What’s your ideal hunting truck?

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Id say any dedicated hunting rig is better then using your daily. I have a 23 Tacoma and the vehicles I had when I was young and poor were much better hunting rigs simply because I didn't care what happened to them. I bought a side by side but I still worry about my Tacoma when I park it with the trailer that some dirt bag is going to bust out a window or steal the catalytic converter. Never had those concerns with my old beaters

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I have to be able to chain all 4 tires, fit three people, coolers, and lots of gear. I chose a 3/4 ton pickup.

WCT3

FNG
My old Toyota T100. It’s a ‘95 and I bought it in ‘06. It’s rough enough on the outside that I don’t mind going about anywhere. Awhile back it needed new seals on the rear axle so while they had it apart I had them put a posi-track setup on it. Runs like a top with 177k miles, expect to use it at least another five years.
I've always loved the T100. The only reason I bought my 1st gen Tundra instead was for the rear suicide doors.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw in my vote, 2018+ Ford f150 2.7 ecoboost in your preferred bed/cab configuration. Hard to beat 400ft/lbs torque and 20+mpg. The 2.7 is impressive and generally considered to be the more reliable ecoboost. Love mine

Longplay

FNG
If you are off roading, you don't want a diesel. Take it from somebody that takes his 4 door, 1 ton, long bed diesel everywhere. Diesels are only good if you are towing heavy , every weekend. They are so front heavy, loud and expensive. Will it do it, absolutely, is it fun, no. Get a 3/4 ton gasser. Load it up with a winch, lockers, and a good set of 4: quick cam, v bar chains and you will be able to drive up anything. I love a topper if you are sleeping in the bed, but would pass on the decked drawers with the topper. It takes up a lot of height and is hard to sit up in then. If not sleeping in the bed, I like a hard sided, folding tonneau cover with home built pullout drawers. I have had soft covers blow off in 80 mph winds.
Well said. Diesel should only go so far. Seems like case for multiple trucks here… depends on the trip

Pootie

FNG
I’m looking at selling my 4Runner (gets roughly 12mpg) and buying a new truck to use daily, but also as a hunting rig. I’m a Ford guy, but open to other brands. I know I want a 6’ bed, 4x4.. but do I go 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton? Diesel/gas? I apply in every western state, so this truck will rack up a LOT of miles. What do you all suggest?
Also, do you guys prefer drawer systems, camper shell, etc? I won’t be towing much in the near future, but those 6.7 Powerstroke F250’s are tempting.
Currently deciding between:
1. Keeping my 2020 4Runner (it’s regeared, on 34’s, winch, Gobi rack, etc).
2. Buying new F150 Powerboost, getting camper shell and decked drawer system.
3. Buying new F250 Powerstroke, getting camper shell and decked drawer system.
I would get the F250 can’t go wrong there

A diesel would be the absolute last truck I would get for hunting but not everybody hunts the same, if you are just pulling/hauling to camp and hunting from there off of good roads then that would be good. If you are having to travel through rugged 2 track roads for miles and miles to get to your hunting location then a 1/2 ton gas is the only way to go. Tacoma, Zr2, f-150 tremor, chevy trail boss etc.

jslove

FNG
I’ve used a 4x4 sprinter, an AWD GMC Savana, an old single cab manual Tacoma, a K1500 single cab, and now a crew cab F250 Powerstroke. For how I hunt these days (backcountry Colorado on foot, KS whitetail, etc) the powerstroke is the best (still have the taco also though). It goes as far as I need it to, has plenty of room for coolers, gear, extra folks, drives so nice in the mountains, and gets the best mileage of all of the aforementioned vehicles. Can tow a trailer obviously if needed, although many trucks can these days. I built the vans out as climbing family rigs and they were great, but ultimately i don’t like thrashing any of my vehicles and having your ‘house’ in the back seat feels bad to me rallying up forest roads. If I wanted to go farther up the road on wheels, I’d put a bumper pull and lockers on the Tacoma and take it with me as I wouldn't mind beating it up.

A diesel would be the absolute last truck I would get for hunting but not everybody hunts the same, if you are just pulling/hauling to camp and hunting from there off of good roads then that would be good. If you are having to travel through rugged 2 track roads for miles and miles to get to your hunting location then a 1/2 ton gas is the only way to go. Tacoma, Zr2, f-150 tremor, chevy trail boss etc.
Tacoma is pretty far from a 1/2 ton. You'll be lucky to get 500lb in it without serious suspension upgrades and even then, the frame isn't up to the task.

dtrkyman

WKR
A ford excursion that once to the mountain you can reduce the size by half then make it usable on tight mountain roads.

I joined my local 4x4 club years ago, so this 4Runner was built for off-roading in an attempt to keep up with my Jeep buddies on 37’s. IMO, 34’s are the sweet spot on a 5th Gen with 4.56 gears. We just had a baby, so we don’t off-road as much these days, and I’m leaning into hunting a lot more. I figured a truck would make more sense. I agree, the 4Runner is a great vehicle for getting me places (I can deal with the 12MPG), but my thought process was, if I can get a full size truck with a bed that also gets better MPG, that would be ideal. And a bed to haul around carcasses and hopefully one day, a 300+ Elk rack would be great. Throwing a pig carcass (for example) into the back of my 4Runner wouldn’t be ideal. My main hunting trip every year is in Colorado, but live in California (unfortunately), so making that drive with a prized Elk rack on my roof rack isn’t ideal either… a truck just made more sense.

After reading through all of these suggestions though, I may be more undecided than I was before. Lots to consider.

I’ve got a ‘22 4Runner with 33s and a 2.5” lift. Rides like a dream on rough roads, goes anywhere. If I could make one upgrade, it’d be a seat delete kit from Goose Gear just so it’s comfortable for the rare night I need to sleep in it. But I solo hunt mostly and typically backpack style. So I’m mostly just worried about getting to a trailhead. All depends on your style of hunting and uses. If I was going to upsize to a pickup and budget was no issue, I’d go with a 2nd or 3rd gen Tundra Double Cab with a topper. Throw a roof rack + topper rack on it, and you’ve got a pretty slick system. Plenty of gear storage space for two guys, can sleep two guys in the back, plenty of room for dead critters, comfortable to drive, not too big for the rough roads, good suspension and aftermarket options. Assuming you’re not towing that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elwingmd

FNG
I’ve been in the market for a new truck for about 3 years now. I’m about settled on a F250 gas. I do pull trailers but not on a weekly basis so I do want the extra power and towing capacity when I do. I never drive into tight spots in the mountains or do excessive 4X4 driving. I view 4 wheel drive as a tool to get me out when things turn sloppy, not get me in. I’m also in the market for a small bumper pull toy hauler to take the family camping and early season hunts. I don’t use camper shells because I need the bed of my truck to haul all kinds of stuff with easy access to it. My ideal cover is a diamond hard cover that folds. The decked systems are cool but I still prefer to utilize the full depth of the truck bed.

Right now, I have an old 2004 Chevy 1500 that I keep throwing money at to keep it going. It’s a gutless wonder when it comes to towing anything. Hopefully, I’m done with repairs for a while and plan on keeping it running for a daily driver and use the newer truck for towing, camping, and hunting trips.
Did you end up getting one? thoughts?

For me, the 4Runner is tough to beat for an all around vehicle that will take me anywhere I want to go. My brother has a lifted Sequoia thats pretty nice as well.
I've lived in the back of a "91" 4-Runner for 2 weeks hunting Idaho and Utah. Drop the back seats, lay the egg crate matt, down sleeping bag, ice chest and all your gear. When it gets cold just reach up start the engine and blast the heater....................... ba-da-bing/ba-da-boom!