Hunting in grizzly territory

Loo.wii

WKR
I hunt and guide in grizzly country exclusively.
When hunting for myself I do so solo.

Personally I love the psychological side of it.

First and foremost understand you are the alpha predator. Contrary to popular opinion. Humans are not alpha predators because of our brawn. It's because of our brains!

Second. DO NOT EVER let a bear keep your animal. You run them off by whatever means necessary! For several reasons. The main one being. Grizzly bear is extremely smart. That bear has a bad encounter with human he will never forget. From that day forward that bear will stay clear. It has to be a painful negative experience. Unfortunately to many people let bears win, that's why there are so many problems these days.

This is backed up by how bears behave in different parts of grizzly country.

I suggest having a sawed off shotgun in camp and packing it to kill site. Pelt a bear with shotgun and he will immediately become a good bear.

Run hot wire around your camp. They will not penetrate it. So long as it's grounded properly and it's turned on.

If a bear comes in while you are processing a animal. Do not even bother reaching for bear spray. Fire arm. Which leads me to a overlooked point.

Firearm proficiency.
If a bear charges for real, you will get one good shot at best. The rest will be spray and pray stuff. So make sure you can draw point fire in 3 seconds or less and be spot on at 20 yards.

If you do shoot a bear, kill him. AND report it immediately. Highly recommend NOT trying to hide it.
Fish and game folks are pretty understanding. Do not lie to them.

That should be enough controversy for now.

If you wanna have a conversation or have questions shoot a pm.
and if you do win against the bear. pee on him to assert your dominance.

mtn_man

FNG
Definitely go with a knowledgable guide. Grizzlies are nothing to mess around with, and they always seem to appear when I've least expected them. The very second that I've been just a little complacent is when they've shown up to say hi.

And if you haven't encountered one before, nothing will truly prepare you for the experience. I've never been charged by one, but I was out hunting once with my cousin in-law and we crossed paths with a big one as we rounded a blind switchback. It stood up about 3/4 of the way and turned to look at us as we approached, and before I could even process what I was seeing it took off in a FULL run up hill through nasty brush and literally made its own f**ing trail. It could have easily turned the other way and killed either of us.

I'll go as far as to say that I hate grizzlies, but I respect the fact that they live there and I'm just a visitor to their habitat. I'd never hunt alone in their territory though.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Definitely go with a knowledgable guide. Grizzlies are nothing to mess around with, and they always seem to appear when I've least expected them. The very second that I've been just a little complacent is when they've shown up to say hi.

And if you haven't encountered one before, nothing will truly prepare you for the experience. I've never been charged by one, but I was out hunting once with my cousin in-law and we crossed paths with a big one as we rounded a blind switchback. It stood up about 3/4 of the way and turned to look at us as we approached, and before I could even process what I was seeing it took off in a FULL run up hill through nasty brush and literally made its own f**ing trail. It could have easily turned the other way and killed either of us.

I'll go as far as to say that I hate grizzlies, but I respect the fact that they live there and I'm just a visitor to their habitat. I'd never hunt alone in their territory though.
I actually messaged a couple guides today just to see what my options would be if we draw the unit we are considering. Maybe I'll meet a nice resident that wants to 3 Florida guys

Or read the book "Night of the Grizzlies"!!!

All great advice. I live in the heart of (right outside of Glacier) and pretty much only hunt in griz country. Take the basic precautions outlined above and the odds are in your favor. That being said, I still have trouble sleeping while backpacking... every little sound wakes me up and I'm listening to see if its a bear. If anyone has any recommendations on something to truly knock a guy out so they can get a good nights sleep I'm all ears. I've tried unisom with no luck.
I have never used them, but what about an electric fence around the tent?

RP50

FNG
2 bowhunters just killed a charging grizz in Island Park ID this week. Certainly of concern on all sides of YP.

I’ve hunted elk in both grizzly areas and non grizzly areas. It’s a completely different experience mentally. It’s certainly a rush knowing they are out there & your senses are really tuned in to more than looking for elk. Part of me really enjoyed it but another part of me was always on edge

Or read the book "Night of the Grizzlies"!!!

All great advice. I live in the heart of (right outside of Glacier) and pretty much only hunt in griz country. Take the basic precautions outlined above and the odds are in your favor. That being said, I still have trouble sleeping while backpacking... every little sound wakes me up and I'm listening to see if its a bear. If anyone has any recommendations on something to truly knock a guy out so they can get a good nights sleep I'm all ears. I've tried unisom with no luck.
Ear plugs.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
and if you do win against the bear. pee on him to assert your dominance.
In all seriousness, I've heard this from several people and one was a biologist hired by Wyoming G&F to do some of the early grizzly studies carried out in the 70's and 80's around Yellowstone (and they did some pretty crazy stuff), if you get an elk killed bit don't have time to butcher and hang the quarters, the best thing to do is to gut it and drag it as far from the gut pile as you can, then pee all over the hide. Grizzlies are very much averted by human urine and it may keep them from claiming your kill during the night.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
A guy I know hunted Wyoming last year in archery season and killed a nice bull on a DIY hunt. They set a trail camera up near camp and got pictures of a giant grizzly. After seeing the pictures he decided he wouldn't leave camp until daylight and made sure he was back before dark and never had any encounters with the bear.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be hunting next week in Montana in an area that has grizzly, but not many as of yet. It's definitely on my mind walking back to camp in the dark by myself. But once in my tent I lay my pistol next to my pillow and usually sleep like a baby.

mtn_man

FNG
Don’t be this guy….

Exactly right. The lessons from that tragedy are along the lines of:

- Watch your partner's 6 at all times
- Communicate with your partner when you're about to put your guard down in bear country
- Keep your bear pistol ready to party at all times
- Know how to operate your firearn and your partners
- Have better situational awareness in thick timber (be on high alert at all times)
- Keep your bear spray on your person at all times - not in your pack like an idiot (it's a last resort for a charging / attacking bear)

10mm Glock with hard cast is ideal IMO and it's what I've carried. 45-70 is nice for a saddle in open country, but regardless it is important to make sure your ammo goes bang though right before your hunt. Had a box of Doubetap once that I thankfully realized were full of DUDS the day before we set out. Just make sure your ammo and pistol are fully operational. A backup pistol like a little scandium 340pd .357 could also be well worth the extra pound.

Most importantly: stay alert, stay alive.

OP
Andrewlonghi
NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Exactly right. The lessons from that tragedy are along the lines of:

- Watch your partner's 6 at all times
- Communicate with your partner when you're about to put your guard down in bear country
- Keep your bear pistol ready to party at all times
- Know how to operate your firearn and your partners
- Have better situational awareness in thick timber (be on high alert at all times)
- Keep your bear spray on your person at all times - not in your pack like an idiot (it's a last resort for a charging / attacking bear)

10mm Glock with hard cast is ideal IMO and it's what I've carried. 45-70 is nice for a saddle in open country, but regardless it is important to make sure your ammo goes bang though right before your hunt. Had a box of Doubetap once that I thankfully realized were full of DUDS the day before we set out. Just make sure your ammo and pistol are fully operational. A backup pistol like a little scandium 340pd .357 could also be well worth the extra pound.

Most importantly: stay alert, stay alive.
Can u carry a shotgun or 45-70 during archery season just for camp and or cleaning a elk?

Ralphie

WKR
In all seriousness, I've heard this from several people and one was a biologist hired by Wyoming G&F to do some of the early grizzly studies carried out in the 70's and 80's around Yellowstone (and they did some pretty crazy stuff), if you get an elk killed bit don't have time to butcher and hang the quarters, the best thing to do is to gut it and drag it as far from the gut pile as you can, then pee all over the hide. Grizzlies are very much averted by human urine and it may keep them from claiming your kill during the night.
🙄. Anyone who says you should drag a gutted elk carcass any meaningful distance has never killed an elk. And anyone who thinks human pee is any kind of deterrent to a grizzly bear must have different pee than every other human.
The kill site is already full of human scent and this “expert” thinks an incoming bear is going to smell pee then flee.

Yes you can show up in force and run a bear off. And I’ve seen them almost refuse to leave When confronted with multiple people on horseback. If you are on foot, by yourself, or have never been around grizzlies let him have it.

Not hunting right until dark, quartering an elk and moving the pieces away from the gut pile, hunting with trustworthy partners and keeping your head on a swivel are all good ideas. They are not foolproof.

If you go back to a kill site and there is no bear, remain vigilant. That likely was one of the mistakes made by the hunter and guide in the linked story.