Hunting Maui

SlimTim

FNG
Hi all,

Been thinking of a good overseas (I'm from Aus) hunting holiday for my 40th birthday mid to late next year.

I was thinking of doing an elk hunt somewhere in Montana or a Tahr hunt in NZ, but considering the current unfolding tragedy in Maui thought I might change to a hunt in Maui to help support the community in the future. Probably keep my wife very happy too.

Obviously it would be like 12 months (or more) before I get there. I don't plan on going now.

With that in mind, has anyone archery hunted Maui? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts or recommendations?

I've always enjoyed DIY hunts. I've never paid for a hunt. Don't have anything against it, the need has just never arisen. I'm kind of thinking I'd gladly pay an outfitter in Maui in the future though. Any recommendations?

I'm also partial to a bit of fishing/spear fishing. Again, would love to pay some local operators to get me out there.

I understand the outfitting/hunting/tourism/landscape will have changed but just trying to get the ideas running through my head.

Also, has anyone got any ideas how we could otherwise help fellow hunters from Maui. I've seen and donated online but was thinking how us fellow hunters could help each other out. Coming from Aus, I know first hand how large wild fires directly affect us and the landscapes we spend so much time in.

Cheers,
Tim.

I’ll say this as a guy that lives in HI but is not from HI. Axis deer hunting in Maui is a windfall for the local economy. There are so many deer they are dying of thirst and starvation. They know to stay off the limited huntable plots of public though. But the success rate for a guided day hunt is very high. Like 90+ percent high, for rifle anyway. So it’s a pretty premium price to pay for hunting an animal they absolutely have to reduce the population of, but you have a high likelihood of success in as little as 1 day dedicated to hunting, and the meat is DELICIOUS. So considering the tragedy in Maui right now I’d say booking a guided hunt a year out from now is a good thing to do, it absolutely does put a lot of money in the pockets of the locals, and you will likely go home with an animal.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
I’ll say this as a guy that lives in HI but is not from HI. Axis deer hunting in Maui is a windfall for the local economy. There are so many deer they are dying of thirst and starvation. They know to stay off the limited huntable plots of public though. But the success rate for a guided day hunt is very high. Like 90+ percent high, for rifle anyway. So it’s a pretty premium price to pay for hunting an animal they absolutely have to reduce the population of, but you have a high likelihood of success in as little as 1 day dedicated to hunting, and the meat is DELICIOUS. So considering the tragedy in Maui right now I’d say booking a guided hunt a year out from now is a good thing to do, it absolutely does put a lot of money in the pockets of the locals, and you will likely go home with an animal.
Sweeeet. That is awesome to know.

That may be exactly what I'm after. Maybe a few days hunting, Axis would be ideal, then a bit of RnR with the family.

Probably give it a few months then start looking at booking a outfitter if that is the case.

scodylee

FNG
I would look into hunting axis deer on Molokai as well. It's a little cheaper.