Hunting elk in "steep" country

jaegle2

FNG
Looking for some opinions but some background first.

I've been hunting elk for 5 years now. I've filled tags with the rifle but the last couple years have been focused on archery. I'd say out of all the hunting in the last 2 years that I've had close encounters 1/3 to 1/2 of the days in the field. By that I mean, a bull at 80 yds, a bull at 60 yds, etc. I've never had a shot but have been very close and most of the time get winded and the game is over. Last year I had bulls at 60 yds or less 5 out of 12 days but never a shot. Each of those 5 times the wind swirled and the game was over before a shot presented itself. These are all spot and stalk instances. Calling just hasn't seemed to work for me for some reason. Not yet anyways. Either the elk couldn't care less that I'm calling or it tends to push them away. And most of the time I'm talking early to mid September so maybe calling isn't the best approach just yet. Bottom line...I feel like I'm good at finding them and I'm getting chances but it just hasn't been my time yet.

So last year we run into a local guy in the area we've been archery hunting the last 2 years. This area is steeper than most I'd say. It's known to be steep. I'm not afraid of steep. Anyways, as we're talking to this guy he says all the odds are stacked against us because we are learning to archery hunt elk in the steepest of steep terrain. His argument is that maybe we should be getting some kills under our belt in less steep terrain. His suggestion was to move to another state to improve our odds. His theory is in less steep terrain the winds will be a little less erradic and improve our odds when an opportunity is there. I kind of call BS on this myself but thought I'd reach out and see what the rokslide experts have to say.

My reason for bringing this up now is because I'm toying with the idea of trying a new area in a new state this year. Do I stick with my current area that I am learning well and finding elk almost daily in multiple locations but where it's steep and the swirling winds seems to keep going against me? Or do I switch areas and look for something with a little more rolling terrain? I'm leaning towards sticking with the spot I have experience with. My thought is I'm blowing my opportunities probably more because I'm jumping in too close at the wrong time and I just haven't figured it out yet. Not to mention others are filling tags in these areas so that kind of blows the theory right there, right?

Any thoughts? Is this advice a line of BS or is there some sort of truth to it?

Haha well that's an interesting theory.
I'd suggest joining University of Elk hunting on elk 101, lots of discount codes out there.

And combing thru the calling setup modules over and over.
Sounds like you need to stay back a little and keep track of the elk until the thermals are stronger.

OP
J

jaegle2

FNG
I've been debating signing up for elk101. I have subscribed to Chris Roe's website for the past 2 years. I study his stuff and Elknut's off and on all year long. Not to say I know what I am doing. But I'm unsure what elk101 will add beyond what I am already looking into. I know its going to take some time and there is no substitute for experience in the field so maybe thats all it is at this point?

Interested to see what folks say. I would guess more broken and inconsistent or flat terrain would contribute to swirling winds more than being steep. A big, steep, consistent face is where I would think thermals would be most consistent.

I think this.

Sometimes the wind just sucks for days and you can't do anything. I've left areas because I knew with the wind it would never work out.

elkguide

WKR
If you are seeing elk daily, why would you try someplace that you don't know there are elk there? It is important to have a second or third area as an option to not overhunt an area so for that reason I hunt a different area every year. I do focus on my old standard areas but have back up areas just in case.
Paul's (elknut) info is great. Learning elk routines and their actions in an area is a big part of getting an elk. I love to eat elk meat so thusly I do like to take an elk. But I must say that having an elk up close and personal is such a rush and that is one of the biggest reasons that I hunt elk. As to calling, as you will learn from elknut. it's not necessarily what you say as it is when you say it.

Keep at it. Elk hunting and being among them is the best!

OP
J

jaegle2

FNG
Good feedback. Thanks.

I have backed out from time to time. Last year i backed out a couple of different times only to come back the next day and find someone else in there to screw it up for the next several days because they didnt play the wind AT ALL. Thats the game with public land I suppose so I moved on. Having said that I do probably have more to learn there for sure as far as the wind goes. There have been times where I was too agressive too and went in with guns blazing. Hearing this local guy give me his thoughts makes me start to question where to focus my

And the calling is something I need to work on too.

Another thought...this zone is pretty steep in its entirety aside from the valleys where the elk just arent going to be in September except for at night. There is really no avoiding the steepness except for a few smaller areas. These areas are usually packed with other hunters too though so I tend to stay away.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You know what they say.........insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Sounds like you've had your fill of "the same thing". Change it up......either there or somewhere else.

Sounds like you are getting close and having solid opportunities. Fine tune your calling and pay closer attention to the thermals. I wouldn't let what some guy says send me to another area, especially if I was into animals already. I also don't trust any tips or advice I get from anyone I run into that's hunting the same area I am. . .

Elknut's "calling scenarios" are wonderful.
But I can't remember him covering "setup" aka where to physically position yourself to get an elk in a shooting lane.
You may be the best caller but if you setup wrong your going to fail.
That or more patience.

ElkNut1

WKR
BRTreedogs, In the App Setups are replied to repeatedly, probably dozens of times. If you look at the video clips of the Advertising/Breeding Sequence & the clip of the Cold Calling Sequence on the App you'll see I go into how to setup & what the terrain looks like as I setup & go through the calling scenario, it would be very helpful to watch those clips. I do agree more shot opportunities are lost through bad setups than bad calling!

As a sidenote, we will have an upcoming update on the App dedicated entirely to Setups, thanks bud!

ElkNut/Paul

Lowndes

FNG
Looking for some opinions but some background first.

I've been hunting elk for 5 years now. I've filled tags with the rifle but the last couple years have been focused on archery. I'd say out of all the hunting in the last 2 years that I've had close encounters 1/3 to 1/2 of the days in the field. By that I mean, a bull at 80 yds, a bull at 60 yds, etc. I've never had a shot but have been very close and most of the time get winded and the game is over. Last year I had bulls at 60 yds or less 5 out of 12 days but never a shot. Each of those 5 times the wind swirled and the game was over before a shot presented itself. These are all spot and stalk instances. Calling just hasn't seemed to work for me for some reason. Not yet anyways. Either the elk couldn't care less that I'm calling or it tends to push them away. And most of the time I'm talking early to mid September so maybe calling isn't the best approach just yet. Bottom line...I feel like I'm good at finding them and I'm getting chances but it just hasn't been my time yet.

So last year we run into a local guy in the area we've been archery hunting the last 2 years. This area is steeper than most I'd say. It's known to be steep. I'm not afraid of steep. Anyways, as we're talking to this guy he says all the odds are stacked against us because we are learning to archery hunt elk in the steepest of steep terrain. His argument is that maybe we should be getting some kills under our belt in less steep terrain. His suggestion was to move to another state to improve our odds. His theory is in less steep terrain the winds will be a little less erradic and improve our odds when an opportunity is there. I kind of call BS on this myself but thought I'd reach out and see what the rokslide experts have to say.

My reason for bringing this up now is because I'm toying with the idea of trying a new area in a new state this year. Do I stick with my current area that I am learning well and finding elk almost daily in multiple locations but where it's steep and the swirling winds seems to keep going against me? Or do I switch areas and look for something with a little more rolling terrain? I'm leaning towards sticking with the spot I have experience with. My thought is I'm blowing my opportunities probably more because I'm jumping in too close at the wrong time and I just haven't figured it out yet. Not to mention others are filling tags in these areas so that kind of blows the theory right there, right?

Any thoughts? Is this advice a line of BS or is there some sort of truth to it?

Sounds like a guy trying to get you to move out of his terrain to me.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t leave elk to find elk. Just have to be patient and wait for the wind to settle and an opportunity to develop. If you are having encounters 1/3 of the time that’s pretty good.

OP
J

jaegle2

FNG
Thanks guys. I have been wondering if the feedback from the local is exactly what you say...to get us out of his area. Felt like I needed to do some double checking given my relative lack of experience.

BRTreedogs, In the App Setups are replied to repeatedly, probably dozens of times. If you look at the video clips of the Advertising/Breeding Sequence & the clip of the Cold Calling Sequence on the App you'll see I go into how to setup & what the terrain looks like as I setup & go through the calling scenario, it would be very helpful to watch those clips. I do agree more shot opportunities are lost through bad setups than bad calling!

As a sidenote, we will have an upcoming update on the App dedicated entirely to Setups, thanks bud!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks Paul, you are always very helpful.
I think adding splashing in a cold call reeled a bull rite in last yr.
I'll be studying the app again prior to season.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new at this but the "steep" is why you are seeing the elk. They get protection from the archery army by using those difficult areas.

Some times you have to be patient, sometimes you have to be aggressive. Whether its waterfowl, deer, small game, or other I don't know if there is ever a "perfect" set up, but when it's "near perfect" you got to be ready to pounce.