Hunting Truck Mid vs Full Size

Scottf270

WKR
I used two quad (crew) cab Dodge Dakotas over 15 years of hunting everything from Missouri to Montana. My nephew and I took that thing in some rough places considering we had to drive it 1,300 miles back home.
I absolutely loved them for how I hunted. We always tent camped or town hunted so sleeping in it wasn't an issue.
I finally decided to go full size with a Ram 1/2 ton non crew with a 6 1/2' bed. I always have a narrow 12" tool box for tools, saws, parts, ropes, and tie downs. I decided the little trucks offered very little at nearly the same price and gas mileage.
I'm more careful now and can't quite take the full size where I took the Dakota, but I'm happy with the full size.
( I will say the new Colorado's are sharp as hell)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've slept in the back of my pickups a few times over the years, but I will always prefer a tent, especially in colder weather. I can have my pack tent set up in 5 minutes, so that's the route I would go and forget the back of the truck. Then buy whatever truck you want for the trails. I still consider my Tundra to be a mid-size.

My F150 with a 6.5' bed and canopy is rigged for just that.
PM me and I'll send you some photos.
I have to admit the turning radius isn't ideal for tight trails but I haven't needed a helicopter sling rescue yet.

Macintosh

WKR
With all the height comments wasnt sure how tall the OP is, but if sleeping in it I’d go bigger. Ive had an old suburban, 2 tacomas and 2 “pre tacomas”, old tundra, a chevy colorado diesel, and now back to a silverado. The suburban was the best as far as versatility, folding down the back seats made a spacious bed without a wall, it was warmer and less drafty, didnt leak, etc. But you’ll frost the windows in cold wx. I’m 6’2” but thin, I could not sleep comfortably in any of the mid size trucks with a 6’ bed. Even my 6.5’ bed silverado I’m touching the tailgate or sleeping diagonally if I have to close tailgate for any reason. I get in my wifes Tacoma and it feels really cramped now.
Unless you need the narrower width or smaller footprint of a smaller truck, I dont know why people get them if they actually use them as a truck. The full size trucks arent much of a price increase unless you need a fancy trim package, the fuel economy is pretty close in real life (possibly better if you tow), and yet they are so much roomier and more capable, and Ive found more durable. At this point I dont think I could go back to a mid size.

Loo.wii

WKR
Taco can’t go wrong. I was able to drive under a fallen tree twice and make a 180 degree turn on a narrow trail in my taco.IMG_1636.jpeg
Here is mine set up to go to Idaho next week. For spring bear. I added an rtt and solar recently

Loo.wii

WKR
With all the height comments wasnt sure how tall the OP is, but if sleeping in it I’d go bigger. Ive had an old suburban, 2 tacomas and 2 “pre tacomas”, old tundra, a chevy colorado diesel, and now back to a silverado. The suburban was the best as far as versatility, folding down the back seats made a spacious bed without a wall, it was warmer and less drafty, didnt leak, etc. But you’ll frost the windows in cold wx. I’m 6’2” but thin, I could not sleep comfortably in any of the mid size trucks with a 6’ bed. Even my 6.5’ bed silverado I’m touching the tailgate or sleeping diagonally if I have to close tailgate for any reason. I get in my wifes Tacoma and it feels really cramped now.
Unless you need the narrower width or smaller footprint of a smaller truck, I dont know why people get them if they actually use them as a truck. The full size trucks arent much of a price increase unless you need a fancy trim package, the fuel economy is pretty close in real life (possibly better if you tow), and yet they are so much roomier and more capable, and Ive found more durable. At this point I dont think I could go back to a mid size.
I am fully in the taco camp. Though I see your reasoning for siding with a full size truck.
In my opinion a taco is more capable off road than a full size off road. I say this having taken my bone stock taco over fins and things in Moab.
I’ve also been able to pull people out of ditches. And make near impossible turns on narrow trails. The benefits of a smaller truck are mainly maneuverability especially since I’ve had to drive mine into dense cities pretty often.
All that being said you do sacrifice space and towing power. But no one gets a taco to tow. I’ve solved the sleeping issue with a roof top tent.

Macintosh

WKR
Yep, remember, I’ve had 2 tacos, plus my wife still has one, plus had 3 other similar sized trucks as a taco. The short/narrow trucks are more manueverable for sure, and Im sure more capable in some rock-crawling type scrnarios. I’ve pulled my share of f250’s and similar out of ditches with em as well. We live on a dirt road and have a steep dirt driveway, so I tow about five different delivery trucks out of my driveway every winter! Tacos are great and really nimble, no argument there. What I found was that most of my off road use wasnt really technical though, it was mostly just goopy mud on old twitch roads, dealing with deep tire ruts, crossing the occasional big water bar or stream/gully, but very little of the sort of really technical thing Ive seen in moab, since you mentioned that. I went through 5 or 6 sets of leaf springs between two gen 2 tacomas though, plus a bunch of other wear-related repairs, and I find because they are light they “float” in mud or snow and lose grip easier. Those elements along with driving/camping comfort are really why I say what I did (in addition to the towing). It may be a little more particular to my uses, but I would just say be realistic about what capability you really need/want, and don’t get a little rock crawler if what you need is more meat and potatoes off-road stuff but more space. Hope that makes sense.

I guess it depends on how you look at things.

My truck is a tool, and I use it as such, I take it places guys won't go with mid size trucks, and I got 4 tires on the back.

There's a few scenarios I can see a mid size really being better, but combined with the drawbacks, I think a full size is probably as practical for most, especially with these modern "mid size" that are the size of an F-1fitty 15 years ago.

jimh406

WKR
A midsize bed gets really small when you put coolers, gear, and animals in the back. I would check to see how much room you have for sleeping after you have gear you want in the back.

cjdewese

WKR
Man I am 6' and to this day my wife and I have liked the tacoma and a camper shell best when it comes to ease of setup and comfortability when camping. We traveled thousands of miles camping all over the west in it and had a great time. We had kids, so I traded the taco for a 4runner and have been doing tents with the family and it's fine, but nothing compares to having all of your stuff under you or in the cab then just crawling into an already made bed at the end of the day.

I don't get not being able to comfortably sleep in a 6' bed. I would take the manuverability of a Tacoma over the extra bed length of a mid size Tundra. It was night and day difference off road between my Tacoma and my Brothers Tundra.

I guess it depends on how you look at things.

My truck is a tool, and I use it as such, I take it places guys won't go with mid size trucks, and I got 4 tires on the back.

There's a few scenarios I can see a mid size really being better, but combined with the drawbacks, I think a full size is probably as practical for most, especially with these modern "mid size" that are the size of an F-1fitty 15 years ago.
SRW, but my 250 has been places people tell me a Tacoma wouldn't fit. Paint still looks good too.

If you're going to put a cap on and sleep in the back, get a Bedrug. So much less dust.

following
looking at Tacoma TrdOffroad or Colorado TrailBoss as midsize option
Or possibly stepping up to Silverado trail boss or Ram 1500 rebel.
With end of year deals on full size trucks, prices aren’t that far off.
Knowing myself and my driving style. I know I’ll want to push that truck to its limit and living in the Rockies I think midsize is more capable on smaller trails we got.

Ucsdryder

WKR
This....
I love the ability to just park in a new place whenever I feel like it, everything is packed, no headaches, no hassle.
Also, with a full size bed you can leave all your crap in there while you sleep. It’s nice not having to take anything out of the back and deal with rain, cold, theft etc. If you’re willing to deal with pin stripes you can get a full size truck in most places a mid size truck will go.