Hunting Pack

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a MR Pintler but am looking at doing a 3-5 day hunt and some backpacking so looking to upgrade to a larger pack. I have been looking at SG sky, Kifaru hoodlum, MR Marshall, and the K3 Exo. Just want to get some thoughts and opinoins going to go try on the SG sky but exo and kifaru aren't sold near me in AZ.

Thanks

Jimss

WKR
You can't go wrong with SG or Kifaru! I would choose a bag that is at least 6,000 cu in. You can always cinch a larger bag tighter but if you don't have enough room in a small bag you are screwed. The new materials used by SG and Kifaru are light weight so a larger bag is worth it's weight in gold! I really like the guide lid on my Kifaru. The nice thing about Kifaru is it comes in camo and you can customize it with a lot of accesories. The Kifaru padded belt gets raves reviews. I would pick the tallest frame available....better use of load lifters.

OP
DarkWater12
You can't go wrong with SG or Kifaru! I would choose a bag that is at least 6,000 cu in. You can always cinch a larger bag tighter but if you don't have enough room in a small bag you are screwed. The new materials used by SG and Kifaru are light weight so a larger bag is worth it's weight in gold! I really like the guide lid on my Kifaru. The nice thing about Kifaru is it comes in camo and you can customize it with a lot of accesories. The Kifaru padded belt gets raves reviews. I would pick the tallest frame available....better use of load lifters.
I know that Kifaru has three frames which one are you refering to look at?

pansch220

FNG
I ran a hoodlum for a season and loved it. I had it on a duplex lite frame and you can easily get 3-5 days out of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I dig my Exo. Many pack companies have liberal return policies so that you can try it before fully deciding.

All good brands. A lot comes down to personal preference once you get to that level.

if you have a pintler you could load up the gear shelf with a food/ gear bag and make it work. Or buy a bigger MR bag to fit your frame. The Marshal is a BIG pack. For most it is goin to be way too big for less than 4-5 days and that is packing heavy. I would look to a Metcalf in the MR line for that length of hunt, but it depends on how you pack.

one final thought, I after using my MR pack for hking for years, I broke down and bought a light hiking pack. I have a gossamir gear mariposa. 50-60 L for about 2#. It will carry a 30-40# light hiking load in fair comfort for about $250. It would never handle a load of meat and doesn’t have the durability for brush busting but it weigh less than a 1/3 of what my MR pack weighs unloaded and it is more than enough for its primary purpose.

Jimss

WKR
I have the an old duplex frame that is a little shorter. I've seen guys add extensions to the top to do a better job with load lifters. The adjustments on Kifaru frames are pretty good but I would get the longest frame available. Load lifters help a lot with hefty loads!

I use my large volume Kifaru bag as a daypack and hardly know it's on my back. Just cinch down the load. It's nice having all the room to pack out a full load the first trip. I can usually get an entire boned muley out in one trip and this saves having to return to pack him out.

PLucas

FNG
I really like my exo k3. I was between SG, Exo, and Kifaru. It seems you can't o wrong with any of those 3 brands.

kirmerw

FNG
I have a newer MR Marshall, with tags, that hasn’t seen any field use. PM me for some pics, I’d part for about 1/3 price of a new.

bozeman

WKR
Call Exo and Kifaru and let them know that you are in decision phase. They will work with you on potential return as long as it’s not damaged and in a short time frame.....both are top notch.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I know that Kifaru has three frames which one are you refering to look at?
If you plan to haul odd shaped loads (i.e: treestands, firewood, etc.) get the tactical. If you plan to just haul meat with it then get one of the lighter options. This is what Kifaru told me when I was trying to decide on a frame. The tactical frame is beefier so it feels more stiff across your back but it won't want to barrel around the load when you cinch the straps down.

srichter

FNG
I just bought a new Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. I am very new to back packs so this may not work.. but when I was to need more storage for going deep I thought about purchasing the beartooth 80 bag only storing my sawtooth in the 80 until I get to camp and then swap them back out while day hunting.