Hunting Elk & Deer - Same Season?

cnelk

WKR
Curious if anyone hunts elk and deer during the same season?

I like to separate my seasons but do see where some may like to do this?

RMM

WKR
I hunted elk and deer during the general season in Montana a few years ago. Really we were elk hunting but would not have passed up an opportunity at a nice buck

fishslap

WKR
I like to separate them but I picked up a bull tag for my deer hunt last year and killed a bull opening morning. A 3x3 muley kept investigating me when I was trying to close the distance on the elk. 4th rifle.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm an elk hunter, but if I can get an archery buck tag as well for the same unit, I will. I'll be elk hunting, but if I find a giant buck I'll give him a go. I do the same thing for fall turkeys. A few years ago while elk hunting a bomber buck came through the timber while I was working a bull. I heard him coming and thought it was the bull. He stopped at 25 yards. I let down when I saw him.......no deer tag.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Right now with kids and work, my time is my most precious commodity. I love being able to consolidate both hunts into the same week. Obviously in the future as times change, may be different. My hunting style doesn't change, just keeps my options open.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
A better question would be who has gotten lucky and filled both tags...I've tried a few times but but got it done, and not really close.

Coues123

FNG
Twice I've filled my deer tag with a nice buck walking between me and a bull I called in and killed also. Both bulls were about a 100 yards off in some thick trees when it took the shot. A couple cow calls and the bulls kept coming.
Next day I brought 3 mules in stead of two. About 30 years between them.

I have never held both tags for a rifle hunt but have for archery a few times. Plus, a bear tag. Never have I filled all three (bear), but I was fortunate to take both my deer and elk this past archery season.

My elk was killed while I was on a deer specific hunt. On several occasions in the past I have had close encounters with solid bucks while only having an elk tag. Likewise, I've had bull elk at close range during a deer hunt. Playing the odds, I'm all for having maximum opportunities.

I often see guys say that you find this animal or that in different areas. Where I frequent, I often see multiple species in a day or week's hunt.

No way, walking out the door in CO mid October feeling the second fall, leaves turning, not having a tag would feel like being in the waiting room getting your nuts cut. The good thing is, I don't have experience in either scenario.

I love to hunt both. But not at the same time. My favorite deer hunts are draw and not where i hunt elk. If i dont draw an elk tag then im hinting otc or even a LO tag no where near my favorite deer unit.

Fmarji

FNG
I think in states like MT where the combo tag is cheap for both compared to some states buying both as a non-resident, might as well have it and not need it than not have a tag and need it.

That being said, I ended up hunting CO for both two years ago and wasted time trying to find both. It’s better to focus on one species, in one elevation band, feed area, etc.. then if you stumble across your second choice animal, it’s a bonus. I vote give 150% to the main animal you are chasing and if you happen to tag out early or stumble across something you can’t pass on.. you are ready.

Elk/deer big game combo cost me $1,300 as a MT NR last fall. In the Bob, the muleys and elk frequented the same areas during early rifle season (9/15-9/22). However, bulls were the priority. We often saw does while calling for bulls, but it was bull/buck only in the unit so we had to pass. We did go after one trophy buck a guy spotted in the dark timber on the way to our glassing spot, but he disappeared.

As a NR, to maximize my opportunity of taking an animal home, I would always recommend buying tags for animals in season and in the same areas. I had a bear tag with me as well, but we never got a shot at one.

nobody

WKR
Personally, I'm a fan of picking up multiple tags when possible. However, I think it's important to choose one species to concentrate on. If you try to hunt both simultaneously, a lot of time you end up hunting less than ideal places for each. Not always, but there is that chance. So when I do, I always pick up the second tag as an opportunity, but concentrate on my primary tag. That's just me though...