Hunting snow geese in snow storm tips

CHSD

WKR
Does anyone have any tips for hunting snow geese in a snowstorm? I've got work on Friday and we are supposed to get a snow storm. Looking for some tips. I've got 600 socks a few sillos, 50 ish full bodies and 40 shells and a rotory. Should I set everything out? Just set out a few?

KurtR

WKR
Get on the x and set them all. We got 14 today in the hurricane wind. Set out 25 full bodies . Had a couple nice spins problem was you got one good shot and they were gone.

If it's going to be actively dumping snow, you might throw out a bunch of dark goose decoys to increase your visibility.

600 socks filled with snow is a pain.

OP
C

CHSD

WKR
If it's going to be actively dumping snow, you might throw out a bunch of dark goose decoys to increase your visibility.

600 socks filled with snow is a pain.
The socks filling with snow was one of my concerns. I don't have a ton of space to set them out and get them all dried out.

The socks filling with snow was one of my concerns. I don't have a ton of space to set them out and get them all dried out.
The real trouble is when they all freeze together in the bags.

If you're dealing with heavy, wet snow it will be quite a bit worse than light, dry snow.

I would use all of your fullbodies and shells with a bunch of darks (silhouettes?) depending on the conditions.

If it doesn't snow real hard, just roll with your whole snow spread.

KurtR

WKR
Put them in the bath tub to thaw out then just hang them around the house. Make sure if you have a wife to send her on a girls trip those couple days haha.

OP
C

CHSD

WKR
Put them in the bath tub to thaw out then just hang them around the house. Make sure if you have a wife to send her on a girls trip those couple days haha.
Lol my wife would not love that. But I may have to do that!

WCB

WKR
Don't be afraid to get on the down wind edge or even outside of your spread if visibility is limited. Shot a ton of Snows in blizzards or blowing snow and many times they lift, slide, or flair if the decoys just appear under them because of limited visibility.

I agree with the set dark decoys out if you don't have a good mix of blues in your spread.

Other than that get after them...My absolute favorite time to hunt Snow geese is in high winds and blowing snow...like shooting fish in a barrel.

Like others have said, put out some dark goose decoys for visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you guys where whites or would you use a layout blind?

I would set up an a frame or fence panel blind the night before (or earlier) if possible and let it get naturally covered in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like whites for snows, as long as it isn't "blue" whites. Usually get that first shot before they are flaring compared to a blind. It's nice to have a free one down before they hook into that wind and get gone.

Haven't paid attention to the waterfowl market for years but most of the guys i hunted with used those silosock blinds that are basically just a backboard and a ghillie blanket. Blanket over legs and tyvek parka exposed on top for the win.

Last edited: