I had a dream...

Geewhiz

WKR
I had a dream last night about a carbon fiber scope tube. Is there a reason why this couldn’t be a thing? Seams like you might be able to cut down an ounce or two for the guys willing to pay absurd prices for ultralight.

Your welcome for the industry changing billion dollar idea. Just curious what people’s thoughts are.

Rock-o

WKR
There are carbon fiber scope mounts. Sooooo....

Oh and some people pooh-pooh those mounts. Disimilar materials and I don't recall what the other reasons were. But if the scope is also carbon fiber than that concern goes out the window.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I know Kruger optical did it at one point. I have no idea if they still do and haven’t used or know anyone that has used one

oneshotGA

FNG
Well, I'm no metallurgy expert but I have some limited experience with properties of dissimilar metals from work. Unless the metal is unfinished, I wouldn't think that there would be a problem. Both should have parkerizing, powder-coating, Duracoat, etc, etc., which to my understanding is all relatively inert. As to expansion and contraction, unless carbon fiber expands and contracts at a much different (higher) rate than aluminum or steel, I can't see it being much of a problem unless you're going from sub-zero temps into the Sahara or vice versa. Even then, it seems doubtful. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong about that but it doesn't make sense to me. That said, I think (once again, with limited technical knowledge of carbon fiber) that the idea of a carbon fiber scope tube sounds interesting, and I'd like to hear what some more knowledgeable people have to say about it.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I mean, it seams like it could be done.

I just laughed when I woke up and realized I dreamt of that. I’ve been on rokslide too much. Haha