I guess we need a 2022 fitness goal thread!

3forks

WKR
I’ve always been more focused on cardio, and will ride my indoor trainer (Zwift races for at least an hour a day), but when I can ride outside - I can usually get in 2 hours +.

I’m also going to force myself to lift more, and if concentrating on strength training means that I can’t ride as much, I’m going to do it so that I have a more rounded fitness program.

Also, for what it’s worth - someone on Rokslide recommended the book “The Comfort Crisis”, by Michael Easter. I am assuming since everyone posting in this discussion is committing to a level of discomfort that it takes to improve their fitness, this book will resonate with you.

*zap*

WKR
looking to do better than last year.....more volume on everything and better strength on my compound strength exercises. Better mobility especially shoulders and hoping to have my knees stronger (finally). There are a few other weak spots to work thru also...looks to be a great year so far thou!
Hope all you fellas crush it this year!

Seeknelk

WKR
Ive hit my squat and deadlift goals so I want to get back to 95 percent of those without training with quite that much weight on the bar. Chasing more is probably diminishing returns. I'll continue strength training , especially kettlebell S and S work and pullups 3 times / week.
Following uphill athlete training protocols for trail work is my plan. 80 percent easy hill hikes with light pack. I can pack weight no problem, don't need to grind my hips and knees down unnecessarily.
Play hockey at least once a week, twice when it's available till it's over. That's my Sprint session.
Build a big metabolism thru the strength training.
And finally the biggie...drop from 265 to 225. Tracking cals and weight, intermittent fasting most days. Eat a quality keto lunch and good supper with some carbs.
I should hike every morning but I suck at mornings. I plumb commercial apartments right now so I'm moving a lot more.
So get down to 225. I'm 5-10
Hike 3 times a week.
Lift 3 times a week.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
This year's hunting expeditions were mostly fantastic. Great memories, beautiful country, new lessons learned, all that. But, tbh, it Sucked physically.

After 4 years away from the gym & a 40 lb weight gain, I'm back to crossfitting 3X/wk, and eating better.
My goals: no injuries, lose 30 lbs, do a handstand, do a pullup by 2023.

I started end of December & already have more energy. Did a workout Friday that aggrevated my PF, but I'm a quick learner so we'll be modifying all box workouts for a while.

Good luck to all. Life's too short to be out of shape :)

GCMan

FNG
This is an interesting thread. I just got hammered by some members for requiring a hunting partner to come prepared and fit. What is a good measurement of good elk hunting fitness? Cardio measurement for me personally in 10 min / mile. 5K weekly. I plan to not use ATVs and backpack - so 50 lbs - 5 miles on flat terrain training. I'm in Missouri. Any thoughts?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ not sure what you're asking exactly?

are you saying your cardio is 10 min miles and you do three miles (5k) weekly? if so, that's not even in the ballpark if you want to be fit for a backcountry hunt- at least the backcountry hunts that I do

BDRam16

WKR
This is an interesting thread. I just got hammered by some members for requiring a hunting partner to come prepared and fit. What is a good measurement of good elk hunting fitness? Cardio measurement for me personally in 10 min / mile. 5K weekly. I plan to not use ATVs and backpack - so 50 lbs - 5 miles on flat terrain training. I'm in Missouri. Any thoughts?
You got hammered because you came across as a bossy know it all who hasn’t even been elk hunting yet.

twall13

WKR
I don't know how I missed this thread at the beginning of the year but I'm on board again. My goal this year is 1,600 trail miles (trail running, hiking, mtn. biking) with at least 1,000 being trail running. I can see myself mountain biking a bit more this year which will add miles quickly if I want it to so I had to keep the trail running goal up where it's still a challenge. I also plan to do at least 250,000 ft. of vertical over those miles. I'll maintain my current routine of body weight exercises (air squats, planks, pull ups, chin ups, pushups, and lunges) and add in some weighted pack workouts as hunting season gets closer. I'm feeling good and it's looking like it's going to be a great year.

Here's my report through January:
Trail running miles- 114
Hiking miles- 20
Mtn. Biking Miles- 0
Total Trail Miles- 134
Total elevation gain- 23,000

b64ffb6e210e2cd9087cc579cf696561.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a good January with 155 miles on the trails (23 of those with backcountry skis). Not keeping track of elevation this year, but in the 35,000' range.

Definitely on track for 2022 miles. Have some bigger trips in the works, so they'll give me some breathing room too.

Hit my strength training sessions twice a week. Deadlift/squats/bench.overhead press- all up. Sticking with Wendler's 5/3/1 as it works for me.

DAaYTCU.jpg

XavwyHM.jpg

Laramie

WKR
Feel like I have been sick for 6 months... ready for the weather to change. Hard to exercise like this.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just an average month and some fun starting with Odin🥰🤙one good long day on shoes so far I hate them the necessary evilll🤣🌈…garmin changed the elevation tally so still running at 400k gain tally for 12 months…..snow is deep in the cabinet mountains…..did not see another person track💯

Attachments

• 29CC4017-5DBB-4215-AE38-96F122A6589E.jpeg
    29CC4017-5DBB-4215-AE38-96F122A6589E.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 33
  • D88752DC-9D0B-48AF-A874-9F244AB31875.jpeg
    D88752DC-9D0B-48AF-A874-9F244AB31875.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 32
  • B00649A2-E389-484D-8D7A-51FB52A6B4B5.png
    B00649A2-E389-484D-8D7A-51FB52A6B4B5.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just an average month and some fun starting with Odin🥰🤙one good long day on shoes so far I hate them the necessary evilll🤣🌈…garmin changed the elevation tally so still running at 400k gain tally for 12 months…..snow is deep in the cabinet mountains…..did not see another person track💯

good work!

the Cabinets have been piling it up!

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Goal - be able boogy up that mountain when there's a screaming elk at the top of it

Benchmark will be boogying up that mountain when there's a hammering gobbler at the top of it

Posted this in the weight loss thread but I reckon it belongs here.

I’m in: 36yo 6’4 234lb as of my physical 2 days ago
Been working out 4x week for the last 6 weeks or so.
Last January became of stress and work stuff I had dropped to 206lb. I had not weighed that since my junior year of high school. I don’t even like thinking about how week I was. I have since made huge life changes and gotten back on track.

My goal is to add 6 more lbs by the last day of Feb to hit 240lb then drop for 12 weeks trying to keep my lean Mass up and get my fat down to settle at 220-230lb. I am hitting Idaho for 6-7 days for spring bear at the end of May beginning of June and need to be in top shape. I’d like my body fat to be around 12%-15% (I have to stay realistic lol) I did it a few years ago starting at 242lb but didn’t have the lean mass going into it like I do now.

I really want to keep progressing in weights as I lose but it will get a bit tough to do once I get closer to my goals.

I’ll throw up lift numbers to help myself keep track of where I’m at now and where I’ll end. These are based on 1rm’s from a weight/rep calculator in my workout app. These reps are all top sets (last set for each exercise) during the workout so I think the real numbers would be a little bit higher, not sure though.

Squat: 405x4 = 442 1rm
Dead: 385x4 = 420 1rm
Dumbbell bench: 95x6 = 110 1rm (I don’t barbell bench anymore from shoulder issues)
Military press: 165x10 = 220 1rm

I REALLY want to hit 500 dead, 475 squat, 255 military and 150 db bench.

Keep up the awesome works guys. I used to think I would hit a certain fitness level and things would just come easier. NOPE. It’s a grind all the time.

My family and hunting are my motivators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk