I got cold...

rayporter

WKR
you are doing the right thing to discover what works now. I am confident you wont freeze when the chips are down.

here is a couple other things to try or be aware of. the pad. it is easy now to add a pad on top of your pad to test what many have suggested[ a pad problem] it only takes a quarter inch to three eights inch added on top to be sure.

you can make a mantle of material such as polar guard or any insulation you can get at a fabric store to go over your bag. a 3 ft by 6 ft piece can be velcroed to the top to add a generous amount of insulation and help your temperature rating by several degrees. it could even be velcroed into your bivy. heck an old poncho liner tied over your bag would give a quick test on a cold night.

luck-ray

bivouaclarry

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the bag liner. The liner will give you more range with your current bag.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I've never used the bag liner. Anybody have an example of what they think I should grab? I think the only ones I've seen have been like fleece ones.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Ucompaghre vest and a Kuiu Kenai and Kifaru LPP puffy's. The Kifaru is super warm. It blocks wind well and breathes decent for as warm as it is. The Ucompaghre is probably the least insulated of the 3. It is a great item for some things, I can be fairly active without overheating in it. It isn't super warm for sleeping. That said I would never want to go through a whole year with just the Kifaru LPP, it's to warm for a lot of scouting trips or hunts. It's great when I need it but the Kenai or a combo of the Kenai and Ucompaghre is plenty most of the time and only a little heavier than just the LPP. It would definitely add a lot of warmth while sleeping.

I have and use the zip off Kuiu Kenai puffy pants too. I love that I can easily put them on for glassing or take them off for hiking without removing my boots. I use them to sleep in when I need to.

Last thing in my sleep kit for colder weather is a pair of heavy Thorlo wool socks. I like the Darn Tough socks for hiking and hunting but I like having the heavy Thorlo socks for sleeping in. They are tall socks and come past where the Kuiu Kenai pants stop.

My system is probably heavier than just a warmer bag, but I've slept in my 20 degree bag in 0 degree weather comfortably with the puffys and socks on in my bag. My bag is a Kifaru Slickbag it may be warmer than some 20 degree bags too.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone throwing a Kifaru Doobie over their 3 season bag to dip into the below 20f??