Hunting only, or general fun?

OP
displacedtexan
Question for the more fun less hunt folks:

Would you say you're in the more accomplished, kilt plenty o' critters, salty old warrior class?

I could see myself slowing down at some point, I'm just new enough to big game hunting that I feel I need to dedicate everything to it just to be successful. At some point maybe I can leverage my experience into some efficiency increases and have some spare time to smell the roses.
I'm 39.

I'm not a "more fun less hunt" person.

I'm a "take an extra day or budget differently"

I'll detour a few hours to drive through northern New Mexico instead of Kansas. Or on something like a quail hunt where time of day is less important I'll shuffle so I can cook or get a nice dinner.

Edit- I also don't have kids, so I'm sure that's a factor.

Last edited:

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I don't even like to stop for fuel on the way to a trip. Too wound up to get there and get started. On the way home I'll go a little out of the way for better scenery, or to see something interesting provided I still get home the same day as planned.

Plan to hunt SD in 2023 and am planning the time to see Mount Rushmore on the way home.

My ideal hunt would be to get something killed on day 3 or 4, and then have a day or two at camp just relaxing. While I have been fortunate enough to kill early a few times, there's always the pull from back home.

"Hey sweetie we killed a bull!"
"Ok, when will you be home?"

OP
displacedtexan
I don't even like to stop for fuel on the way to a trip. Too wound up to get there and get started. On the way home I'll go a little out of the way for better scenery, or to see something interesting provided I still get home the same day as planned.

Plan to hunt SD in 2023 and am planning the time to see Mount Rushmore on the way home.
The wife and I have been to DOZENS of National Parks and monuments. Saw Mount Rushmore last fall... It was very underwhelming and disappointing. Still glad we took the detour.

wackem36

FNG
Its more for the experience for me. nothing like sitting at hunting camp with good friends and family. if you don't have fun it seems like a chore.

Maki35

WKR
When I hunt locally, I'll go right into the woods and back home when I'm finished hunting.
But when I travel 4hrs away to hunt. I'll go into town for something to eat & drink and drive around a bit.

Rich M

WKR
I'm in a hurry to get there for the hunt, that is priority No. 1 if it is a hunting trip. Not in a hurry to get home. A 10-day hunt is a really nice vacation.

So, if I found a critter on day 10 that I thought I wanted on day 11 and cut in on the sight-seeing, I'd go after it and then get on with the sight seeing. Might just be a day late and do the sight seeing anyway.
  • Did an antelope hunt in NE WY - checked out Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore.
  • Was in CO - looked at some touristy canyons and petroglyphs, found some interesting historical markers, and one day seen more different kinds of raptors than i knew existed as they came thru before a heavy cold front.
  • Was in MD and made a side trip to VA and Chincoteague Island for a duck/brant hunt and some sight seeing. Best sunrises in the world here.
  • Was in NC somewhere and went to check this place out that the wife wanted to see and ended up playing on the ice on a stream (yeah, she comes along sometimes).
Lord willing, the next hunt - planning 3 days to antelope hunt, then 4 days to play. Gonna enjoy it as much as possible.

@Dos Perros - I'm just a life isn't all about hunting person. After 42 seasons, I have some memories about hunting but probably have more about something weird or diff (finding petrified wood and sheds in WY), getting stuck, trip to hospital cause I split my head open on the jeep roll bar, or just some time with the old man, taking him out on diff adventures that might never happen again.

It seems to be the diff stuff that sticks in my mind as opposed to just the hunt. I can probably remember 1/3 of the hunts I been on. Maybe 1/8 of the vacations where it was same old same old. Probably 95% of the special trips, things that didn't go as planned, or were diff. Love hunting but also love the other stuff too.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
The wife and I have been to DOZENS of National Parks and monuments. Saw Mount Rushmore last fall... It was very underwhelming and disappointing. Still glad we took the detour.

I was impressed by it. Was worth the trip IMO.

Same for Devil's Tower - big rock, but oddly impressive, maybe due to the alien movie, who knows.

Wags

WKR
We do our hunts as a family most times. My wife and kids all come. Sometimes they join my oldest son & I in the field, other times they don’t.

When we’re heading to our property we pretty much hammer there and home. The drive too & from doesn’t offer much tourism & we make the drive several times a year.

When we’re there we make the most of it. We’ve had several good years hunting so we’ve had time to go sight seeing & exploring. My father in law joined us last year and he got to watch my boy kill his first big game animal which was special. We go check out new areas & towns and get some fishing in if the weather allows.

Last year I drew a CO tag and got to make a second trip back solo. I filled my tag opening afternoon and was on the road home the next morning to save PTO.

My kids are at perfect ages so I really try to slow down and explore more when we have time. We really put effort into making them well rounded & give them experiences we didn’t have. So far, it’s working.

Rich M

WKR
We all have diff situations. Can see running home to wee ones and exploring w 12 year olds. Same for trying to save vacation time if its limited.

Not 1 size fits all answer for sure.

Ok, so obviously I hunt because I enjoy it. The outdoors, the solitude, the camp.

But when I travel more than an hour or so to hunt, it's about the trip as a whole... A detour to see something else cool, an extra day or two to explore somewhere. Maybe just a dinner in a different town someplace nice or cool.

Do you drive out, hunt, and hurry home, or do you make more out of the trip?
If I were to travel to hunt it’d be to experience the local environment as well as the hunting. Even when hunting in my home state it’s about more than just killing something.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
im pretty lucky that i do most of my big game hunting close to home but when we go up north to stone sheep hunt or moose hunt its a 22 hours so we hammer down and drive through the night, did stop in Houston b.c to see the biggest fly rod in the world though

Fatcamp

WKR
We are going back to our deer hunting area in Wyoming with our kids this summer. Have some exploring to do we didn't have time for previously and we would like them to see it.

During season we don't stray far from the truck around town. We have the rest of the year to aimlessly wander the tourist traps.

Netherman

WKR
Question for the more fun less hunt folks:

Would you say you're in the more accomplished, kilt plenty o' critters, salty old warrior class?

I could see myself slowing down at some point, I'm just new enough to big game hunting that I feel I need to dedicate everything to it just to be successful. At some point maybe I can leverage my experience into some efficiency increases and have some spare time to smell the roses.
I also have the go go go mentality, but can see myself transitioning into the more fun group as I get more vacation time / retirement. I'd also be shocked if I don't end up shooting a stick someday, these days I'm looking to maximize my effectiveness in the woods to keep the freezer full.