AZ Late Season Rifle Elk Hunt

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I have a group of 4 and we have been applying for AZ late season rifle elk for going on 4 years now. We booked the hunt through Diamond Outfitters. What are your experiences applying for AZ late season? Are we getting close to drawing tags? Im applying with my Dad and Step Dad who are not getting any younger hoping to draw within the next 2 years.

Sadler

WKR
I have 9 points as a resident and still can’t draw a particular late season rifle tag. Look into cow tags if you want to go anytime soon.

Kurts86

WKR
In AZ you get an extra loyalty point after 5 years applying in a row and you can get another for taking their $300 online ethically hunting AZ course to pump up your points.

Last I dug in it was 8-10 points to pull most late season rifle tags.

The outfitter should be telling you how many points to draw when you are discussing booking.

OP
ArcherAnthony

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I was told they have had groups draw in 2 years and some it takes 4 or longer.

OP
ArcherAnthony

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
From my understanding the Outfitter may change the units we apply for yearly based on information they gather.

wapitibob

WKR
Look at the odds, they’ve been posted for months. Theyll tell you exactly what you should be able to draw. Point creeping many units is going up more than one point a year so you’re going backwards.

2021 odds from Toprut. Pretty sure that outfitter sandbagged you. There's a chance of drawing in the random pass though.

I have about double what you guys do and don't feel very good about my odds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102-140713.png
    Screenshot_20240102-140713.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 47

Calbuck

WKR
My son and I drew late season bull tags with 5 points in 2020..I haven't kept up with the odds but it was a total surprise to get those tags with that few points..never know I guess

If you have the $ for Arizona guided you have the $ for a landowner tag in any state with that program

Norm555

WKR
Did you have to put a deposit down prior to drawing? If so, I'd maybe consider another outfitter.

fmyth

WKR
I was told they have had groups draw in 2 years and some it takes 4 or longer.
It's possible to draw almost any AZ tag with no points but the odds are about the same as winning the lottery. I drew a resident 6a early archery bull tag the first time I put in w 0 points. 10 years later I still haven't drawn it again.

AZ Draw odds: https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/hunt-draw-and-licenses/harvest-reporting/

How the draw works: https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/hunt-draw-and-licenses/big-game-draw/draw-process/

Last edited:
You should really be looking at applying separately, I get wanting to go as a group, but you should be aware of units with low tag numbers. Some units might not even have 4 non resident tags available…especially tags available at random. (You are not in max point pool with 4 points)

In some cases, I don’t know which unit you are looking at, but there may be only a few tags you are even eligible for…

Also if there are less than 4 tags available, either because there aren’t 4 available or there are less than 4 remaining, your group would be automatically kicked out.

You may be doing so, but remember Arizona looks at your first (2) choices. Are you applying in 2 different units?

I would hope your outfitter is explaining all of this, but he should also be telling you, honestly, you might be waiting a long time.