Huskemaw or vx5 for long range

dsharpe

FNG
I am try to decide on a huskemaw 4x16 or a vx5 on a 7mag. I have read leupold has been having some zeroing issues. Any experience with that?

I'm interested in the Huskemaw also. I used one on my guides gun several years ago and they loved them. Not sure why no one talks about them.

Leupold
Take a pass as their price increase last year eliminated any real or perceived value option they once had. For example, Trijicon Credo (HX) or Tenmile (HX) are more reliable options at a comparable price point. Some models are on clearance which is nice. A couple of weeks ago I got rid of my last VX5 HD (for a tidy profit). I will not be purchasing any more Leupold products as there honestly is no point any more due to their prices.

Huskemaw
Folks tend to be sour on the scopes mostly due to the BOTW show and how they were perceived to portray long range hunting. Right or wrong, it tainted how a lot folks view their scopes.

I've been in the field with folks with BOTW rifles, both their personal ones as well as those belonging to guides. This is in an assortment of terrain from the deserts of Mexico chasing Coues whitetail to Alaska chasing Dall, moose, grizzly, etc. The scopes appear to work well within their limitations; what I have seen tends to be the loose nut behind the gun that "loses zero" (been that nut before myself) and not necessarily the scope.

I do not believe that they have been Rokslide-drop tested but I have seen them abused in the field by clients (ex: dropped hard enough to crack rifle stocks) and still be on; I have not seen nor asked if the guides had been regularly re-zeroing them between the hunts. Seen more than a few with some serious gouges and still are working.

Do take a look at the Rokslide drop test results that ResearchinStuff linked to. There's some good info in there.

I had one of their blue diamonds pretty early on, that thing sucked. It never gave me any mechanical issues, it just had a terrible reticle and turrets. SFP was also a huge turn off and that was when there wasn't nearly the FFP options that there are today. That's also when they were about half the price they are now.

I've had a few of the VX5HD's all with the Impact 29 reticle. They were all solid. A buddy of mine still has one that I sold him that he abuses and it has been solid and tracks. The biggest downside to me is MOA. They have a mil version but that reticle blows. 15X in a SFP isn't too bad. IMO it's a great lightweight mid range hunting optic but I wouldn't put one on a dedicated LR rig.

In a nutshell, you can do a lot better than either of those for a LR optics for the same $$.

I have both of those scopes. The VX5 has better performance during low light by quite a bit. During daylight, both are very sharp. The turrets on the Huskemaw are considerably better. I had problems with the VX5 not returning to zero. The 1/3 MOA clicks on the Huskemaw are a little weird. I definitely prefer 1/4 MOA clicks, but the clicks on the VX5 are mushy where the clicks on the Huskemaw are very crisp. If the Huskemaw had better low light performance and 1/4 clicks, it would be my ideal scope. Either of them are good choices.

Last edited:

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what he said I have both scopes I have not noticed a return to zero issue with my leupold

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just never have looked through a Huskemaw that impressed me with the glass. Reticle doing its job is most important thing in a scope, but man, when you're paying the price they're asking for them now there's just clearer glass with not weird turrets available from other manufacturers.

nobody

WKR
I just never have looked through a Huskemaw that impressed me with the glass. Reticle doing its job is most important thing in a scope, but man, when you're paying the price they're asking for them now there's just clearer glass with not weird turrets available from other manufacturers.
I tend to agree with this assessment. They're just lost in a sea of comparable options, nothing makes them stand out anymore. There's just better scopes out there for less money today.

Shot

FNG
I've had a BOTW rifle with a huskemaw scope for 4 years now. Been on mtn goat hunts, sheep hunts, wolf, caribou, moose, and several others.

It has held true and never had an issue with the scope. In those 4 years it has never lost its zero and has functioned flawlessly.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I could careless about their "long range show". But from personal experience, their products work and do want I expect.

Dennis

WKR
I have two Huskmaw scopes in 5-20X50mm that have worked well. Never lost zero and tracking was good. My Nightforce and Swarovski optics are better scopes, but more money. Not sure about any of the newer Leupold scopes.

OP
D

dsharpe

FNG
Leupold
Take a pass as their price increase last year eliminated any real or perceived value option they once had. For example, Trijicon Credo (HX) or Tenmile (HX) are more reliable options at a comparable price point. Some models are on clearance which is nice. A couple of weeks ago I got rid of my last VX5 HD (for a tidy profit). I will not be purchasing any more Leupold products as there honestly is no point any more due to their prices.

Huskemaw
Folks tend to be sour on the scopes mostly due to the BOTW show and how they were perceived to portray long range hunting. Right or wrong, it tainted how a lot folks view their scopes.

I've been in the field with folks with BOTW rifles, both their personal ones as well as those belonging to guides. This is in an assortment of terrain from the deserts of Mexico chasing Coues whitetail to Alaska chasing Dall, moose, grizzly, etc. The scopes appear to work well within their limitations; what I have seen tends to be the loose nut behind the gun that "loses zero" (been that nut before myself) and not necessarily the scope.

I do not believe that they have been Rokslide-drop tested but I have seen them abused in the field by clients (ex: dropped hard enough to crack rifle stocks) and still be on; I have not seen nor asked if the guides had been regularly re-zeroing them between the hunts. Seen more than a few with some serious gouges and still are working.

Do take a look at the Rokslide drop test results that ResearchinStuff linked to. There's some good info in there.
Thanks for the info!

Cooter49

FNG
I do agree that Leupold prices are crazy. I have a VX6 and my buddy has a VX5, we both have not had any trouble with ours. They are both mounted on a 28 Nosler. My buddy did have trouble with his radical on his VX3i, (mounted on a .270 win) he sent it back to Leupold. They fixed it and has not had any problems since. I have not looked through a Huskmaw scopes, but they have intrigued me.

cworkman

FNG
I wouldnt put my trust in a VX series leupold for dialing a lot. I had an issue with one a few years ago and it ended up on a gun that will never dial for shots. No experience with Huskemaw. In that price range I have liked the stuff from Zeiss. The same rifle the VX was on now has a 4-16 V4 Zeiss and it has been great for the money. Dial all the way to end of elevation adjustment and back and returns no problem.

JDZ

WKR
Can somebody compare the eye relief and eye box between the two scopes?

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
Seams like you always get 1000 different answers on these topics. I know 100 guys swear by Leupold and a 100 that don't. Sometimes I don't know what to believe anymore.

morgaj1

WKR
Seams like you always get 1000 different answers on these topics. I know 100 guys swear by Leupold and a 100 that don't. Sometimes I don't know what to believe anymore.

My experience with Leupold dialers is that they work until they don’t and you never know when that will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: