Idaho 36A mule deer

OP
mtnstag

mtnstag

FNG
That's great advice. With anything involving mountain hunting, I realize the importance of pivoting and being flexible. Im glad he was able to bag one!

I concur with the weather one year can be 55 deg and the next year it could be 2 feet of snow
you have to have spots scouted for any of the weather possibilities

For what its worth, my buddy and I hunted 36A (for Mule Deer) as part of our first western venture last season. Same thoughts, would rather get away from people for a few deer than deal with crowds period. Hiked in, camped for 3d and saw multiple people and no deer.

Now part of that is due to inexperience and not being able to get to where we truly wanted (I was admittedly the anchor).

In the end we pulled out, started to park and branch out from the truck daily and I was able to take a buck on our last day in Unit 50 to the southeast.

OP
mtnstag

mtnstag

FNG
Haha very true. Sometimes it's rather entertaining the misdirection and smoke and mirrors. Due diligence with boots on the ground always serves best.

sneaky

"DADDY"
There hasn't been any smoke and mirrors or misdirection given on 36A. Deer numbers are down from multiple hard winters in the past 4 years and the herd hasn't recovered. If you want to learn the hard way you'll have a thousand or so friends to share the experience with come Sep-Oct. Don't say you weren't warned. I mean, what do we know? We only live here and hunt elsewhere because of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alaskan

FNG
The weather can be all over the place. Last year on opening day there was a cold snap and it was down in the single digits. I would be prepared for anything from sunny and warm to freezing and snowing. you'll probably get a little of everything in between. Roads can get pretty sketchy, bring snow chains and recovery gear. You can't PM until you have 10 posts and are a member for 7 days.
Agreed with above!!