Hoyt RX8 Test and Review Q&A/Ideas

sndmn11

WKR
PXL_20240125_000848899.jpg

Grabbed an RX8 after finding some things last year that I liked about the Elite Era, and some things that I thought could be better. Hoyt's RX8 showed up last week and with a new session of I door league starts this week, the timing was great.

PXL_20240129_222639277.jpg

Bummer number one was the hard tail-right tear I was showing. Hoyt did change the way the shims and axles are configured for 2024, but a trip to RMSgear was in order since I'm only familiar with Deadlock and SET

PXL_20240130_173612213.jpgPXL_20240130_173716665.jpgPXL_20240130_201200203.jpg
Moved the cams right, and it was a very simple effort to press the bow, unscrew the axle, and slide in some new shims.
For those interested, here is the RX8 shim chart link 2024 | HBX Xact Cam - Spacer Tune Chart (PDF)
Here's the chart...
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 2.49.24 PM.png
Off to the races now....

What are you interested in learning about the RX8 and would like to see covered?

@robby denning

Hnthrdr

WKR
Let’s hear about draw cycle, let off, back wall. Deadness in the hand. Go! Currently shoot the RX-1 and RX-5 which will probably be my backup even though it’s newer…

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Let’s hear about draw cycle, let off, back wall. Deadness in the hand. Go! Currently shoot the RX-1 and RX-5 which will probably be my backup even though it’s newer…
So far the drop into anchor is the most notable thing for me. At 30.25" DL I usually see a big dump (Bowtechs) or a slight one (Omnia/Era) into anchor. This cam does not have that for me at the highest setoff setting. I had an inner ear and sinus surgery last week and so had only shot in the garage to get things to settle, but I did change the draw stop over to the "harder" setting. It's just like a limb stop but without the bounce if you go into it too hard. If I had an Ultra I would shoot it there, but I believe it also shortens the DL just enough that I moved it back to the standard configuration.

"Deadness" is great and so are all the other subjective 10' bow test things one might look for...
...those things, and the reported speed, are why I ended up with one.

I did cuss it on Saturday when I went out to the club to tune, and then finding out I was at a standstill until I got it into the hands of someone who knew what they were doing to swap the shims and had them available. I went out yesterday with all my arrows hoping it was a spine issue, but they were all identical. I shot it without a stabilizer of any kind today and I think it has a lot of promise in putting an arrow behind the pin, and my eagle eye says it might be as fast as the beloved Omnia.

I did cuss it on Saturday when I went out to the club to tune, and then finding out I was at a standstill until I got it into the hands of someone who knew what they were doing to swap the shims and had them available. I went out yesterday with all my arrows hoping it was a spine issue, but they were all identical.

Are you saying you're still having some tuning challenges after adjusting the shims?

Looking hard at picking up an Alpha X 33, but have read some cases of Hoyts in general being difficult to tune. Coming from a Bowtech that has been a total cakewalk, I'm a little apprehensive about the Hoyt. I have a full at-home now shop with a press and everything though.

Are my concerns about Hoyt tunability warranted at all?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Are you saying you're still having some tuning challenges after adjusting the shims?

Looking hard at picking up an Alpha X 33, but have read some cases of Hoyts in general being difficult to tune. Coming from a Bowtech that has been a total cakewalk, I'm a little apprehensive about the Hoyt. I have a full at-home now shop with a press and everything though.

Are my concerns about Hoyt tunability warranted at all?

I don't think there will be any issues after shimming today. @TheViking has a AlphaX33 and was over at the house a little bit on Sunday. I'm 99% certain he said he did not have to shim his and he is very particular of getting things perfect.

Have not shot broadheads, but have never had issues with a clean tear and broadhead tuning. The arrow is dead down the center and the windage on the sight is the closest I've ever had to marching that, so I don't believe there is anything wonky but hidden.

I did miss using Deadlock or SET. I can tune and sight in from scratch with a confirmed sight tape in two hours with either system. I was bummed being helpless when I am inquisitive and handy enough to be more than self sufficient. The reality is that swapping the shims takes all of two minutes, you just need the shims and the little half moon tool to hold them is helpful.

TheViking

WKR
I don't think there will be any issues after shimming today. @TheViking has a AlphaX33 and was over at the house a little bit on Sunday. I'm 99% certain he said he did not have to shim his and he is very particular of getting things perfect.

Have not shot broadheads, but have never had issues with a clean tear and broadhead tuning. The arrow is dead down the center and the windage on the sight is the closest I've ever had to marching that, so I don't believe there is anything wonky but hidden.

I did miss using Deadlock or SET. I can tune and sight in from scratch with a confirmed sight tape in two hours with either system. I was bummed being helpless when I am inquisitive and handy enough to be more than self sufficient. The reality is that swapping the shims takes all of two minutes, you just need the shims and the little half moon tool to hold them is helpful.

I did not have to shim.

Where’s your center shot at? Hoyt doesn’t have a set center shot. My tuned a hair shy of 3/4”

18d6ab5404be9eb2cb4d7d1be2d625c3.jpg

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I did not have to shim.

Where’s your center shot at? Hoyt doesn’t have a set center shot. My tuned a hair shy of 3/4”

18d6ab5404be9eb2cb4d7d1be2d625c3.jpg
It's in between 13/16" and 3/4". I didn't adjust the rest from where it was on the Era (13/16"ish), and Colton did it a little wiggle to the inside but one probably wouldn't be able to see my sharpie witness marks had moved.

@sndmn11 Awesome! The new Hoyts have some really appealing features, but moving away from the ease of Bowtech's Deadlock tuning has me a little nervous. I've got all the means to easily deal with Hoyts shim system though, and hearing that yours and @TheViking tuned easily inspires some more confidence.

TheViking

WKR
@sndmn11 Awesome! The new Hoyts have some really appealing features, but moving away from the ease of Bowtech's Deadlock tuning has me a little nervous. I've got all the means to easily deal with Hoyts shim system though, and hearing that yours and @TheViking tuned easily inspires some more confidence.

Huge fan of the Alpha X 33 so far! 1/4” adjustments have been awesome, especially since I’m a true 30.25” draw.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR

If I had the shims and that little tool I'd have done it with my little bow master press. I do like the color pop though!

I'd also say that I impart torque somewhere in mu shooting. That was the first bow he had put the red ones on. He did say that the four Hoyt models have been coming to them with seemingly random silver shim placement and most needed moved around but very few needed a new color.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
@BroccoliRob I am borrowing a Garmin Xero from @Ucsdryder.

I got the Omnia and rx8 within .05lbs of each other (60.56 and 69.61) and the RX8 had an actual DL of 30.125ish" whereas the Omnia is set at 30.375"ish. I'm getting 3-7fps faster with the RX8 than the Omnia in a few different arrow weights.

This RX8 is calculating as spot on as I have seen with the below link.

294-296fps is what the tuned 466gr arrows are at on the Garmin.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 3.33.17 PM.png

TheViking

WKR
@sndmn11 my Alpha X 33 was dead on with the Omnia calculator as well. Very happy with the speeds I am getting!

71.5#s
30.25" DL setting (did not officially measure)
80% LO
500 grains
281 fps

JStol5

WKR
Just curious- why not an ultra? For your draw length, I would think that a longer riser might be preferable.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Just curious- why not an ultra? For your draw length, I would think that a longer riser might be preferable.
I thought being on the turtle side of the module on a bow rated in the low 330s would make me sad. I am the weak link on accuracy with the Omnia and I've never felt with that bow that I am executing better than it is capable. I did feel sometimes the Era let me down.

So, a BIG dip in velocity to still be the weak link didn't seem like a good idea and I think the RX8 is applicable to more hunters than the ultra.

I would shoot an ultra for sure but 5’8” it’s over half my height. It’s a pain in the mountains and tree stand.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Needed to see if the factory strings would get wonky in cold/wet, if things went sideways with the addition of possible torque from layering up, and if the grip agreed with gloves. All went well.

49yds quiver in front
PXL_20240203_193212885.jpg

53yds quiver on side
PXL_20240203_194659055.jpg

Self timer and the gorillapod
PXL_20240203_200312615.jpg
PXL_20240203_201402664.jpg