Idaho Fish & Game In-person Tag Sales Strategy

IdahoBeav

WKR
None of these proposed changes are going to work. Anyone else notice that the "problems " started when the prices went up and the NR unit/zone caps went in?
That's not what caused the problem. The problem is due to the extreme increase in nonres travelling west to hunt. Hunting out-of-state should be a luxury and should be priced so. The unit and zone caps are absolutely needed, but they are needed for both nonres and res, at least for elk (already in effect) and mule deer.

idahodave

WKR
The other thing I'll tell you guys trying to buy tags is to DISPERSE. There are several hundred vendors across the state than can sell them,...but 90 percent of you are going to IDFG offices and the big retailers like Cabelas and Sportsmans.

I won't tell you which one, but one of the vendors near my home had ONE guy in line...and he showed up about 10 minutes before they went on sale.

Strategy matters.

Dave

The other thing I'll tell you guys trying to buy tags is to DISPERSE. There are several hundred vendors across the state than can sell them,...but 90 percent of you are going to IDFG offices and the big retailers like Cabelas and Sportsmans.

I won't tell you which one, but one of the vendors near my home had ONE guy in line...and he showed up about 10 minutes before they went on sale.

Strategy matters.

Dave
And there are going to be more than a few people mad at you stating this....

idahodave

WKR

Only the non-residents that have figured it out already...to them I say "sorry". To the poor dumb souls that haven't already figured it out but I just helped..."you're welcome"...and that's who I'd rather compete with for elk in the woods.

It's self-serving on my part and I'm comfortable with the discontent if it makes it easier for me to kill game...and it does because now I'm competing with the slow kids.

Dave

Last edited:

IdahoBeav

WKR
Maybe not. Where I bought was not as easy as what Dave explained, but it was still productive and in a short amount of time. Of the 20 or so people in line, only one was nonres, and he came from a regional state that has the same chain store. I don't think the people flying in from several states away know the tag honey holes.

idahodave

WKR
Maybe not. Where I bought was not as easy as what Dave explained, but it was still productive and in a short amount of time. Of the 20 or so people in line, only one was nonres, and he came from a regional state that has the same chain store. I don't think the people flying in from several states away know the tag honey holes.

I don't much care either way. Like I said...I'd rather compete with a guy that can't figure out how to grab a tag than one that has already figured this out.

Does that make me a bad guy?....ehhh, maybe. Notching my tag every year eases any residual guilt I might have to a significant degree.

Flyjunky

WKR
None of these proposed changes are going to work. Anyone else notice that the "problems " started when the prices went up and the NR unit/zone caps went in?
I don't hear anyone feel sorry for the outfitters who's customers suddenly couldn't get tags after the changes. For the record, I don't use an outfitter, don't know any outfitter and don't know anybody who uses an outfitter.
But if I was a commissioner or state legislator, who would I be inclined to look out for, an outfitter who lives here, works here, pays taxes here, votes here and who's friends and family live, work, pay taxes and vote here OR a NR hunter who doesn't? Outfitters are just trying to adapt and survive when the rules keep changing.
I say leave it alone and after a few years, the demand will drop and it won't be an issue.
You want people to feel sorry for outfitters? Ha, that’s funny. Don’t they already have tags set aside? I own a business and sure wish the govt guaranteed me business, what a crock of sh*t and I absolutely hate when people use that excuse.

What problems wouldn’t be fixed by going to a random draw, with having to purchase a license first? Isn’t the process right now for non-residents and supposed to be random?

Why don't they do something along the lines of New Mexico for these Idaho "OTC" Nonresident tags.

Can apply with a party up to 2 or 4 people.
app deadline December 1st
$65 nonrefundable big game hunting license
$13 nonrefundable per species application fee
Pay for the entire tag up front which gets refunded after the drawing is held a couple weeks later.

This would get rid of the loopholes, create more revenue for the state and would be %100 random.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I don't much care either way. Like I said...I'd rather compete with a guy that can't figure out how to grab a tag than one that has already figured this out.

Does that make me a bad guy?....ehhh, maybe. Notching my tag every year eases any residual guilt I might have to a significant degree.
Personally, I like the fact that with the buddy-buy tactic, nonres that hunt and share camp with residents have an advantage. It might not be fair, but it's much better than the greenhorn nonres buying tags they know nothing about and without doing any research. Those guys should be going with an outfitter, in my opinion.

Idaboy

WKR
I don't hear anyone feel sorry for the outfitters who's customers suddenly couldn't get tags after the changes. For the record, I don't use an outfitter, don't know any outfitter and don't know anybody who uses an outfitter.
But if I was a commissioner or state legislator, who would I be inclined to look out for, an outfitter who lives here, works here, pays taxes here, votes here and who's friends and family live, work, pay taxes and vote here OR a NR hunter who doesn't? Outfitters are just trying to adapt and survive when the rules keep changing.
I say leave it alone and after a few years, the demand will drop and it won't be an issue.
So by that logic, if I move to idaho, become a resident next year and then open up an outfitter business, I should expect that I can then just get more tags for clients?......I still don't see the logic that just because they've chosen that as a profession, that the government is responsible for helping them attain/retain clients

Idaboy

WKR
Yes, this it exactly what is happening. The first guy in line at the Department's Headquarters Office on Walnut in Boise for the resident Sawtooth Zone sale claimed he had been there for four days!
I thought the resident tag sale is in the summer

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Everybody has to start somewhere.

A guy who has killed 13 elk vs. a guy who is going on his first elk hunt shouldn't matter for tag distribution and certainly shouldn't have to go with a guide.

The actual tag acquisition process is currently flawed.

What problems wouldn’t be fixed by going to a random draw, with having to purchase a license first? Isn’t the process right now for non-residents and supposed to be random?
I get what you are saying, but I could argue it is meant to be "first come, first served" not "random". I don't think it was ever meant to be random.

Flyjunky

WKR
I get what you are saying, but I could argue it is meant to be "first come, first served" not "random". I don't think it was ever meant to be random.
If it’s first come first served why does everyone get a random number?

Flyjunky

WKR
Why don't they do something along the lines of New Mexico for these Idaho "OTC" Nonresident tags.

Can apply with a party up to 2 or 4 people.
app deadline December 1st
$65 nonrefundable big game hunting license
$13 nonrefundable per species application fee
Pay for the entire tag up front which gets refunded after the drawing is held a couple weeks later.

This would get rid of the loopholes, create more revenue for the state and would be %100 random.
I’ve stated this many times and if Idaho really wanted to make more money this is the system they’d implement.

CorbLand

WKR
What problems would be fixed by doing a random draw?

The only thing going to draw would "fix" is making it easier for people to apply, thus destroying your odds. Making them purchase a license will not fix anything. It has been proven in many states that purchasing a license is not a big enough deterrent.

I cannot stress enough how many people do not want to deal with the current system so they dont. If you make it easier for them to apply, they will. The current system, while not flawless, is basically a random draw and people are complaining about it. If you think people wont complain about a draw...I dont know what to tell you.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
The only way that you could truly make a first come, first serve work would be in person purchases only at specific locations.

If it’s first come first served why does everyone get a random number?
Because everyone is logging in at approximately the same time causing website issues. Just a few years ago. it wasn't an issue.
And people that show up in person don't get a random number at all.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I already developed an app that shows me the line length on dec1 at each of the 450 vendors. Probably won’t release it until I finish buying a coffee shop in ID with a vendors license tho. Gatta stay 2 steps ahead!

Flyjunky

WKR
What problems would be fixed by doing a random draw?

The only thing going to draw would "fix" is making it easier for people to apply, thus destroying your odds. Making them purchase a license will not fix anything. It has been proven in many states that purchasing a license is not a big enough deterrent.
Who said anything about deterrent? How about not having a system that kicks you out after 3+ hours of waiting? People buying 20+ licenses at a time?

Like I said, this is for nr and every nr should go through the same process and have the same odds.