Idaho elk report?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Been pretty quiet around here with the high temps. Haven't seen anyone hauling anything out, except for a rag 4pt on Saturday at the other end of the zone. Cooler temps and later dates in Sep always help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Still not going so well in the smokey bennet area. Finally saw one small raghorn with 8 cows. Im sure the herd bull with ahow up this weekend. Everyone I have to has heard no bugles and the few successful folks have been spot and stalk. Id imagin things will heat up in the next few days.

DeepForks

FNG
Hitting the elk woods sometime after the 15th. Hopefully the rut is getting hot and the temps cooler.

IDAHO ELK HUNT REPORT FOR WEISER RIVER AND MCCALL ZONES AUG30-SEP4:
TEMP: Hotter than a half f@&$#d fox in a forest fire.
VISIBILITY: No smoke impeding glassing efforts.
PEOPLE/PRESSURE: Absolute zoo this year. People everywhere.
ELK: 1 Harvested on opening day 2pm, several encounters every day. Elk are in deep dark timber with this heat. Very few bugles; mostly round ups and the one location we heard he came in to our setup all fired up, and he paid dearly. Please see 1 harvested above. Cow/social talk seemed really limited and quiet as well. Elk are in that timber but very on edge and sketchy.
DEER: 3-4 mature bucks in trophy class, 10-12 does. No shots taken or animals pursued; every encounter was near an elk encounter and, well, we’re elk hunters first. NOTE: All deer were spotted within 1/2 mile of major FS roads.
PREDATORS: 1 Wolf, Massive amounts of other canines(yotes,Fox), 3 bears(all boars, 2 black, 1 cinnamon), 1 bobcat, no other felines.
BIRDS: Grouse are EVERYWHERE, but that not news.
FINAL NOTES: Conventional wisdom dictates that in heat like this we hunt N and NE flowing drainages. THIS HAS NOT BEEN THE CASE THIS YEAR. S, SW, and even SE facing drainages have elk too. If it’s steep and holds deep dark timber patches they WILL be in there because they will not be caught out in the open in the daylight. They are using the timber as bedding, what we call “sound” alarms(basically you crawling through downed trees and calling wrong let’s them know to bark and bail), water and wallowing, and visual protection. Shooting lanes and open window shots are few and far between in this kind of timber, so the hunting has been fun, but the harvesting has been slow.

CHEERS!

OP
kvw4x4

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
The weather looks like it cooled down a bit too. Hopefully that helps. 8 days until we are in Idaho.

We've been out the last two weekends for a cumulation of 6 days hunting. This weekend was finally the most active, but took us a while to find the best elk numbers. Was between two bulls yesterday, but they wouldn't commit to coming in. Buddy has had 3 opportunities to shoot bulls so far.

They're starting to talk some where the wolves aren't which is only one place we've found and where we will be headed back to Friday.

Passed on a spike 2 hours in to my 2 week hunt . Haven't heard a bugle yet. Very quiet in this area of Idaho.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Passed on a spike 2 hours in to my 2 week hunt . Haven't heard a bugle yet. Very quiet in this area of Idaho.
What area are you in? You can PM if you don't want to post it up

Got a bugle back from down in a canyon yesterday; called him up from the depths but not close enough in for a visual/shot. Funny thing was it was around 1 pm... the advertising bugle I think was what sparked it, not the location bugle. The hell do I know I'm just figuring it out as I go along...stumbling through the forest like a drunken wolverine

sneaky

"DADDY"
Got a bugle back from down in a canyon yesterday; called him up from the depths but not close enough in for a visual/shot. Funny thing was it was around 1 pm... the advertising bugle I think was what sparked it, not the location bugle. The hell do I know I'm just figuring it out as I go along...stumbling through the forest like a drunken wolverine
That "free beer" bugle gets them every time lol

BTW weather up in N. Idaho area this season is far more the norm for this time of year than the past 3 years. Cooler temps in the evenings now and some precipitation is on the way for this weekend. Have seen some cow elk down in the valleys feeding in the early AM within the last two weeks.
Hey i sent you a pm

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nah when he took his cows and bounced he moved way too fast for a hunter. Plus I went down into the canyon and found his tracks. I may be green but I'm not dumb.
Yes, you are green. The free beer bugle is the advertising bugle. Sometimes it works when nothing else will. Wasn't talking about it being another hunter.

ElkNut1

WKR
Location bugles & Advertising bugles are pretty much the same bugle tone! The difference is a Locator/Contact bugle is generally used by bulls on the move in search of other elk especially harems with a hot cow. A bull Advertising himself & position generally holds tight & does his best through repetitious bugling but not going anywhere! That bull is announcing his presence in an effort to draw cows to his present position!

ElkNut/Paul

sneaky

"DADDY"
Location bugles & Advertising bugles are pretty much the same bugle tone! The difference is a Locator/Contact bugle is generally used by bulls on the move in search of other elk especially harems with a hot cow. A bull Advertising himself & position generally holds tight & does his best through repetitious bugling but not going anywhere! That bull is announcing his presence in an effort to draw cows to his present position!

ElkNut/Paul
I had to fend off cows with a folded up cow decoy this morning. I must have been saying the right things since they left two other bulls bugling lol.