I know it's not a sheep but I drew NM IBEX!

I've seen some great results with the outfitter you mentioned. Not to throw shade on them or any other, but, this is not the kind of hunt you would need to shell out money for an outfitter. Should you kill one in a location that is hard to retrieve then I would have some contacts ahead of time for getting it off. I'm deathly afraid of heights and that made it rough but I got around just fine and was in ibex every day. Finding ibex is not hard. Judging ibex is not hard. Getting in bow range however, is. Some of your stalks could take all day in brutal sun with snakes around every corner. A good friend with a spotter at the bottom and a radio is just as good. These critters are unpredictable and outfitters will know the mountain but I've spent 15 days chasing them and several watching. I don't know that they ever do what you think they are going to do. Just when you think they are going to cross a saddle they go straight up/down a cliff. Need good warm weather gear, snake chaps, tough gloves, and try to build your arrow set up to be least wind resistant as possible. Practice shooting at extreme angles.
IMO this is the toughest hunt you can do with a bow in the lower 48. Success rates show that, whether or not there is an outfitter involved. You have the flexibility to take the time it deserves off work and you are in shape, you got this DIY!

Outwest

WKR
Congrats! That's a fun hunt for sure. I call it the bowhunters education seminar! I've only ever hunted with folks who have the January tag but have been around in October as well. The October hunt will give you a better shot at a mature billy since it is the first hunt of the year. The downside to Oct. is usually the heat so plan for water. The Floridas are pretty gnarly but can be hunted very safely if you do it wisely. Just like the barbary country mentioned above, it is all very manageable as long as you keep your head on straight.

If you are going with an outfitter, Derek at SPGS is a great guy and will get you where you need to be.

Good luck this fall!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Congrats! That's a fun hunt for sure. I call it the bowhunters education seminar! I've only ever hunted with folks who have the January tag but have been around in October as well. The October hunt will give you a better shot at a mature billy since it is the first hunt of the year. The downside to Oct. is usually the heat so plan for water. The Floridas are pretty gnarly but can be hunted very safely if you do it wisely. Just like the barbary country mentioned above, it is all very manageable as long as you keep your head on straight.

If you are going with an outfitter, Derek at SPGS is a great guy and will get you where you need to be.

Good luck this fall!
Wow, going to be an adventure. Look forward to the story.

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to this. Being an October hunt date, I will be in PRIME physical condition from living in a tent on mountains since August so I will be able to give it my personal 100%.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously you guys have watched too many Zac Griffith videos. The mountain is not that big. I took my 6 and 9 year old kids up to the top of Florida peak a few weeks ago as a day hike. There are plenty of snakes, but not anymore there than most other spots in Southern NM. There are huge cliffs that you cannot climb but you can work your way around most of them.
The NMDGF has been absolutely hammering them for the past 5 years. Numbers are way down from even 1 year ago. If people are giving you advice who have not been on the mountain in the past 6 months, then they have no idea of what the population looks like now.
I will echo the above statments, Derek at SPGS is a good choice for a guide.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The NMDGF has been absolutely hammering them for the past 5 years. Numbers are way down from even 1 year ago. If people are giving you advice who have not been on the mountain in the past 6 months, then they have no idea of what the population looks like now.

The NMDGF has been hammering the snakes or Ibex?

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on drawing an awesome tag!
That mountain can eat a guys lunch for sure. I think I ran into some guys from South Peak then some from G3 in January and they seemed to know their stuff. That hunt is probably the only hunt you will ever run into a guy carrying a bow and another guy next to him with 3 hanks of ropes and a big daisy chain of climbing gear.
My best advice is practice as far as you can(100+ yds) , shoot angles up and down, and practice shooting in the wind. Don't hesitate to shoot anything over 30".
October is hot and the snakes are out but watch your step and take water and sunscreen and you'll be fine!
Oh and watch for Lions. There are plenty of them.

Attachments

• 20190129_120331.jpg
    20190129_120331.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190126_154559.jpg
    20190126_154559.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190125_114402.jpg
    20190125_114402.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 96
OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Congrats on drawing an awesome tag!
That mountain can eat a guys lunch for sure. I think I ran into some guys from South Peak then some from G3 in January and they seemed to know their stuff. That hunt is probably the only hunt you will ever run into a guy carrying a bow and another guy next to him with 3 hanks of ropes and a big daisy chain of climbing gear.
My best advice is practice as far as you can(100+ yds) , shoot angles up and down, and practice shooting in the wind. Don't hesitate to shoot anything over 30".
October is hot and the snakes are out but watch your step and take water and sunscreen and you'll be fine!
Oh and watch for Lions. There are plenty of them.

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Obviously you guys have watched too many Zac Griffith videos. The mountain is not that big. I took my 6 and 9 year old kids up to the top of Florida peak a few weeks ago as a day hike. There are plenty of snakes, but not anymore there than most other spots in Southern NM. There are huge cliffs that you cannot climb but you can work your way around most of them.

That's what I've been saying plenty of guys and kids have killed ibex up there, but I guess since summitstrong can't do it, its impossible