Idaho draw

Wrench

WKR
Interesting.
It certainly seems like the IDFG office sales likely doubled again this year. The large amount of people that travel to purchase in-person is news to me. I had no idea. Let's be real, most of these tags aren't very good. But, it seems like that the in-person and/or proxy buyer trend will continue.

Last year, I was #12. Bought an Island Park A tag.
This year, I was #1500. I figured I could get the same tag. There's 1,000 of them, for crying out loud. No such luck, already sold out. As was Pioneer A...I ended up buying a Palisades A tag, and there were only a few left at that point. At this point, it seems like you will need to either travel to Idaho or have someone proxy buy for you to secure even mediocre tags. I've hunted Idaho since 2007, but I think this may be my last year. I'm not driving to Idaho to spend $1,000 on a tag to hunt an overcrowded unit. There are better options.

I don't see an incentive for Idaho to change their system as long as people are buying these tags. Really, they should pry start charging more for them and I imagine that they will before long.

I do think it is reasonable that they patch their software (however that is done) to eliminate folks logging in on 6 different devices. I am pretty curious how many actual independent users are logging in to get these tags. This would at least mitigate some of the issues with repeated website crashes, I would think.

As a side note, did anyone notice that certain units were placed in the "sold out" category during the purchasing, only for those same tags to show up as available later on?
If they were added to a cart and not purchased....that would happen.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Didn’t IDFG adverise both on their email psa’s, and also on their automated virtual waiting room or queue, that you could purchase tags and license for other others (up to 5 in person)? It seemed pretty clear that was possible this year (last year I think it was less obvious). The msg displayed online while your turn was new this year I believe.
Yes, I had seen that message at the bottom. However my thought was, “who in the world would log out to log back in and get sent back to the line” I didn’t (and still don’t really) understand how it could get logged out and maintain your place in line. As far as the proxy tags, it says 5 but leaves it open to more tags being bought by one person. I’m just saying, by no means is any draw system going to be bulletproof…but a person buying their tag, and their tag only, just makes sense. Minus youth accounts of course. All this stuff about six different devices logged in and 20 tags in person was news to me. Maybe I just need to up my sleezy game. But that doesn’t help anybody and only makes matters worse IMO

The worst part about this is the ability for people to buy in person for those who aren’t present.

I know it would take money out of dealers and brokers hands but I don’t think it is what the state of Idaho had in mind. Could I pay someone to get in the front of the line yes but I don’t think because I can afford the extra buy in ($100 to $1000) that i should get that advantage over someone who can’t. It doesn’t feel right.

Limit to tag holder must be present. Exception for spouse/children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
It would be something to see a person in front of you in line buy 20 tags for other people

I propose each vendor gets 15 elk tags and 15 deer tags .The rest is reserved for online. 1 tag per person, in person. One single log in for virtual.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
It does not need to be complicated. Just make the NR tags random draw. No points, not all this BS. You can put in as a party. People can put in for their tags in an orderly manner and ensure that they can hunt with family if drawn. IDFG will still sell all the tags and also can get a little extra with a small app fee. They already have the software in place to do this. I really don't understand with how Fu$#@& up their current system is, no one there can figure this out and save everyone all the headaches.

BTW, I got tags and now live a few miles from the ID border so I can easily buy in person, so this is not sour grapes. It's just a stupid system they are running that is not fair for everyone and easily gamed by those that want to.

Wrench

WKR
Lot's of people complaining about in person buyers and how Idaho doesn't want that. How about the revenue generated by those who flew or drove in....they ate Idaho's food, bought fuel, hotels....let alone the vendors pulled in buyers.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Lot's of people complaining about in person buyers and how Idaho doesn't want that. How about the revenue generated by those who flew or drove in....they ate Idaho's food, bought fuel, hotels....let alone the vendors pulled in buyers.

Everyone I saw was an ID resident buying multiple tags for their out of state friends or family. It's a very flawed system. Whatever minimal revenue they are getting from the visitors does not justify the chit show joke.

sasquatch

WKR

That’s not even measurable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone I saw was an ID resident buying multiple tags for their out of state friends or family. It's a very flawed system. Whatever minimal revenue they are getting from the visitors does not justify the chit show joke.
I don't like the idea of residents buying large blocks of tags for Non-residents, but if it is legal, so be it.

I REALLY don't like the idea of residents buying tags for non-residents and profiteering off of it. It effectively raises the cost of a tag, except that extra cost isn't money that is going towards management or conservation. I'd rather just pay more directly for a less corrupt system, knowing that those funds can be used for IDFG operations and hopefully good conservation work.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, exactly.…though I stayed at friends.

IMO, if Idaho doesn’t boost their non res elk tags to $1,500 or more…its just stupid.

They are leaving a ton of $$ on the table.

philcox

WKR
If they went to a random draw, or made it less of a melee, they would lose the impulse buy of “any tag that’s available, because I’m missing out”. They know exactly what they are doing, so don’t expect any changes, except for maybe Fee increases.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak for exact numbers for Idaho but in Oregon before I had a real job I did sell licenses. In the early 2000s a combo license angling tag and deer tag would net the vendor less than a dollar. The only reason to even deal with the crappy system is to bring people into your store to buy other things where you actually have a profit margin. I can’t imagine it’s a cash cow across the border. Do we really think people that are flying in staying one night with a carry on are giving the great state of idaho much more donation then a big Mack?
And also if this is your argument then why shouldn’t everyone have to buy their own tag in person thus that much more money gets dumped into many big Mack’s.

Mcribs

FNG
If they went to a random draw, or made it less of a melee, they would lose the impulse buy of “any tag that’s available, because I’m missing out”. They know exactly what they are doing, so don’t expect any changes, except for maybe Fee increases.
For sure, that’s what happened to me even though I said I wouldn’t! But I do think demand is high enough that they will sell those tags, just to more thoughtful people.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
To conclude in of the issue with the draw kicking people out during their turn, an email was sent out saying “you’re s*** out of luck, sorry”

Huntnnw

WKR
It does not need to be complicated. Just make the NR tags random draw. No points, not all this BS. You can put in as a party. People can put in for their tags in an orderly manner and ensure that they can hunt with family if drawn. IDFG will still sell all the tags and also can get a little extra with a small app fee. They already have the software in place to do this. I really don't understand with how Fu$#@& up their current system is, no one there can figure this out and save everyone all the headaches.

BTW, I got tags and now live a few miles from the ID border so I can easily buy in person, so this is not sour grapes. It's just a stupid system they are running that is not fair for everyone and easily gamed by those that want to.
yup, Ive been saying this and written IDFG multiple times. Whats under drawn just goes for sale at the next return tag sale

87TT

WKR
Then when you don't draw for several years for the area you want you'll still be bitchin'.