I believe Im all set up...

bamagun

FNG
I just had a slick looking 7 mag put together and figured that was the excuse Ive been waiting for to dive into handloading. Im out of the country on a deployment so I havent taken any of this out of the box yet, but I should be able to hit the ground running in about a week when I get back. Im not going to be loading a ton of stuff, but what I do make I want to be as precise as I reasonably can. Ive tried to use the approach of buying the type of stuff where I wouldnt want to be upgrading crap all the time. That being said, I think I already want to send the Hornady calipers back and get Starretts or Mitutoyos just based on seeing what the youtube experts have in their hands. Take a look at what Ive picked up and let me know if any of the items are brands/models you ended up upgrading away from (and tell me why I should too). I know I need to pick up a trimmer of some sort (I cant make up my mind on that yet, but I wont be needing to trim for a while). Since the 270WSM and 7 MAG are almost identical in their bushing size range and the fact that I wanted to start loading right when I get back, I bit the bullet and just got enough bushings to where Ill have the one I need (and didnt get a micrometer because of that) Ive also downloaded every available reloading data doc. for 270WSM and 7mm Mag, but if any of yall have a solid load for the 195 Berger/ADG case I would appreciate it.

REDDING T7
RED TYPE S FULL LENGTH (305-313 bushings)
RCBS DECAPPING DIE (standard and HD)
REDDING INSTANT INDICATOR
WILSON EXPANDER
FORSTER COLLET PULLER w/collets
FRANKFORD ARSENAL QUICK-N-EZ TUMBLER
LYMAN UNIVERSAL PREP KIT
LYMAN FLASH HOLE UNIFORMER
RCBS CASE LUBE KIT/HORNADY ONE SHOT/IMPERIAL DIE WAX
HORNADY OAL GUAGE
HORNADY COMPARATORS
HORNADY HEADSPACE GUAGE KIT
MODIFIED CASES
SINCLAIR COMPARATORS
SINCLAIR BUMP GUAGE INSERTS
SINCLAIR BODY/XL BODY
HORNADY DIGITAL CALIPER
A FEW SINCLAIR HD BLOCKS
HANDFULL OF UNIVERSAL BLOCKS
VARIOUS AMMO BOXES
HORNADY DIE WRENCH
SET OF HORNADY LOC RINGS
RCBS CHARGEMASTER (thinking about swapping this for a MATCHMASTER if someone can tell me if its worth the extra $$)
SATURN POWDER FUNNELS
RCBS TRICKLER
FRANKFORD ARSENAL PLATINUM HAND PRIMER
MAGNETOSPEED V3

I think that is all of the equipment Ive ordered...
I have a K&M Arbor Press and Wilson Seater Die in my cart now for the 7mm. I only have a week to get some loads worked out and I'd like to be able to mess with seating depth right there at the range instead of driving back and forth.

Brass/Bullets/Powder::
7MMHORNADY X 50
7MM ADG X 100
7MM WIN X 50
270WSM WIN X 50
270WSM NOSLER X A HUNDRED OR SO OF 1X FIRED
CCI250
FED215
FED215 M
WLRM
RETUMBO RL26
8133 RL23
7977 RL25
H4831SC H4350
VIHT N165 N560 N565
MAGPRO

Damn, I didnt realize I ended up getting so much crap, but I guess thats about all of it. I know I have duplicate comparator/headspace stuff and will send back the brand that doesnt seem to have the best fit/finish. I should have enough primers to last me a while and I only picked up a pound of most of those powders except the 8133/Retumbo/RL26 (those I got up to 10lbs). From what I hear, I will like that ADG brass and will probably end up getting more and just use that other stuff as sacrificial. If any of yall have been loading 7mag with it let me know some good starting points.

Ill try to attach a picture of the rifle that caused me to get all that crap...

Attachments

• chris' 7mm.jpg
    chris' 7mm.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of getting the match master, get an a&d auto trickler setup. Not really that much more money, with a much better balance. The chargemaster is a good "entry level" automated machine. But, I've got a thing against strain guages, and against rcbs. It will do a better job of getting "reasonably" accurate drops, with the priority being speed and the "push a button and it goes" mentality. With my a&d setup, I can drop a 99.0 grain charge of rl33, accurate and consistent to +/-.02 grains, faster than I can dump the powder into the case and seat a bullet. 98 out of 100 throws, without touching it, pulling out kernels, dumping the charge and starting over, etc. Rcbs can't hold up to that, at least I KNOW the chargemaster can't, the match master is basically the same guts from what I see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
As for the rest, it all looks like it will do the job to me. Now, you don't have to get the high end calipers, but I'm not saying not to, but also not saying to not return the Hornady ones. I've heard good things about the igaging brand Amazon calipers. What's more important is, if you're going analog, knowing how to read them, and, regardless of analog or digital, how to get accurate measurements.

Another tool I really like, that you've already got a similar thing listed, is the Forster datum dial kit. It does the job of basically the entire Hornady line up. Want to measure shoulder bump for one cartridge, you need one adapter thing, get a second rifle, another one. With the Forster kit, I've measured shoulder bump, base to ogive of loaded animation, base to ogive of bullets, found bearing surface length, etc. All stuff I never even thought about before I got it, but my goodness has it been handy. What do you do if you want to measure shoulder bump on something like 357 sig? Does Hornady even have a tool that will? Well, that's similar to an issue I actually had, and with the forster kit, I didn't have to buy anything else.

Sorry, I'm often long winded

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
Instead of getting the match master, get an a&d auto trickler setup. Not really that much more money, with a much better balance. The chargemaster is a good "entry level" automated machine. But, I've got a thing against strain guages, and against rcbs. It will do a better job of getting "reasonably" accurate drops, with the priority being speed and the "push a button and it goes" mentality. With my a&d setup, I can drop a 99.0 grain charge of rl33, accurate and consistent to +/-.02 grains, faster than I can dump the powder into the case and seat a bullet. 98 out of 100 throws, without touching it, pulling out kernels, dumping the charge and starting over, etc. Rcbs can't hold up to that, at least I KNOW the chargemaster can't, the match master is basically the same guts from what I see.

Are you "all in" for about a grand with the auto trickler and the scale?

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Are you "all in" for about a grand with the auto trickler and the scale?
Yeah when I bought mine, it was about a grand. I think that's what the matchmaster is. I've got i think v2 of the auto trickler, so I've got the 3d printed parts. I've got a 3d printer, so I'm not really worried about them. I've made some pretty tough stuff with it.

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
As for the rest, it all looks like it will do the job to me. Now, you don't have to get the high end calipers, but I'm not saying not to, but also not saying to not return the Hornady ones. I've heard good things about the igaging brand Amazon calipers. What's more important is, if you're going analog, knowing how to read them, and, regardless of analog or digital, how to get accurate measurements.

Another tool I really like, that you've already got a similar thing listed, is the Forster datum dial kit. It does the job of basically the entire Hornady line up. Want to measure shoulder bump for one cartridge, you need one adapter thing, get a second rifle, another one. With the Forster kit, I've measured shoulder bump, base to ogive of loaded animation, base to ogive of bullets, found bearing surface length, etc. All stuff I never even thought about before I got it, but my goodness has it been handy. What do you do if you want to measure shoulder bump on something like 357 sig? Does Hornady even have a tool that will? Well, that's similar to an issue I actually had, and with the forster kit, I didn't have to buy anything else.

Sorry, I'm often long winded

I forgot to list the REDDING Instant Indicator on there.. Ill be checking out that Datum Dial though.. And youre exactly right about the importance of knowing how to use certain tools (especially measuring devices)

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to list the REDDING Instant Indicator on there.. Ill be checking out that Datum Dial though.. And youre exactly right about the importance of knowing how to use certain tools (especially measuring devices)
Either way, I do think you are well on your way to some fantastic quality ammo. Hard to go wrong with what you got(yes, even with my particular biased, I can recognize you have a great list. Snap on vs Mac). That list you made just goes to show, you really DON'T save money reloading. Well, you do, if all your tooling was free

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
I can't weigh in on bench vs hand,You can spend a lot of money on hand primer seaters. K&m and 21s century make great ones. If you're looking for stuff that you'll never look back and say, man, I wish I got x, they're who I'd get, and a labradar too. But, like I've said before, I've got really no problem with your list. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd get those two things. But budgets aren't unlimited... Yet

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
Maybe go bench mounted rcbs primer instead of handheld units

Funny you mentioned that. That RCBS Auto is the tool I wanted to get in the beginning, but went with that hand tool for some reason I cant remember. I think it was not being tied down to doing that task in one spot.

mvrk28

WKR
You damn guys are going to make me go broke...
You’ll spend even more when you replace the cheaper stuff with the more expensive stuff! For the price of the match master you’re not far off from one of these and these are 1000x better. Don’t worry it could be worse, somebody could have told you to get a Prometheus.

MeatBuck

WKR
Funny you mentioned that. That RCBS Auto is the tool I wanted to get in the beginning, but went with that hand tool for some reason I cant remember. I think it was not being tied down to doing that task in one spot.
I just pull the handle off mine so it’s not as “in the way”. Although having your bench setup with nutserts can be heLpful as you can just install the whole unit when u need it. It’s honestly really small and doesn’t take up much space permanently mounted. Best thing is you get a replicable stroke and greater feel for a full seat. And no blood blisters!

Trr15

WKR
Looks like you’ve got your bases covered. Check out the Forster datum dial as a possible alternative to the Hornady comparator and headspace gauge. I have the Hornady set up and have been eyeing the Forster. Don’t need it, but it looks pretty slick.

Edit: late to the party. Just realized someone already mentioned the datum dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
You’ll spend even more when you replace the cheaper stuff with the more expensive stuff! For the price of the match master you’re not far off from one of these and these are 1000x better. Don’t worry it could be worse, somebody could have told you to get a Prometheus.
Not to mention saving the frustration of trying to get something like the chargemaster to work. Shove a straw in it, all the funny little things people do to try to get them consistent.

... I still want a Prometheus... I almost got in line before they could be owned, just leased. Man do they look awesome. It's like comparing a current Ford GT to the old school one that kicked those stuck up Italians asses.

The charger master won't make bad ammo though. If it's your budget, it will do fine. There's a gazillion guys out there that use them, with great results that are better shooters than I am. But, The buy once cry once one I'd recommend is the a&d. There's a video a guy did on YouTube comparing the Hornady, rcbs, a&d, and I think two other throwers. I'll see if I can find it and link it

OP
B

bamagun

FNG

Im not even going to look that Prometeus up... Here I was thinking I was going above and beyond by getting that chargemaster instead of tying rocks to the end of a pole and balancing a pan on the other end... Im not sure what all Ive spent in the last month, over here, but I think the ammo I shoot past 300 yards is going to average out to around 100 bucks a round for the next five years.. I guess I need to buy some land and a bulldozer next then push out a 1k yard range so I can justify this stuff..

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
I can't weigh in on bench vs hand,You can spend a lot of money on hand primer seaters. K&m and 21s century make great ones. If you're looking for stuff that you'll never look back and say, man, I wish I got x, they're who I'd get, and a labradar too. But, like I've said before, I've got really no problem with your list. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd get those two things. But budgets aren't unlimited... Yet

I was really close to getting the labradar vs the V3, but beings that Im not going to be using it a whole bunch and that labradar seems to have some setup/operating limitations I went with the "plug and play" options. I already have a Caldwell chrono and hate using it due to its limitations, so that may have influenced my decision even though those two chronos are nothing alike in function... As far as the hand primer, since I have zero first hand experience with any of this stuff, I "think" I want to have the flexibility of a hand primer. Since there are a bunch of POS hand primers on the market, I just went with the priciest of the bunch with hopes it equaled quality (that philosophy never works out I know..). In hindsight, I probably should have got that RCBS auto/bench and just bolted that thing to a piece of plywood if I wanted to use it in multiple places

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
I just pull the handle off mine so it’s not as “in the way”. Although having your bench setup with nutserts can be heLpful as you can just install the whole unit when u need it. It’s honestly really small and doesn’t take up much space permanently mounted. Best thing is you get a replicable stroke and greater feel for a full seat. And no blood blisters!

What size do you use and for what tools?