Moose Gear List Help

I hunted Alberta's swamps and would have been is bad shape if I wasn't wearing light merino base, gloves, gaiters and the Sitka Gear polygiene light zip tee with built-in facemask. The bugs in the lowlands can carry you away...you want nothing exposed.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

AKDoc

WKR
Just remember when packing that everyone's "wouldn't leave home without it" items are different based on location and experience. Looking for a moose gear list for Alaska is like looking for a midwest whitetail gear list. There is a big difference if you're hunting North Dakota or Kansas. Then consider the area a person could potentially be dropped off to hunt moose in Alaska is about 2-3x the size of the midwest. Just in the 100 or so square miles I've been dropped with the same transporter, I've had years that I could've just had hip waders to load and unload the plane and years I put on my waders at 7 AM and they were on for 14 hours. Always fall back on your transporter for information.

Every moose kill I've been a part of, the meat has been laid out to air cool on a ground rack built with branches. I've never had a tree near camp tall enough to hang a moose quarter off the ground, I've never seen a fish in any of the lakes I've hunted (I've tried), and I'd have to burn some serious boot leather to find a birch tree to build a call out of. That doesn't mean those aren't alright recommendations for someone else. Just be weary on internet information and especially information from folks with maybe one trip. My good friend that flies me said that a handful of years ago he picked up a moose that was not in game bags from a group that said they heard on the internet game bag weren't necessary. Now he checks guys before they go in the field and the same sentiment comes up from at least one group every couple years.

Have your core list of items you would bring on any wildness hunt and then look at some of the "needed" items listed above more as items to consider for where you're going, your allowable weight, and how you like to do things. To add a handy tool to the list; going back to comment #7 that was meant to be a joke, a meat hook is a pretty handy tool that is light and overlooked.
BTTT…well said guy.