Hunt planning Alaska Outdoors

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever used, or know of anyone that has used M. Strahan's hunt planning service for diy moose? Or something similar?
It's expensive but seems it might be worth it to reduce the learning curve.

Hughiam

FNG
Ive met Mike up here and his service is good. So is Pristine Ventures/Larry Bartlett. You could also contact one of the flight services ie Papa Bear out of Bethel and they can put together a package for you. Im fortunate enough to live in Alaska, so haven't needed a service, but have flown with Papa Bear and am again in September.
Hugh.

For what i's worth, I believe I heard Strahan is no longer in state and maybe even not in country any more.. I don't know if or how that impacts his hunt planning services.

From what I understand, his hunt planning and gear outfitting was based mostly around float hunts on fairly traditional river systems. No personal experience though.

AKBorn

WKR
Check with one of the mods on the Alaska Outdoors directory to check on the info that Yellowknife provided above. Brian, Perry, or one of the guys should be able to fill you in.

bmrfish

WKR
I contacted Larry Bartlett a couple of weeks ago. He is booked through 2024.

We’ve contracted with Larry three times. Great service. Fantastic trips. Not surprising he is in demand.

734ebd995578acafb2ff8f950e44b9c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
'Preciate the responses. I talked to Mike a few days ago and he is now living outside of AK. He moved to support his wife through some health issues. Says he is still in the game and goes back to AK often. I plan on getting some references from him. Thought I'd throw the ask out here to see what kind of feedback other have. I'll be 59 in 2020 and feel the need to speed the learning curve up for this hunt. Not much time for mulligans.

Johnboy

WKR
I hired Mike Strahan to help me plan my 2016 float hunt, which was a huge success. He's helping me again with my float next September (2019) for no additional charge. Super nice guy, very knowledgeable and experienced. For me, it was worth the expense, given I was completely new to the float approach to hunting.

AKBorn

WKR
'Preciate the responses. I talked to Mike a few days ago and he is now living outside of AK. He moved to support his wife through some health issues. Says he is still in the game and goes back to AK often. I plan on getting some references from him. Thought I'd throw the ask out here to see what kind of feedback other have. I'll be 59 in 2020 and feel the need to speed the learning curve up for this hunt. Not much time for mulligans.

If you'll be 59 in 2020, and have never hunted (or have never float hunted) Alaska before, please do plenty of research here and on the Alaska Outdoors Directory. Float hunting for moose is a lot of work, and I have talked to 2 different groups in the past 4 years who both ended up in the river when the raft (which handles WAY differently with a moose in it) hit a sweeper and they lost control and went in. In addition, a different float party had to pay a fine for a bit of meat that got bad from a moose shot early in the hunt. Lots of variables on a float hunt; Mike's help will be invaluable, but a big part is being physically and mentally prepared for a workout.

OP
H

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sold on a float hunt. In fact, because of the advice from here, I'm quite leery. It's my call, of course, and I'll am researching like a college final for this. If I get a hunt partner with float experience that may tilt the pros in favor of that.
I'm really amazed at the help you and others are so free to give. Thank you!

Johnboy

WKR
Float hunting for moose is a lot of work, and I have talked to 2 different groups in the past 4 years who both ended up in the river when the raft (which handles WAY differently with a moose in it) hit a sweeper and they lost control and went in.

Herbie03, I suggest you take this particular comment very seriously. If you're floating a remote river in AK, there ain't a hotel around each river bend. Moving water is inherently dangerous. Now add to those dangers some cold, wet, windy weather, and then add an extra 800+ lbs of animal flesh to your raft weight, and the stress levels can rise in a hurry.

A successful float hunt is incredibly rewarding, but the risks are definitely higher than a typical drop hunt -- especially if you have zero rafting experience. If you decide to pull the trigger and give it a go, I highly recommend getting some experience rowing (yes, rowing, not paddling... there's a difference) a heavy vessel in moving water. I speak from limited experience, which is why I'm offering this advice. I have just enough experience to know that float hunting is nothing to be trifled with. Never let your confidence exceed your ability!

AKDoc

WKR
Keep doing your research sir...hunting Alaska is a remarkable and unique experience. Be well informed and well prepared, and then do it. Numerous wonders and challenges await you. Talking to Mike and Larry are great resources for sure.

Consider doing a drop off in a remote area with good moose numbers, where you can call and hunt from camp, and then be picked up at the same location without having to float to a pick-up. Don’t get me wrong...float trips are really a great adventure. I have two of Larry’s excellent inflatables, and I love the heck out of float trips. However, float trips definately add numerous other variables...not impossibilities, just other variables to learn and prepare in advance...Alaska can be seriously unforgiving for the poorly prepared.

Don’t let your age stop you, but you do need to be physically in good shape...there is nothing lite about moose hunting whatsoever.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sir, if you are 59 years old then I have to assume you've also embraced a more conservative approach to life...?

What I know Strahan can do for a like-minded group is give them good conservative advise on where to hunt and how guys like him pursue a safe enjoyable trip. He's not a minimalist like me. His rafts are heavier than they need to be, but they are sound. His pilots complain that his groups come with too much gear, but few hunters complain about his advice. He lives outside the US, but his experience is vast, especially with logistics, IMO. If he recommends an area, it's paid off for hunters in the past. He's not a crook. He has a conscience, and I respect his knowledge.

However...the Alaska landscape (politically and land-rights related) is changing faster than Strahan (or I) will be able to manage from afar. If you book with him in the next 3-5 years I think you're good to go on specifics he can offer. But beyond that Alaska's access to public lands will become more challenging for hunters, causing a congestion or concentration on once remote options. This year alone I lost 5 spots to re-discovery and pressure. I'm having to get creative to call myself a Hunt Planner by managing revenue streams that have longer gevity if you know what I mean...

Beyond BLM's protocal to return public lands (42% of the state of Alaska) to Native Groups and individuals on fast track since 2004, Native groups have ownership in development egendas for Alaska and politicians have a working fluid motion with processes that do not compliment non-native hunter gatherers. It's a booming energy that will soon culminate in a tremendous turmoil for non-local, non-native DIY hunters all over the state.

I digress...if you are conservative minded and are willing to plan your own logistics Mike will serve you well. Be clear with your goals and ask for references for that specific trip. Stay aware of socio-political issues that affect your hunting rights in your area. ADFG, BLM, and the Federal Subsistence Board are three good references for current issues affecting hunters.

good luck, go prepared

OP
H

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all. Makes me feel like I've got a chance to pull this off with your help.
Thank you Larry for the endorsement of Mike. That says, to me, a lot about the kind of person you are. I'll keep an eye on my gear list and try to keep it pare'd down. I would say I'm more conservative with taking chances than I used to be, but I'm still willing (dumb enough) to...take risks that are a little less risky.
AKDoc, "a drop off in a remote area with good moose numbers". there's the rub.

I think we should all be pushing back on our politicians and they're greedy self interests. I have been watching and pushing for a few years now. I'm very glad to see you wearing your advocacy out in public. Your word carries some weight.

Beendare

WKR
Interesting commentary Larry...and my communication with friends will back what you are saying. The landscape is changing...add to that the incredible pressure of guys wanting to kill a moose and its crazy. Not so different from how elk hunting has changed drastically in the last 20 years here in the lower 48....though thats more hunter pressure and less politics.

Politics and hunting...its wonderful isn't it?

AKDoc

WKR
You're getting some great information sir...hang in there and don't give up!

Larry's points are absolutely accurate. I always appreciate his voice, and I enjoy listening to him provide objective data and reality based public comment at BOG/BLM advisory committee meetings. However, as I mentioned earlier, my greatest appreciation is for Larry's excellent products...and his support for fellow veterans. He is wrong on one thing though (said with humor), i.e., assuming that since you're 59, you have a conservative approach to life. I've got you by a couple years, and Larry knows the not so conservative places where my hunting partner and I have taken the wonderful PR-49HD's that we bought from him a few years back...and will be taking our new Korks in the fall.

Here's another factor for you to consider as you plan and research. Perhaps you've already done this, and my comment will simply serve to endorse and remind. Obtain (and maintain) a very clear sense (the core essence) of what this hunt means to you...what you seek, what you want to experience and savor in your memory after the hunt. We are all different in what we seek. Is it the adventure, is it the experience of hunting for moose, is it to take a monster, etc.? The pictures of the monster bulls that I have seen on this forum and elsewhere are amazing and super impressive...I truly mean that...and with respect and congratulations as well. If that's your goal, go for it...whatever your goal, go for it...but be mindful of your goal and plan your trip accordingly. I can say as a thirty year hunting Alaskan, who has had years of fortunate opportunities and adventures as well as taking home that wonderful moose meat countless times, that I've not yet taken a monster bull like some that I have seen posted...my biggest thus far is 57". I seek the adventure, the remote solitude, getting away from the world of people, being in the world of the animals that I am hunting, and bringing back moose meat. I have seen and passed on a couple true monsters because the circumstances of those specific situations were such that I just wasn't sure that I could get the meat out of the field without possible ill effects to it...I am SUPER conservative on that...my family and friends love the moose meat that I bring back because I am so careful (and admittedly obsessive) with it!

If you seek the adventure and experience of a remote Alaskan moose hunt, then the size of the bull is really not a factor...as long as it's legal! Take a look at the regulations about the harvest requirements because they do vary from unit to unit, e.g., for some units it's any bull, for others it's certain minimums for spread and/or brow tines. I do wish you the best, and I apologize for being long-winded this morning. I'll rest my comments now as you listen to the advice of others here.

Last edited:

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
You're getting some great information sir...hang in there and don't give up!

Larry's points are absolutely accurate. I always appreciate his voice, and I enjoy listening to him provide objective data and reality based public comment at BOG/BLM advisory committee meetings. However, as I mentioned earlier, my greatest appreciation is for Larry's excellent products...and his support for fellow veterans. He is wrong on one thing though (said with humor), i.e., assuming that since you're 59, you have a conservative approach to life. I've got you by a couple years, and Larry knows the not so conservative places where my hunting partner and I have taken the wonderful PR-49HD's that we bought from him a few years back...and will be taking our new Korks in the fall.

Here's another factor for you to consider as you plan and research. Perhaps you've already done this, and my comment will simply serve to endorse and remind. Obtain (and maintain) a very clear sense (the core essence) of what this hunt means to you...what you seek, what you want to experience and savor in your memory after the hunt. We are all different in what we seek. Is it the adventure, is it the experience of hunting for moose, is it to take a monster, etc.? The pictures of the monster bulls that I have seen on this forum and elsewhere are amazing and super impressive...I truly mean that...and with respect and congratulations as well. If that's your goal, go for it...whatever your goal, go for it...but be mindful of your goal and plan your trip accordingly. I can say as a thirty year hunting Alaskan, who has had years of fortunate opportunities and adventures as well as taking home that wonderful moose meat countless times, that I've not yet taken a monster bull like some that I have seen posted...my biggest thus far is 57". I seek the adventure, the remote solitude, getting away from the world of people, being in the world of the animals that I am hunting, and bringing back moose meat. I have seen and passed on a couple true monsters because the circumstances of those specific situations were such that I just wasn't sure that I could get the meat out of the field without possible ill effects to it...I am SUPER conservative on that...my family and friends love the moose meat that I bring back because I am so careful (and admittedly obsessive) with it!

If you seek the adventure and experience of a remote Alaskan moose hunt, then the size of the bull is really not a factor...as long as it's legal! Take a look at the regulations about the harvest requirements because they do vary from unit to unit, e.g., for some units it's any bull, for others it's certain minimums for spread and/or brow tines. I do wish you the best, and I apologize for being long-winded this morning. I'll rest my comments now as you listen to the advice of others here.
Damn good advice. Thanks

However...the Alaska landscape (politically and land-rights related) is changing faster than Strahan (or I) will be able to manage from afar. If you book with him in the next 3-5 years I think you're good to go on specifics he can offer. But beyond that Alaska's access to public lands will become more challenging for hunters, causing a congestion or concentration on once remote options. This year alone I lost 5 spots to re-discovery and pressure. I'm having to get creative to call myself a Hunt Planner by managing revenue streams that have longer gevity if you know what I mean...

I'm going to expand on Larry's comments slightly. I'm also in the remote access and logistics business although my clients aren't hunting related at all.

The tendency for most people is to always assume that pressure in perpetually increasing and that wilderness is getting more "tame" and crowded. In AK, that isn't currently the case. After many years of growth our population has been flat to slightly declining for a few years now as we suffered a economic recession. That population trend has followed through to hunting pressure. Moose harvest has flattened out and been running right around +/- 52,000 since about 2013. NR pressure is slowly growing, but makes up a pretty small part of the overall take.

However, the "flat" population isn't the whole picture. For a couple decades now, even during times of hot growth, the population of the state has also been shifting in geographic sense. People are centralizing into the road system and particularly the south central part of the state. Even those that stay in the bush are often moving out of the smaller communities and into the larger hub villages. School closure due to lack of students, and the subsequent slow death of that outlying community is a real thing.

I travel throughout the state, and it is now more common to see homesteads, placer mines, and logging roads going back to the wilderness than it is to see new ones being built. There are thousands of abandoned cabins, camps and hunting lodges out there. That means a lot of grown over airstrips. In some parts of the state I visit, things are MORE wild than they were 15 yrs ago. As an example, the Yukon-Koyukuk region has lost almost 40% of it's population since 1990.

Anyway... the summary of this long winded story, is that yes... access is always in a state of flux for both political and other reasons. Although hunting pressure may not be currently increasing on a statewide basis, both the more obvious political battles plus the centralization of people and subsequent changing support infrastructure is moving around where that pressure occurs. Wilderness doesn't do you any good if it's not legal to use or you can't find anybody to fly you out there.