Idaho Elk 20A

P Carter

WKR
I’m no expert on the area, but all I would add is: most hunting risk is relatively manageable and a high probability of wearing you out before something becomes fatal.

Getting upside down in the Salmon River in a canoe during a shoulder season changes that calculus considerably. If you don’t have experience in big water in a canoe you may want to reconsider that idea.

Thanks Carter. I have lots of experience in big water but not in a canoe in big water. I am not looking at traversing the river as much as simply leaving the road , crossing the river, and going ashore on the opposite side.

Thanks Carter. I have lots of experience in big water but not in a canoe in big water. I am not looking at traversing the river as much as simply leaving the road , crossing the river, and going ashore on the opposite side.

Not advisable to me! And hunting near the river is not range that elk, especially bulls that aren’t spikes, are using in Oct.

P Carter

WKR
That current can change a crossing into a traverse in a hurry. Suit yourself, obviously, but to me, attempting a crossing, in October, when you haven’t laid eyes on the river, with several guys and a loaded-down canoe is a very high-risk proposition. Particularly if flows change and you try to cross with an animal coming out.

KurtR

WKR
What ever it looks like on the internet it is ten times worse . Brother hunted deer with a guy who has lived there for 15 years they saw 2 deer and 1 cow elk last year. Generally there are not trails where it shows and the roads suck is what I have learned the last four years hunting Idaho. I would say the snowstorms are less freak and more normal. And it’s steeper than can be explained

Braaap

WKR
I hunted 20a last year and echo everything the others have said. We hunted the same timeframe you’re looking at and there was a decent amount of snow up high when we arrived and then it snowed several more times. We ended leaving in a hurry because of snow as were weren’t sure we could get back over the pass. My buddy had to chain up all four tires to pull his trailer over the pass.

I personally wouldn’t try crossing the river.
Not a lot of game in general like others have said. My buddy and I are in great shape and live at elevation and had no trouble getting up and down the mountains. It’s incredibly steep but if you are super fit and hunted some steep tough terrain before I think you’ll be fine.

I can offer more details if you PM me.

mwebs

WKR
Remember all this information is easily accessible for anyone that now Google's this unit. So in theory someone could just hijack your plan now... It's not unreasonable to cross the river or any river/stream if flows allow, and your somewhat compent on rivers, just pick a good spot, don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Crossing a river or stream can sometimes get you away from the lazy guys, while putting in less miles. You can cross some of the meanest rivers in Idaho in wadders when the flows allow. Man I must be bored, usually I'm just a dick to anyone that post a unit specific question about Idaho, damn you rona virus!

Remember all this information is easily accessible for anyone that now Google's this unit. So in theory someone could just hijack your plan now... It's not unreasonable to cross the river or any river/stream if flows allow, and your somewhat compent on rivers, just pick a good spot, don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Crossing a river or stream can sometimes get you away from the lazy guys, while putting in less miles. You can cross some of the meanest rivers in Idaho in wadders when the flows allow. Man I must be bored, usually I'm just a dick to anyone that post a unit specific question about Idaho, damn you rona virus!
LOL thanks mwebs! If someone wants to hijack my idea they definitely can. One thing is for sure, where there is a will there's a way and we will be showing up ready for just about anything/any weather. At least thats our plan. A friend I am going with is worried about getting his trailer broke into. I told him I doubt that would happen based on the remoteness of where we will be but at the same time anything is possible. Any of you guys ever have or know of any theft experiences or vandalism?

Braaap

WKR
Theft should be the least of his worries with a trailer. Like I mentioned earlier we had chains on all four tires of a Jeep pulling a simple utility trailer to get back over the pass. How big is his trailer and what is he pulling it with?

Braaap

WKR
I’ve only hunted there once so I have little experience but I personally wouldn’t drive that truck/trailer combo where I hunted last year in mid Oct. Narrow steep roads with serious consequences if you mess up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Big truck and 23ft trailer is a BAD idea on those roads. He needs to worry about watching it roll down the mountain than it getting broken in to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
Yea sometimes bigger isn't better out here. Think very narrow roads, if you slide off the wrong side your done, sometimes you need to keep your tire off a big boulder on the inside corner and it pushes you outside to a massive cliff, it's hard to be nimble in a big f350 with a trailer.. But you can trace the roads on Google Earth to see if any your thinking of will give you issues, but know sometimes GE lies. You might get to some spots where you get out to "spot" your buddy because your pretty sure the rig is going off a cliff.