Hunting Colorado Elk 2nd Season From Ohio

rlg5

FNG
Thats a beautify photo. when you say 1st season you mean archery? we are packing everything on our backs, anything you wish you had brought but didnt?
There is definitely no scenery like that here in Ohio. I was meaning 1st rifle which was the week before. It was an eye opener for me, to see a foot of snow in October. My original plan was to pack in and hunt from there but a foot of snow and 10 degree nights with no heat and being solo I switched to plan b, a lower elevation base camp from the road.

There is definitely no scenery like that here in Ohio. I was meaning 1st rifle which was the week before. It was an eye opener for me, to see a foot of snow in October. My original plan was to pack in and hunt from there but a foot of snow and 10 degree nights with no heat and being solo I switched to plan b, a lower elevation base camp from the road.
Did your plan work out for you? I mean we will have a hot tent so I'm hoping if that is the case we will still be able to get back in. Did you end up getting an elk or even seeing any?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
From NW PA and hunted Colorado last year in the second rifle. I killed a nice 5x5, but be warned lots and lots and lots of PPL. Will never go back, good luck to ya.

From NW PA and hunted Colorado last year in the second rifle. I killed a nice 5x5, but be warned lots and lots and lots of PPL. Will never go back, good luck to ya.
May I ask what unit were you hunting?

rlg5

FNG
Did your plan work out for you? I mean we will have a hot tent so I'm hoping if that is the case we will still be able to get back in. Did you end up getting an elk or even seeing any?

If you have heat and you and your gear are capable of surviving the cold and snow you should be fine packing in.

I was fortunate to meet a gentleman from Iowa who hunts there every year and he was kind enough to share some information. He showed me an area I had not really considered, in which he had been successful but would not hunt anymore because the blow down was too much. I went in there first morning, found fresh elk sign and got to where I could hear them moving. Unfortunately, in an attempt to get ahead of the elk in the maze of down trees, I pulled a tendon in my knee. (When you read about how nasty the blowdown in that area can be, it is not a joke). Spent the next 6 hours painfully trying to get back to the road and had to pull the plug on the trip.

My plan was to go elk hunting so I will claim success for that lol.

prm

WKR
Picture from northern Colorado. 10,000 ft on October 19, 2018. Some guys hunting 1st season said it dropped below zero at 8000 ft when the storm came through. Just something to consider.

Ah, yes. I was there for that. Snow varied from knee deep in upper basins to 4-5 inches lower in the timber. During 1st rifle it got down to about zero where I was last year too. 15-20 for lows seems typical during 1st. The last two have been well below that. You have to plan for every possible weather condition from the first of Oct onwards.

Ah, yes. I was there for that. Snow varied from knee deep in upper basins to 4-5 inches lower in the timber. During 1st rifle it got down to about zero where I was last year too. 15-20 for lows seems typical during 1st. The last two have been well below that. You have to plan for every possible weather condition from the first of Oct onwards.
That's really good to know!