Hypothetical tikka long range elk setup

brushape

WKR
How would you setup a factory barrel (added brake is ok) tikka 300win mag for elk and what would be your maximum range. This is purely hypothetical and a numbers standpoint. Single feeding for a long range shot in my opinion so I’d be looking hard at the Berger 200.20x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a T3X in 300 WM, topped with a Leopold VX6-HD (3-18x50), and it shoots 190 gr Bergers going 2900 fps. If the SFP version of the NX8 was available when i put it together, that would have likely been the scope I would have went with. The setup shoots too well now to mess with things and swap the scope out.

The setup is 8 pounds so the recoil is present. At some point I may replace the recoil pad with a Limbsaver. I personally will not use a brake on any rifle as the elevated sound levels do cause me physical pain even with foam inserts and over the ear protection. However, others find them much more tolerable and work amazingly well for them.

For this rifle, the maximum range on an animal would be 800 yards (not accounting for environmentals) as that is where it hits 1800 fps. Pretty much everything has to be "right" which is rarely the case.

With the exception of the 6.5s, Tikkas have slower twist rates so heavier bullets may or may not stabilize properly.

I would get a wsm instead, turn it into a long action, and shoot Berger 180 EH or 200.20x.

Regardless, that’s pretty light for my tastes with a 300 mag and really stretching it out so max range would be way less than the trajectory and velocity #’s suggest is reasonable.

Agree with wind gypsy. Take a pass on the win mag and get the WSM. Buy the HCA mag and shave your bolt stop down to make it a “long action” and have fun pushing heavy(ish) bullets.

Unfortunately with the twist rate the tikkas are less than ideal for heavier bullets... but I do have a friend who is running the 212 in a stock tikka 300wm at sea level stable - verified out to 1200 yards, so don’t completely count out the heavier offerings.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I'll agree with the factory barrels being a bit slow for heavy bullets. I know you said factory barrel, but swapping to a 1:10" 26" barrel would probably get you stable with the bullets you're considering and give you some velocity to boot. That said, definitely work up a load and try slinging the big boys with the stock barrel and see how it goes!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like wsm better than wm. The case is more efficient and precise. Too bad you gotta futz with the mag a little.

1800 fps is the lethal limit. Practical limit is the environmental factors. I ageee same as above.

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
800 yards max unless you are at the range verifying hits deeper then that. I would put a vortex (razor, amg,pst), Leupold (vx3,vx5hd,mark 5), or NF (nsx,shv, etc). Definitely put a brake on. 180's have always worked well for me but with elk 200gr cant hurt. I have shot tons of elk with my tikka m595 300 win with a brake and a leupold fixed 6 power. Had it since I was 12 and have changed nothing on it. Taken 10-15 elk from 300-500 yards one shot. Many more in closer. Good luck let us know what you decide.

WCB

WKR
I wouldn't mess with single feeding rounds....sounds like a solution waiting for a problem.
I'd find 12x Bushnell LRHS shoot some 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips and call it good out to 800ish. Basically I wouldn't over think it.

wyosam

WKR
How would you setup a factory barrel (added brake is ok) tikka 300win mag for elk and what would be your maximum range. This is purely hypothetical and a numbers standpoint. Single feeding for a long range shot in my opinion so I’d be looking hard at the Berger 200.20x

No need to turn an elk rifle into an elk rifle. Screw a scope to it, get good at shooting it, load it with quality ammunition, and go shoot elk with it. Done.

Edit- I forgot the long range part. Screw a big scope to it, and practice at distances beyond where you will shoot at game. Consistent first round hits from realistic field positions count as competent at a given range, walking them in from a bench does not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB
OP
B

brushape

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone, I have a muzzle brake on the way and I’ll throw my 4.5-18 lrhs on this sucker and see what it can do with some 200 eldx