Hunting Accident in South Dakota

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
A 30 year old hunter was killed during rifle opener in South Dakota this weekend. The investigation is ongoing, but reports claim he was with several others including juveniles. According to initial reports he was shot while walking through a field.

It's a good reminder for us all to practice firearm safety no matter what your experience level is, and to ensure everyone in your hunting party knows their firearm safety rules.

1. TREAT EVERY WEAPON AS IF IT WERE LOADED
2. NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT
3. KEEP FINGER STRAIGHT AND OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE
4. KEEP WEAPON ON SAFE UNTIL YOU INTEND TO FIRE

I can't tell you how many times we had to recite these rules during my time in the military. Thousands of times if I had to put a number to it, and we shot frequently in the Marine Corps Infantry. The point is...safety can never be implied and experience does not equal safe.

Complacency can kill. Be safe out there.

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
We have a rule in our group. If you're hunting with others there is no round in the chamber.
Safeties get flipped off, straps, fumbling or whatever can pull that trigger. No bull or buck is worth killing someone.
Our whole family hunts antelope together and I never chamber a round unless I'm ready to shoot. It's never hindered my ability to kill anything.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I was involved in a fatal hunting accident many years ago. Very painful...very sad. Too many people do not keep firearm safety first and foremost. So many times simple things like muzzle direction and control, safe handling etc. get lost or forgotten during the hunt.

We have a rule in our group. If you're hunting with others there is no round in the chamber.
Safeties get flipped off, straps, fumbling or whatever can pull that trigger. No bull or buck is worth killing someone.
Our whole family hunts antelope together and I never chamber a round unless I'm ready to shoot. It's never hindered my ability to kill anything.
Same. No need to endanger others while doing what you love.

I’m in my 20th year of hunting and prior to this weekend had never been around a negligent discharge. We had 2 NDs in the same day last weekend. One by a newbie and one by an old timer. The one by the old timer was a moment of stupidity. The one by the newbie was more worrisome because there were several points leading up to that moment where two other experienced hunters definitely should have done a safety check with the newbie. Thankfully the muzzles were pointed in safe-ish directions.

I’m adding my post here to add a little more weight to this thread and say:
- don’t get complacent
- make safety checks part of your hunting party’s culture

gabenzeke

WKR
25 year old guy was shot in the face here in Iowa over the weekend while he was with his group hunting ducks. Happens way too often. In addition to always being safe, people shouldn't be afraid of being the guy in the group that will berate someone for putting others in danger. Demand safety from your buddies. If one of them doesn't like it, you're better off without him or her in your group.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
TandKHunting

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
25 year old guy was shot in the face here in Iowa over the weekend while he was with his group hunting ducks. Happens way too often. In addition to always being safe, people shouldn't be afraid of being the guy in the group that will berate someone for putting others in danger. Demand safety from your buddies. If one of them doesn't like it, you're better off without him or her in your group.

My father and I were hunting pheasants with a fairly large group a couple weekends ago. Had no idea who these guys were beforehand. One of the blockers shot a rooster that was barely above the corn..toward a few guys that were walking the corn rows. I tell ya, some people (far too many) see a pheasant, duck, deer, or elk and all common sense seems to disappear. I don't even want to take my bow out during the rut (even when I am head to toe in orange) because I don't trust a lot of the rifle hunters around me to be safe.

gabenzeke

WKR
My father and I were hunting pheasants with a fairly large group a couple weekends ago. Had no idea who these guys were beforehand. One of the blockers shot a rooster that was barely above the corn..toward a few guys that were walking the corn rows. I tell ya, some people (far too many) see a pheasant, duck, deer, or elk and all common sense seems to disappear. I don't even want to take my bow out during the rut (even when I am head to toe in orange) because I don't trust a lot of the rifle hunters around me to be safe.
One of quite a few reasons to keep my circle of hunting buddies small.

Marble

WKR
My brother (44 years old) and not an experienced hunter, had one last year during elk season. He was standing behind me, pointing his gun over horse's back, unloading his rifle.

He broke the rule of keeping your finger off of the trigger and did not ensure his chamber was empty. I haven't hunted with him since and doubt I ever will. Sad.

I will add that he has been hunting off and on his entire life. Even so, seems like he is not as savvy with everything hunting related as he should be.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
What bother me most is how people throw guns over shoulders. Well I'm 6'6 so your barrel tends to point right in my face. When younger I used to just duck around and smile. Other guy might say, "oh sorry." Now I just grab barrel and jam it straight up without word, without smile etc. Tends to send a message.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Sad deal and a stark reminder that we put a lot of trust in our hunting partners. I dont tolerate poor firearm handling when hunting with other people. If I see it, I call it out, and we quit hunting. If they do something once that is unsafe on a hunt that person is probably going to do something unsafe again.

Reactions: OMF

KurtR

WKR
Guiding pheasant hunters we took the gun safety real serious. We made guys carry broom sticks, empty guns and even pretend they had a gun till they got the point. A couple mile long walks through crp practicing they got the point. The suitcase carry was one of the worst and they did not realize they were sweeping the whole group. Now with my dog i dont feel like running him with big groups and very selective who even shoots ducks with me. When i am out in the blind picking up birds all guns are pointed in the air. My Dad took gun saftey very serious and I did the same with my son. There are no re do's when that trigger is pulled

Good reminder that life can change in an instant. Gotta always keep your head on a swivel. Laziness, apathy, and ignorance kills.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Us too

TaperPin

WKR
A guy I know shot himself in the gut this past year with a holstered pistol. He lived, but ouch!

I used to be ok with cased rifles or holstered pistols that may point my way briefly, but no longer.