Moose hit hard by snow n bears

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Around our cabin in SC ak near the base of Denali. The deep snow the last couple of years seems to have hit the moose hard this year. Along with the bears n wolves. The wolves cross a moose track in the deep snow n just follow it until the moose is exhausted. Bears can smell the calves being born and come get the calves. I've had biologists tell me that they will take them right out of the cow.
Record rains this last fall have the usually small 2' creek running 8' deep and fast. Salmon were in the marshy areas. It would have been pretty hard for a bear trying to get a salmon from the creek.
It seems to add up to being really hard on the moose. 2 fellows, Jordan n his friend had found 2 bear kills on moose that were fairly recent. And the 5-7' grass around the creek was trampled down. Pretty easy for a bear to ambush a moose in the willows or grasses.
For the first time I have had bears seem so interested in the cabin. Scratching the support posts and using the cabin to scratch on. They stole a pound of moose burger from me on the first night. I set it in the moss to stay cool. And found fresh prints on the window where it was on the front deck looking in. They bit a hole in the door nob reaching over bear boards.
And it's not just the moose being gone. No swans on the pond or in the area. Or geese. Sandhill cranes n spruce hens. Not nearly the birds we usually have. I suspect that the wolves have taken them. But black bear are pretty tricky and smart.
The game board has declared this as a special management area and residents can harvest browns without permit every year. 3 black bears.
To me. It seems like that is just a couple years of hard circumstances for the moose. And way to many bears n wolves. 5-7' of snow for months.
. Hey I guess it's what it is n I'll deal with it. I can still get out n go hunting. And that's always a win. And for me having the opportunity to hang out for 10 days with Jordan Jonnas was a blast. He got a chance on a mid fiddy bull but something happened. He sent me a picture of how his gun shot when he got home. The scope had been knocked off. A lot. Probably most of us know that feeling. But hey he got to come on up to ak and have a chance to harvest a trophy moose. Saw a lot of beautiful country unlike anything he has ever been in. And I suspect he just may want to come on back and continue to learn the country and the sign. And close the deal. For me that would be great, he is a hard worker and hunts hard. And my beautiful wife will be happy because I have someone to go hunting with.
A couple pictures. The one with the forest. Wanted to point out that the small hills are circled by black spruce, willow n alder. Wet marshy areas between the more open tioga. A transition area. The moose will bed in the tall 4' plus under growth and can look up if they hear a sound. And get out of some bugs or wallow in the wet transition areas. A good place to still hunt during the day. And a picture of chaga bread dough next to an antler that was found. I made fresh bread there. We grab a chunk off the tree near the cabin and keep a pot of chaga tea on the woodstove. Jordan found 6-7 different varieties of mushrooms that I dried on the woodstove. He and his buddy found a couple pounds of chaga to bring home. Some ol guy next to Jordan.
Hey folks. If you're getting out into SC ak you are going to be wet. It would be easy to get into some bad stuff easy. Be prepared. And please buy all the bear n wolf harvest tickets you can get. Stay safe happy n positive

Attachments

• 20230905_155945.jpg
    20230905_155945.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 20230905_143915.jpg
    20230905_143915.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 20230905_094441.jpg
    20230905_094441.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20230905_092754.jpg
    20230905_092754.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 218

AKBorn

WKR
Really glad you were able to get back out to your cabin and hunt moose this fall! Peaceful times whether you bag an animal or not.

I hear you on the weather...we hunted caribou out of Tok, spent 7 days in the bush and it rained or snowed every day except the day we flew back to Tok. This year was the poorest weather of any remote AK hunt I have ever done, we only saw the sun for a few hours in a week's time.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted a road accessible area that I think must be in your general area on Sept 9 and 10. I saw no moose, no fresh sign, and three black bears but we forgot to get black bear tags. I killed a moose there last year but am having a very hard time getting excited to go back for this upcoming last weekend. I also suspect the combination of deep snow and predators have had a big impact on moose in that general area.

Do you trap wolves? do you go out of your way to hunt bears? Five years ago we made it a point after seeing copious amounts of bears and wolves and a dwindling moose population we decided to declare war on predators. We would drop the middle of a moose stalk to chase bears or wolves we spotted on the way and have managed to take down 5 bears and 1 wolf in that time. That's just our camp, other hunters in the area agreed to join the effort and other bears kills and a trapping session the last few winters has reduced the population even more. This year, we only saw 2 bears and only one set of wolf tracks - and shot three bulls for our camp and left even more out there to spread the genes. We are going back in Sunday to see if any more predators are on the gut piles.

AKBorn

WKR
Do you trap wolves? do you go out of your way to hunt bears? Five years ago we made it a point after seeing copious amounts of bears and wolves and a dwindling moose population we decided to declare war on predators. We would drop the middle of a moose stalk to chase bears or wolves we spotted on the way and have managed to take down 5 bears and 1 wolf in that time. That's just our camp, other hunters in the area agreed to join the effort and other bears kills and a trapping session the last few winters has reduced the population even more. This year, we only saw 2 bears and only one set of wolf tracks - and shot three bulls for our camp and left even more out there to spread the genes. We are going back in Sunday to see if any more predators are on the gut piles.
Good job, would be great if a lot of people did this. I really wanted to do my part on the bear end of things, but as a non-resident those grizzlies were safe from me under the law...

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hearing low harvest reports from most hunters I know, as in seeing few or no moose around the interior. I concur that the deep snow coupled with the freezing rainstorm we had in Dec of 21' put a hurt on the moose and then the wolves picked them off.

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
No I don't trap wolves yet. But I've been researching how to deal with the hide after I trap them. And been scoping out tracks and where I believe a den may be. I believe the bears have been the worst issue. They can ambush a moose in the tall grass n undergrowth. Steal calves out of the cows. And there is not enough hunting pressure to remove anything measurable. Just need to have a couple years of decent winters for them. But with the record rains this summer it is looking pretty snowy. It's not uncommon for local folks to shoot every bear they see. Good bear dead bear thing. And just leave em lay.
I know that the roads had plenty of moose on them. And we had them in the yard all winter. Even had a calf bust open a hay shed n take up house. Eventually dying of starvation.
If folks want to hunt wolves the big swamps along the Susitna or Yetna rivers drainage.
I'll do my best to get out n try calling in a wolf. Haven't tried that yet. Had them come in to cow moose in heat calls a couple times. But suspect a rabbit distress call would work better. Any suggestions would be appreciated

WMR

FNG
How about you guys eliminate the guide requirement for NR grizzly hunting In some of these areas? I’ve got an interior AK moose hunt booked for 2024. I’d love to have something to shoot at. 🫤

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
How about you guys eliminate the guide requirement for NR grizzly hunting In some of these areas? I’ve got an interior AK moose hunt booked for 2024. I’d love to have something to shoot at. 🫤

I would support eliminating the guide requirements. If you are in moose country your in bear country. And first off it's not the governments job to protect anyone. A lot of folks would love the opportunity to harvest a brown bear but will never have that opportunity. But can't afford it. The guide industry has lobbiests in every legislature and 250 bucks out of everyone that hires a guide goes to paying for it.
I'm not against guides but the government should not require it. And your correct that hunters could reduce the bear population if they have the opportunities instead of paying biologists to shoot them from helicopters.

WMR

FNG
I’ll never book a guided hunt for brown/grizz bears. It’s just not that high on my priority list. I could have taken several while moose hunting. I’d be glad to pitch in if it were legal.