Hunting performance wear

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. So I am looking into purchasing some new hunting clothing. Perhaps I should start with a bit of a background of myself and where I hunt. That might help everyone give me the best advice. I am 5 foot 6 215lbs and I live in North Alabama so most of the hunting is sitting. Now I have went on a few elk hunts and plan on going again. I try not to let my current hunting conditions keep me from exploring the new areas of hunting performance wear. I am really interested in purchasing some of the “puffy” jackets as I call them. I have several for personal wear and really love them so I thought I would buy some for hunting. Cost is not an issue. The coats do not have to really be a camo pattern but I prefer to stay with more earth toned colors if not camo. I also want to be able to use here at home what I would use out west so I tend to stay away from patterns that look to have a lot of light colors. I have looked at sitka, first lite, kuiu, skre and some cabelas stuff. I really like the look of the cabelas octane pattern. Does anyone have experience with this pattern and product? One issue that I do not like is the fact that the brands I listed before are not sold around here in great quantities or even at all. So ordering something very expensive, you take a risk on things like not fitting etc and face being in this pattern of shipping back and forth with customer service. I already know that I would need to increase most of my shirts and jackets by one size from what I wear daily. The pants will have to be hemmed for I am not 6foot or better which seems what most maker of clothing like that targets. So let the advice/comments fly. What say all of you? Thanks

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I am guessing by that statement you are saying get ready to hem the pants because your gonna love them. haha

hoff1ck

WKR
No experience with the other brands, but I recently bought a FL Uncompahgre jacket for here in MI and trips out west, and I love it. Was also interested in the Kifaru Lost Parka, so that may be one to add to the list.

KHNC

WKR
Dont forget to add a Flat Bill to the list , if you are under 35. ;)

First Lite runs a little on the large side from what ive seen. So, i dont think i would go larger if you choose FL. Have not used the Cabelas brand, but it seems solid to me. I like the Browning Hells Canyon Speed line, but it is definitely an athletic fit. (slim and tall) Sitka seems to cater to all sizes, but i would go with the pattern that has a little more green if you plan to multi-use. The flat bill can be any color, as long as it says Mtn Ops somewhere on it. lol

Actually I'd encourage the Cabelas route as returns are easy. Better yet if you live near a store and can try things on. Really good sales and discounts if your a member.

Their Octane pattern is fine IMHO. I like their older outfitter pattern better but to each his own. I agree solids are fine.

The Cabelas stuff is not quite as good as Sitka or First Lite, some items come close. But it's good enough for most your needs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OFFHNTN

WKR
No experience with the other brands, but I recently bought a FL Uncompahgre jacket for here in MI and trips out west, and I love it. Was also interested in the Kifaru Lost Parka, so that may be one to add to the list.

This is exactly the same jacket I was going to recommend. I love mine.

I called Skre, the owner answer the phone I loved that. They make sure it fits you can keep sending it back till your happy. I sent my pants back they sent me a different size all free. If your not in a hurry skre had a black Friday sale I think it was 25% off last year. The bad part is I haven't tried them in the woods yet dont start hunting for a week.

rcairney

FNG
I just got a FL unpronounceable jacket and that thing is nice. Light and feels damn good. Not sure how it will hold up... seems a little thin to me but then again, I am no expert. I guess we shall see in less than 2 weeks.