I drew NM archery ibex

I drew the NM archery ibex tag. I am well aware of the difficulty of this hunt historically and I am well aware of the diminishing population of ibex in the Florida Mountains. I am still very excited for the hunt and I love a good kick in the teeth, I feel that this hunt was made for me.

My purpose for this post is to learn more about the behavior of ibex. I am going for a scouting trip here in the next month or so and I am hoping someone with some ibex experience can tell me what to look for. Do they behave like goats? Deer? Do they feed around and move at night? Should I focus on north facing slopes? Any info on ibex behavior and tips on finding them would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for your honey hole. Thanks.

Elkangle

WKR
They like to roost at night
They like the morning sun
They have scout nannys posted up at all times
They do like water
They do like the feed just under the cliffs
They love caves mid day

Good luck ! Such a great hunt with a bow...it's a shame what happened to them

TX_Diver

WKR
They like to roost at night
They like the morning sun
They have scout nannys posted up at all times
They do like water
They do like the feed just under the cliffs
They love caves mid day

Good luck ! Such a great hunt with a bow...it's a shame what happened to them

All of that and also the opposite of that depending on how they're feeling that day.

I have the Feb 2025 muzzleloader tag and am stoked to get another chance at them. Feels like a hunt that won't be there in a few years unfortunately.

Do you live in NM?

I drew the NM archery ibex tag. I am well aware of the difficulty of this hunt historically and I am well aware of the diminishing population of ibex in the Florida Mountains. I am still very excited for the hunt and I love a good kick in the teeth, I feel that this hunt was made for me.

My purpose for this post is to learn more about the behavior of ibex. I am going for a scouting trip here in the next month or so and I am hoping someone with some ibex experience can tell me what to look for. Do they behave like goats? Deer? Do they feed around and move at night? Should I focus on north facing slopes? Any info on ibex behavior and tips on finding them would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for your honey hole. Thanks.
That's an awesome hunt to go on.

OP
type2bowhunter
All of that and also the opposite of that depending on how they're feeling that day.

I have the Feb 2025 muzzleloader tag and am stoked to get another chance at them. Feels like a hunt that won't be there in a few years unfortunately.

Do you live in NM?
I'm a non resident

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I am proof, that it can simply be a matter of being on the right rock, at the right minute, and being able to make a long shot! Happy to chat with you about the few times I’ve been down there. That bow hunt is absolutely a team sport, so get a Posse together with GLASS

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 77

CMF

WKR
Good luck on the hunt, Post updates!
Never been, but do put in for the archery.
I believe there is a NM Ibex FB group

I've seen posts on here and FB about the declining numbers. Anyone have any data or anything to share in regards to that or is it just hunter experience?

OP
type2bowhunter
Good luck on the hunt, Post updates!
Never been, but do put in for the archery.
I believe there is a NM Ibex FB group

I've seen posts on here and FB about the declining numbers. Anyone have any data or anything to share in regards to that or is it just hunter experience?
I saw an Instagram post from an outfitter and they believe that there are less than 200 left.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Man I like your attitude, sort of like a wilderness elk hunt, you must embrace the suck. It's part of the game.

I don't have any experience with the critters but have a seen a few shows on them. One thing I've noticed that I'd recommend is spotting them from flat ground next the base of the mountain. It's much easier to drive around at the base using a spotter to locate them them form a plan to get to them and hunt. Arrive early to scout them if possible.

As stated above, a two man approach would be best if you have a partner.

I suggest the best spotter you can afford. IF that's too much for one hunt look into renting a good swaro for the week. Well worth the coin IMO.

Best of luck and post up about the hunt.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
What’s up with that? I’ve always heard it was an ideal environment…etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NM thought they were overloading the mountains capacity plus I've heard the predator population has exploded. They also don't want them leaving the Florida's due to mixing with other animals. I believe there's an open kill on them outside of the Florida zone.

Many theorize that once NM decided to reduce populations, they combined with the cats went too far. Now they have a very low population but don't want to reduce the tags due to income.

If they care about maintaining a resource they should cut out rifle hunting for a couple years to help the population out. NOT likely to happen.

BBob

WKR
What’s up with that? I’ve always heard it was an ideal environment…etc.
Rain has been scarce for a number of years so they decided to reduce numbers probably killing more than they should have which included continuing to kill the nanny’s.

As long as I’ve been aware they’ve always wanted to restrict them to the Florida’s. I don’t know what the current deal is there but in the past if you had a tag you could hunt outside the Florida range all year and kill as many as you found. They were always a bit scarce off the range with the locals killing those off. Same thing used to go for Barbary sheep, you could hunt year round outside the designated areas. Those were tough to find too.

ShakeDown

WKR

Do you live in NM?

This made me laugh because it’s so true.

Grew up in the area but have never hunted them with tag in hand. Spent some time helping and some time watching though. A buddy had a small window at 80 one year and couldn’t seal the deal. Another buddy drew a rifle hunt and killed a stud about 5 years back.

Amazing animals, don’t lose your cool when you get buzzed by a snake :oops:

CorbLand

WKR
Practice steep angle shots with your bow. Be ready to hike the mountain a ton. Be ready to spend some time behind the glass.

Scoot

WKR
I've heard those mountains are rough. Really rough! As in... guys have rolled up to them and glassed from the base of them, tried several areas to look at where to go, and then drove home and never hunted. Not sure if it's true, but I've definitely heard that...

I've also heard that you WILL see both snakes and big furry spiders while you are there. Not trying to freak you out, just a heads up so you know in advance. It also sounds like you should expect to find no water at all on the mountain.

Rugged, rough, rocky, and unforgiving. Seems like a little slice of heaven to me! I hope you find some critters and have a blast! Good luck!

Do you have the October or January hunt? No need to worry about snakes usually in January. Very little water on the mountain so be prepared for that. It’s extremely tough to spot them from below and then try to climb up to them for a stalk. It’s better to be on the mountain and have a spotter below you directing you into them. It will look way different on the mountain than from down below. You will be cliffed out on a regular basis. If you go down a shoot, crack, small cliff then make sure you can get back out.

They stay in the cliffs at night and will feed either on top or in the canyons and grassy slopes below and in between the cliffs. If you find a mineral deposit then sit tight on that thing because they come to that like cattle on salt blocks. One of the best ways to hunt them is to find a saddle where they cross a lot or a canyon between cliffs where they are coming out to feed. Build a ground blind and wait for one to pass.

Be prepared for warm days and freezing nights if it’s the January hunt. Last time I had that hunt it snowed and blew 60 mph winds for 2 days straight. Couldn’t even get on the mountain with 10” of snow. Just way too dangerous. Watch out for lots of loose rock and hidden mine shafts. Bring leather gloves, brush pants, and walking sticks. Bring tweezers and pliers to pull all the stickers and cactus needles out. 🤣 very cool critters to just sit and watch their acrobatics.

OP
type2bowhunter
I've heard those mountains are rough. Really rough! As in... guys have rolled up to them and glassed from the base of them, tried several areas to look at where to go, and then drove home and never hunted. Not sure if it's true, but I've definitely heard that...

I've also heard that you WILL see both snakes and big furry spiders while you are there. Not trying to freak you out, just a heads up so you know in advance. It also sounds like you should expect to find no water at all on the mountain.

Rugged, rough, rocky, and unforgiving. Seems like a little slice of heaven to me! I hope you find some critters and have a blast! Good luck!
We've got rattlers and tarantulas in my home state where I hunt so those aren't occupying my mind one bit. And the rougher and rockier the better, the more miserable the more fun, right?

OP
type2bowhunter
Do you have the October or January hunt? No need to worry about snakes usually in January. Very little water on the mountain so be prepared for that. It’s extremely tough to spot them from below and then try to climb up to them for a stalk. It’s better to be on the mountain and have a spotter below you directing you into them. It will look way different on the mountain than from down below. You will be cliffed out on a regular basis. If you go down a shoot, crack, small cliff then make sure you can get back out.

They stay in the cliffs at night and will feed either on top or in the canyons and grassy slopes below and in between the cliffs. If you find a mineral deposit then sit tight on that thing because they come to that like cattle on salt blocks. One of the best ways to hunt them is to find a saddle where they cross a lot or a canyon between cliffs where they are coming out to feed. Build a ground blind and wait for one to pass.

Be prepared for warm days and freezing nights if it’s the January hunt. Last time I had that hunt it snowed and blew 60 mph winds for 2 days straight. Couldn’t even get on the mountain with 10” of snow. Just way too dangerous. Watch out for lots of loose rock and hidden mine shafts. Bring leather gloves, brush pants, and walking sticks. Bring tweezers and pliers to pull all the stickers and cactus needles out. 🤣 very cool critters to just sit and watch their acrobatics.
I got the October hunt. Thanks for the info on tactics. Through my minimal reasearch thus far I had kind of concluded what you mentioned. That putting on a stalk from the base of the mountain would be futile. I'll try to pattern and ambush, piece of cake! 🤣