Hunter and Maggie's live Bear hunt from WI

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife and son both drew WI bear tags and season opens today. We've been baiting hard, sweating a lot, and getting ready. Truck is loaded, one more hour of work and we're off. Hunter is 10 and shot his first "big" game this spring, an Eastern longbeard. Maggie has been hunting for a number of years and shot deer with bow and gun, turkeys, and waterfowl. Hopefully they get to lay the smack down on a WI black bear. We should be in the tree and blind ready to roll by 3 CST.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wife had a sow and 4 cubs in for 2 hours, then she passed a young boar that came in. Hunter and I didn't see anything but chipmunks and coon. I have zero service at that stand, so will update in evenings when returning home. That bait hasn't been hit in 3 nights now.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got the tapatalk thing going...we'll see how this works....

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headed out from work. Get home,shower and we're off again.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are in zone c, Chippewa County. Hunter and I got in last night to a bait that had been tore up, first time in 3 days. Big pile of scat lay nearby. We got the blind set-up and it was on. We knew that he would be back in it was just a matter of time!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to figure out this tapatalk and pictures, etc. Is there a way to do it so the pics come in full size?

Just to give you guys a size reference, Les Wears a Size 11 Lowa Tibet boot.... So that is a huge pile of shit, near his bait! From the sounds of it, there's some big old bears roaming the woods of Wisconsin!!!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
This particular bait is in a unique place. Thick tag alders (ground blind is only option) and lakes surround it on 3 sides. The unfortunate part is its fairly remote, and the atv'ers know that, so they get back in their and cause a lot of trouble. Parties, bonfires, ripping donuts constantly, and just causing a ruckus. Its making the bears very unpatternable. As the night wore on the shadows got longer and things got quieter, to still actually. We even shut down the Thermacell because it seemed so loud!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
4 coons, within seconds of their arrival of the same time as last night. At 7:38 one picks his head up and looks off the bait, then a second. Then in military like fashion they drop to all fours and file out of the bait at a quick pace. I tell Hunter to get ready, he's coming......well we had 19 minutes until hunting hours were up, nothing ever came in or made their presence be known to us. We pulled down the blind quietly as we could and headed out.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
88° forecasted for today's sit. Probably be right at dark if it happens tonight, fingers crossed here we go!