Hunter shot by dog, loses leg.

Man'''s Leg Amputated After Dog Shoots Him in Hunting Accident | PEOPLE.com

Before the jokes start rolling in, this exact thing happened to a buddy of mine. Gun standing up in the truck, dog in the bed knocked it over and stepped right on the trigger guard. He took a shotgun blast point blank in his thigh. Nearly bled out. They made a tourniquet from a belt and got him to an regency room with good trauma care. He kept the leg but it was a long road to recovery. Stay safe my friends.

Cml5895

FNG
It is a terrible accident for the guy in the story and your buddy, but definitely a preventable one. We as hunters need to think, think, think.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
My dad was unloading a shotgun after a dove hunt when I was young and it went off inadvertently, luckily not at anyone. I know I am more careless at times than i should be, especially rummaging around when duck hunting. I hate to hear stories like yours and the one in the article, but it is a good reminder to always think safety first and unload a gun before getting into these situations. A small chance at a passing bird isn't worth these scenarios playing out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The government does everything they can to try to protect people from themselves, but in the end, when natural selection comes calling......it eventually will win out.

robie

WKR
I was goose hunting out of layout blinds with our guns laying by our side and the barrels resting in a Y shaped rest in the ground.

Dog ran by me to retrieve a goose and stepped on my shotgun and it went off. We all looked around dumbfounded as to what just happened and who shot.

I looked down to see a paw print was perfectly on the safety and trigger guard. My gun was on safe and resting by my side pointed down range. I'm not sure what I could have done to prevent it. Freak accident luckily no one was down range. Shook me up for sure.

HookUp

WKR
I was walking into a brushy pond for a duck hunt when a stiick got caught in my trigger guard firing my gun. I was scared shartless and will not longer walk with a loaded gun outside of my immediate control (in hand). There has been several cases of dogs stepping on guns in my home state making them go off. Duck hunting is a high risk hunt.

EastMT

WKR
I used to hunt with a guy in Montana, then he told me he left his safety off while hiking for quick shots. Used to.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

WKR
Guess that's why there should NEVER be a firearm with one in the chamber in or on a vehicle of any kind.
Stupid is as stupid does.