new bows.

With Justin reviewing the RX-3, I will be reviewing the new Helix Ultra this spring. This is my first aluminum riser since 2015 when I shot a Nitrum Turbo. The Nitrum was easily one of my all time favorite bows and felt like an extension of my arm. I took several great animals that year with it including a couple bucks that grossed B&C. I still love the carbon riser bows and also have a RX-3 Turbo so I will be able to give you a good comparison of the two.

Complete review: Hoyt Helix Ultra Review

Last edited by a moderator:

Slim Jim

WKR
It's finally spring! Tags results are posting, bears and turkeys are hitting the ground and I am setting up new bows.

With Justin reviewing the RX-3, I will be reviewing the new Helix Ultra this spring. This is my first aluminum riser since 2015 when I shot a Nitrum Turbo. The Nitrum was easily one of my all time favorite bows and felt like an extension of my arm. I took several great animals that year with it including a couple bucks that grossed B&C. I still love the carbon riser bows and also have a RX-3 Turbo so I will be able to give you a good comparison of the two.

Nice! Looking forward to it Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Hoyt risers always seem great to me. I’m more interested in their cam changes.

I reverted backwards instead of forwards first time in my life and bought 2 Nitrum 34’s from my brother because of the Z5 cam.

To me right now, nothing is touching a Z5 cam.

I reverted backwards instead of forwards first time in my life and bought 2 Nitrum 34’s from my brother because of the Z5 cam.

Really hard to stop shooting my nitrum 34. It flat shoots. I do have a rx-1 ultra that shoots/feels nice but I always pick up the nitrum first.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

Have you shot the 2019 bows? They surprised me.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Really hard to stop shooting my nitrum 34. It flat shoots. I do have a rx-1 ultra that shoots/feels nice but I always pick up the nitrum first.

I miss my old Nitrim Turbo but this Helix Ultra is nothing like it. It’s super smooth and 70# feels like 60#.

Last edited:

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks in advance Tony,
I can't wait for this review. I have a 2015 Nitrum Turbo and looking to upgrade. Wanting to stay with Hoyt, but with QC/QA issues lately, I've been looking at Mathews also.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks in advance Tony,
I can't wait for this review. I have a 2015 Nitrum Turbo and looking to upgrade. Wanting to stay with Hoyt, but with QC/QA issues lately, I've been looking at Mathews also.
You bet man, I will get it out as soon as possible. As for the recent RX-3 sight mount issue, it's not every bow. I have a new 2019 RX-3 that has zero sight plate issues.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Helix Ultra for about 2 months now. I went with the barren camo, #3 cams and a 29.5 in draw. I maxed out the weight and figure it's around 70-72 pounds. My arrow weight is 425 grains and my 5 shot average through my chrono was 289. So far I've been super impressed by this bow, and I think it'll hold me over for a few years at least.
b1ca0b989013c5d715a90bc71a600025.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Nice looking set up. I will get more pics of mine out this next week. I am enjoying shooting it as much as any bow I have had in a long time.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just finished shooting the Helix for the CBC.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished shooting the Helix for the CBC.

Great shooting man. So Tony, is the bow or is it the shooter?

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I recently spent some time shooting this bow and thought pretty highly of it. If you are a cable stop fan and a bit softer back wall, this would be a really good choice.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
I spent some time last Sunday shooting the Ultra and the Traverse at my local bow shop. Definitely leaning towards the Ultra, but I'm going to shoot both again (hopefully this afternoon).

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Well Tony, I couldn't wait any longer for your review. LOL

I just ordered my first new bow ever. It was a hard decision between the Ultra and the Traverse. Both were great shooting bows.

My bow shop had the Ultra in 70#, 29" No. 3 cam and the Traverse at 60#, 29".

I ordered the Ultra based on my preference for it's draw cycle and 65# max limbs. The Traverse was a little bit quieter and a little less hand shock, but the draw cycle even at 60# made my shoulder sore and felt jumpy at the wall.

Stone Ultra, 65#, 75% LO, No. 2 Cam. Going to be hard waiting for the estimated 4 weeks for delivery.