Hoyt RX4, my thoughts >>———->

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Generally speaking I don’t take twist out and would rather add so I do this accordingly, whether it’s adding to the CC or to the BC at the yoke legs in this case with their new cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Shane, thats basically what I thought. I have owned Prime for the last 3 years and thats similar to how I would have tuned them, twists in the up or down cable, Never taking any out.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
This platform and the current cam change is just a super forgiving platform. Simple to tune, forgiving to a wide range of spine, well balanced and just a great looking bow.

The pin float and forgiveness pulling through the wall, whether more static on the backend or more dynamic pulling through the shot m, you see very little change on pin float.

Definitely back on board with the changes. The RX3 was solid but the RX4 is darn near the perfect refinement that I’ve been wanting to see.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Hoyt RX4 Alpha is really efficient with heavier arrows. In the #2 cam that’s equivalent to a 349 IBO speed calculation. With the best draw cycle to date from them IMO. Waiting on an Axcel Carbon Accutouch Accustat 3 pin and I’ll be dialing these arrows in.

Specs
28/74#
500 gr arrow
280 fps

497e3172ef2c0630d24402e16bbdc28a.jpg

d55df082eac5665fe651440161cf0e22.jpg

6eb840aa906fecba377ab41f669ec444.jpg

a2c864efde158438d9bdb31230af2bfc.jpg

Hoyt RX4 Alpha is really efficient with heavier arrows. In the #2 cam that’s equivalent to a 349 IBO speed calculation. With the best draw cycle to date from them IMO. Waiting on an Axcel Carbon Accutouch Accustat 3 pin and I’ll be dialing these arrows in.

Specs
28/74#
500 gr arrow
280 fps

497e3172ef2c0630d24402e16bbdc28a.jpg

d55df082eac5665fe651440161cf0e22.jpg

6eb840aa906fecba377ab41f669ec444.jpg

a2c864efde158438d9bdb31230af2bfc.jpg

Shane, are you getting 74# out of 70 lbs or 80 lbs limbs?

Thanks

treillw

WKR
I'm trying to decide between the RX4 Alpha, Turbo, or Ultra and the PSE Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
I'm trying to decide between the RX4 Alpha, Turbo, or Ultra and the PSE Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

All solid bows but my choice would be the Alpha or Ultra. They may make me settle down with bow purchases and that would be a tall order

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
These ZTR cams are so forgiving. Shots that I don’t feel shouldn’t hit their mark some how still find it. I’ve shot a lot of bows over the years and not sure I’ve experienced this much forgiveness in a bow before.

You don’t hear much talk about them as most the talk has been regarding Dudley leaving Hoyt etc.

I’ve been getting a few text messages of guys saying how forgiving and accurate they are shooting the RX4 series, mainly the Ultra and Alpha. One guy in particular has been comparing results to his Evokes, which he loves the Evolve cams but told me he’s seeing more forgiveness in the RX4 and shooting it better.

Since I owned both Evokes and just about every Evolve cam bow PSE has come out with I simply agreed. It’s a little “ Eerie “ as another buddy commented about the forgiveness he’s seeing as well.

It’s one of those bows that will more than likely standout than just what’s on paper spec wise. I’ll I know is my confidence is extremely high when pulling up to the 100 yard mark knowing it will land within a 7” orange tape area I put on the 100 yard target. I haven’t even missed that 7” area yet at 100 yards. It really is a little eerie.

I have people ask about the backwall as it’s not like a limb stop bow. No, it’s not like a limb stop bow. One thing about a limb stop bow I don’t prefer is my bad shots are generally farther off the mark when I’m not doing my part.

This is something that you can’t see on paper, by specs alone. Don’t get me wrong I can shoot limb stop bows very well but this RX4 has me hung up on forgiveness this year. I’m finding it exceptionally forgiving when comparing all other bows I have owned.

Another Eerie thing about this is the pin float. It’s got solid pin float but I can think of a few bows I’ve had that I would say are better and edge the RX4 out in that area, but for whatever reason, I’m still shooting the RX4 Alpha and Ultra better.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes in a bow but for me, this one is way up there do to it’s “Super Forgiving” status I would give it.

Thought I’d share some little details from my experience and others that have contacted me, that are seeing similar characteristics about the RX4’s.

Shoot straight regardless what you shoot

Zac

WKR
What would you say the difference is in shootability between the carbon and aluminum models?

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
The RX4 wins out for me on fine tuning, overall balance, feel in the hand, draw cycle, grip and curb appeal.
Does your bow feel front heavy, with that dovetail ran out so far and the longer stabilizer, without a backer bar? I had to bring might dovetail sight back in a little bit and take the weight off my stabilizer on my RX4, because it felt like it was really front heavy.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Does your bow feel front heavy, with that dovetail ran out so far and the longer stabilizer, without a backer bar? I had to bring might dovetail sight back in a little bit and take the weight off my stabilizer on my RX4, because it felt like it was really front heavy.

I like a bow to fall forward on the shot so it falls right in my wheel house setup like this. I really don’t care for a bow that sits neutral after the shot, as I feel it’s less forgiving as follow through is harder to duplicate if your not spot on.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not pulling really hard on the back wall. I find that I'm pretty static on the back end and with the Rx4 I had to mess around a little bit with my weight on the front to get it to feel just right. Just curious about your set up.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
I'm not pulling really hard on the back wall. I find that I'm pretty static on the back end and with the Rx4 I had to mess around a little bit with my weight on the front to get it to feel just right. Just curious about your set up.

This is the key to optimizing pin float with any bow. Many don’t even consider it but finding that sweet spot from static to dynamic into the wall is critical.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
This is the key to optimizing pin float with any bow. Many don’t even consider it but finding that sweet spot from static to dynamic into the wall is critical.
It took me about a year of shooting a hinge to figure out that static is where I make my money, then it took me about another year of shooting to turn it in to muscle memory. Every once in a while, I will notice an abnormal amount of pin float and over half the time it's because I'm pulling too hard into the back wall.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
It’s one of those bows that will more than likely standout than just what’s on paper spec wise. I’ll I know is my confidence is extremely high when pulling up to the 100 yard mark knowing it will land within a 7” orange tape area I put on the 100 yard target. I haven’t even missed that 7” area yet at 100 yards. It really is a little eerie.
This is something that you can’t see on paper, by specs alone. Don’t get me wrong I can shoot limb stop bows very well but this RX4 has me hung up on forgiveness this year. I’m finding it exceptionally forgiving when comparing all other bows I have owned.
I can agree 100% on this.
A friend of mine likes to give me crap about always shooting carbon bows and how its unnecessary and wont help my accuracy..... etc..... . I can honestly say it feels like this bow shoots itself sometimes. I know I'm not that good. hahahahahaha. Tuning took about 10 minutes. And I've probably got about 300 arrows downrange with it and my confidence in accuracy with the RX4 is better than any hunting bow I've ever owned.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
It took me about a year of shooting a hinge to figure out that static is where I make my money, then it took me about another year of shooting to turn it in to muscle memory. Every once in a while, I will notice an abnormal amount of pin float and over half the time it's because I'm pulling too hard into the back wall.

I can completely relate, been there and still find myself every once in awhile pulling to hard into the wall creating unnecessary pin float.

nprunes21

FNG
ea3211125746c322c0919670b8c21abf.jpg

338ee8c7cfa22f21efcfa0f73987004a.jpg

Not ground breaking technology breakthroughs but nonetheless, there are notable differences that may matter to some when comparing the RX3 to RX4.

The biggest difference for me is the tweaking of the cam tracks that allow for a better overall tune setting. I am finding the RX4 more forgiving in nock travel. Whether pulling hard, soft or somewhere in between you don’t have the swings in tears through paper with bareshafts. All this while allowing you to tune top cam hitting slightly ahead and maintaining nock level at brace.
This has also paved the way to allow for more forgiveness at the grip, as I haven’t seen those high tears that has plagued them here and there the last few years in certain draw length settings.

Valley is a touch better, even in the #2 cam and the backwall firmer. I’m choosing to take the rubber out of the stop for a touch more firmness.

When comparing the #2 cam to the #3 cam I’m finding the 2 to be a little more quieter. They still aren’t Triax quiet but don’t really have any concerns myself in this area. Don’t see it costing me any concerns in the field.
It does have a slight pop to it on the shot due to the mass weight and hollow tube construction. Really no noticeable vibe, even while hitting the side of the limbs or on the shot.

Holds on target well so far with no really excessive pin float for its mass weight and how short it is.

Finish appearance wise is a little better but I feel the finish is the one area we still need to be perfected on carbon. Wouldn’t be surprised if the rattle can comes out at the end of a hard hunt for some touch up.

Right out of the box total adjustments needed for clean bareshafts to start are

1 full twist in right side yoke
1 full twist out of left side
1/2 twist in the control cable
Centershot 13/16 off leading edge of riser not rubber
Nock height dead level
Top cam hitting just shy of 1/16 ahead of the bottom cam

No real drastic changes to initial setting out of the box. Doesn’t get much easier

Specs
28” on the money true measured draw
74#
423 gr arrow
302-303 fps

Overall, I feel they nailed tune setting finally, at least to what I prefer them. Just a more forgiving setup and tune friendly.

d4689e342fb021a425cc6f8ae35a5559.jpg

086a3ec043cf9ce7b2c4b1ea4a7fda1f.jpg

Is this the Subalpine camo? Looks great!