AZ Late Season Rifle Elk Hunt

OP
ArcherAnthony

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
You should really be looking at applying separately, I get wanting to go as a group, but you should be aware of units with low tag numbers. Some units might not even have 4 non resident tags available…especially tags available at random. (You are not in max point pool with 4 points)

In some cases, I don’t know which unit you are looking at, but there may be only a few tags you are even eligible for…

Also if there are less than 4 tags available, either because there aren’t 4 available or there are less than 4 remaining, your group would be automatically kicked out.

You may be doing so, but remember Arizona looks at your first (2) choices. Are you applying in 2 different units?

I would hope your outfitter is explaining all of this, but he should also be telling you, honestly, you might be waiting a long time.
Not great communication from them.

pirogue

WKR
I think I would be having a conversation with them to see what units they have been applying you for or log into your portal and see. Then you could look at the odds and see what your up against.
BINGO! I’d be having more than a conversation. I’d be revisiting the contract. If they think you are becoming impatient and want to draw, hello sorriest unit available. It ain’t a state that an outfitter putting in for a hunter has any better draw odds than the hunter, without an outfitter, in the first place.

CorbLand

WKR
BINGO! I’d be having more than a conversation. I’d be revisiting the contract. If they think you are becoming impatient and want to draw, hello sorriest unit available. It ain’t a state that an outfitter putting in for a hunter has any better draw odds than the hunter, without an outfitter, in the first place.
The opposite could be happening too. They could be booked out for a couple years and not have time for you and applying you in units you have no hope of drawing.

I didn’t even know there were outfitters that applied for you. Personally, I would be trying to take back control of my application.

pirogue

WKR
The opposite could be happening too. They could be booked out for a couple years and not have time for you and applying you in units you have no hope of drawing.

I didn’t even know there were outfitters that applied for you.

That’s what I was referring to. All kind of scenarios.
Too easy to do a little research and put in on your own. Then find an outfitter.

Good outfitter you have chosen, them applying for you is convenient. I would atleast ask some questions on which unit/hunts they are applying you for. I have 10-15 guys from out of state who apply every year in Az for the late bull hunts, I would guess the actual average is around 4-6 years. Some are luckier than others, but on average every 4-6 years.

SDHNTR

WKR
From my understanding the Outfitter may change the units we apply for yearly based on information they gather.
Why are you using a paid outfitter to apply for you? The information so easily accessible on your own. Educate yourself and take control of the process.

I’m an AZ resident. I had my brother who is an NR apply this year with zero points and he got drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm thinking hard about that hunt.
I've hunted deer there several times and seen bulls every time. It's the toughest terrain I've personally hunted or even backpacked in. Think of stream bed cobble, but on 20-35 degree slopes. I would want at least another person helping me pack a bull out of there, just to share in the misery.

WKR
What do you want out of an elk hunt? If you just want to go elk hunting with a majority of the bulls being raghorns with some trophy potential, stick with Diamond and keep applying as a group. They are just going to apply you in the units with the most tags/ easiest to draw.
If you want more of a trophy opportunity on a late hunt, apply solo and with a different outfitter. Remember nonresidents only get up to 5% of tags in either the bonus or 1/2 pass round.

WRO

WKR
Big chino could probably get you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
NR get up to 5% in the bonus pass with a max of up to 10% total between the two. NR could draw 0% in the bonus and 10% in the 1-2 pass. The number of high point nr compared to res prevents that from happening on most hunts but it's possible.