Hunting with expensive rifles

I bought a Kimber Montana this year and it is by far the most expensive rifle I have ever purchased. While I like it I think I may try to upgrade for some more accuracy. Maybe a CA Ridgeline, Cooper Backcountry, Fierce or other lightweight model. Maybe even build a custom off an old rifle from my grandpa.

For those that hunt with expensive rifles what do you do, if anything, to protect the rifle from damage? Specifically, I hunt a lot of brush in the SW. The oak brush scratches at everything. All my rifles are marked up from it. After 1 day my Kimber stock is already marked up from walking through the oak.

battle scars lead to good memories and conversation pieces. While in the field I do not protect the rifle, except for a little electrical tape over the muzzle for snow and mud. If i'm always worried about the rifle my eyes aren't scanning for game.

EastMT

WKR
I put an eberlestock rifle sleeve between my bag and frame. I like It especially for using as a day pack, everything covered except the butt stock, no scratches on scope, barrel, etc. An ammo sleeve on the buttstock keeps it 90% covered.

Plus I find not having the barrel sticking up is a real advantage in the alders and brush, much less frustration.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

jspradley

WKR
If it's too pretty to hunt with I wouldn't own it...but that's just me.

All of my guns are well taken care of but beat up cosmetically, even my most expensive ones.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a Backcountry. Never crosses my mind when I'm hunting to worry about it. FWIW the stock on that Montana is a little softer to the touch than the BC stock. That'll make a big difference in marks. I haven't even checked mine. I get back to the truck, put it in the case, and go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ll be taking 2 custom rifles on my deer hunting this weekend. I don’t do a thing to protect them, other than I do not put them in a boot or on ATV racks as those have hammered my nice rifles in the past. I built these rifles to hunt with and I hunt hard and in the back country so I like the carbon fiber barrels and CF stock as they can take a beating. If I’m babying a rifle I’m not having a good time hunting but that’s just mho

Like what’s been stated above, I also don’t worry about it. That said, I will do whatever it takes to mitigate rust, and if I’m hunting with a wooden stock rifle, I’ll do my best to keep it dry so the wood doesn’t swell, but it’s a very rare occasion that I hunt with a wood/blued rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
Like what’s been stated above, I also don’t worry about it. That said, I will do whatever it takes to mitigate rust, and if I’m hunting with a wooden stock rifle, I’ll do my best to keep it dry so the wood doesn’t swell, but it’s a very rare occasion that I hunt with a wood/blued rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rust can lead to real damage, not just cosmetic, good point!

Like stated above rifles are tools used in hunting. They will get scratched and dinged up especially if you use them and hunt hard and a lot.
Most my rifles are cerakoted and have held up very well.

tdhanses

WKR
Nothing, I didn’t buy it to look pretty, it’s a tool and gets used. It’ll get little cosmetic dings but not a big deal.

LightFoot

WKR
I have a couple expensive rifles and the price tag encourages me to use them more, ya know to get my money's worth.

Just use it!

>>>----------------->JAKE
Have gear, will travel.
-Katy, TX

Talx

FNG
When I'm home my rifles are treated well. During hunting time in Alaska (rain or snow), my rifles right there with me. I agree, builds character.

No special treatment for my custom 280ai. It’s got brush scrapes, buckle rash from the pack, and the ring screws are rusting, but it stacks 140 accubonds into tiny little groups with boring reliability.

Wapiti1

WKR
The rifle makers of old expected you to hunt with their creations and, when appropriate, you would return them to be refinished. Then they would go back out for use. I think they had the right idea.

I don't know anyone that has a safe full of collector hammers and crescent wrenches. Sure, some firearms are intended to be art, but not mine.

Jeremy