Idaho NR deer tags Sold Out

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

It took more than 6 months for the tags to sell out. There is more demand for the tags than there has been, for sure, but there isn't enough demand to need a draw. The cap handles that just fine. Any non-resident who wants to hunt Idaho can right now.
agreed

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've heard there's more changes to come for next year than just the price increase. Sounds like non residents will also have to pick a single gmu to hunt in.

Juan_ID

WKR
I've heard there's more changes to come for next year than just the price increase. Sounds like non residents will also have to pick a single gmu to hunt in.
That’s interesting, I’ve also thought about maybe picking a particular weapon? If that does actually happen I wonder if it would effect nonres only, OR also residents that buy a second/nonres tag?

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think it's going to come down eventually where R and NR are going to have to pick a zone to hunt, and zones will be capped for everyone. There's just a ton of new resident hunters that have to be accounted for and trying to blame all overcrowding on NR is really missing the mark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
That’s interesting, I’ve also thought about maybe picking a particular weapon? If that does actually happen I wonder if it would effect nonres only, OR also residents that buy a second/nonres tag?

I was told non resident only for the single gmu

Rob5589

WKR
How does a draw make it not a rich man's game? Draws cost more money, not less..

It took more than 6 months for the tags to sell out. There is more demand for the tags than there has been, for sure, but there isn't enough demand to need a draw. The cap handles that just fine. Any non-resident who wants to hunt Idaho can right now.
People seem to overlook that non res tags go on sale December 1 of the previous year. So it took half a year to sell out. That doesn't seem so fast when you think about it.

Rizzy

WKR
I have been seeing a ton more trucks parked in turn outs and at trailheads while out scouting so far. The winter of 16-17 is showing up in the age class too, it will be interesting to see how this season goes.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was told non resident only for the single gmu
A single unit or zone? Because if they make them pick a single unit that'll get interesting for sure.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
A single unit or zone? Because if they make them pick a single unit that'll get interesting for sure.

Single game management unit. Again this is not in official writing at this point but it sounds like it's what they're planning on.

IdahoHntr

WKR
I have been seeing a ton more trucks parked in turn outs and at trailheads while out scouting so far. The winter of 16-17 is showing up in the age class too, it will be interesting to see how this season goes.

I've seen the same scouting in Idaho and Utah this year. I think most of it is just more outdoor recreation than normal, and not people scouting, but I could be wrong. A lot of people get to work from home these days and leaves a lot of time to be out in the woods. Our normal fishing and camping spots have had a lot more traffic as well. People can't do their normal things in town so they are getting outdoors. I hate the crowding, but it ain't necessarily a bad thing. Getting outside could do the people of this country some good.

nphunter

WKR
IMO the reason they sold out so early was due to the huge hike next year. People figured it's now or never, I will be very surprised if NR tags sell out next fall, especially elk. I bought 3-year licenses so that will help out some with costs next fall. I really hope to remove quite a few of ID's deer over the next few years;)

I hope this change makes it so that the elk tags don't sell out until after the draw results are out for OR and ID. I think that will be the case which will mean I'll be able to come to hunt in ID for deer and elk if I don't draw in OR.

4BCF53CB-CC67-487E-AF53-D0B4ECB92967.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
IMO the reason they sold out so early was due to the huge hike next year. People figured it's now or never, I will be very surprised if NR tags sell out next fall, especially elk. I bought 3-year licenses so that will help out some with costs next fall. I really hope to remove quite a few our ID's deer over the next few years;)

I hope this change makes it so that the elk tags don't sell out until after the draw results are out for OR and ID. I think that will be the case which will mean I'll be able to come to hunt in ID for deer and elk if I don't draw in OR.
Have to disagree with you. Idaho tag prices next year will be right in line with what guys are paying already in other states so the price change will have little effect. Free money from the govt made it an easy decision to buy tags this year and still buy gear for the trip out of their original budget. The only thing really that will change tag sales next year will be zone caps. If guys can't get the zone they want they might be less likely to buy a tag, but as long as the economy doesn't tank the tag prices won't matter. Look at Wyoming, Montana, Utah. Didn't affect their tag sales at all when they raised prices, and they had record numbers of applications this year.

nphunter

WKR
Have to disagree with you. Idaho tag prices next year will be right in line with what guys are paying already in other states so the price change will have little effect. Free money from the govt made it an easy decision to buy tags this year and still buy gear for the trip out of their original budget. The only thing really that will change tag sales next year will be zone caps. If guys can't get the zone they want they might be less likely to buy a tag, but as long as the economy doesn't tank the tag prices won't matter. Look at Wyoming, Montana, Utah. Didn't affect their tag sales at all when they raised prices, and they had record numbers of applications this year.

Well I hope your wrong. I guess we will see, I know they are significantly more than they have been so anyone who has been scraping up money to go might opt out. Guys looking for the first out west hunt will be looking across the board now instead of heavily at ID due to the low costs.

I personally don’t think it’s going to help the overcrowding at all, 90% of the plates I saw when out had a big 1A on them. Still saw a lot of deer and elk when we got away from the roads which doesn’t take long in ID.

Has ID posted any of the new zone caps yet? IMO that will make a lot of the state more appealing. Like others mentioned tags go on sale in Nov, so there better hurry and there is plenty of time for the ones who are really worried about getting into a capped zone.

Personally I believe the worst deer zone in ID is far better than the best zones in OR.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Utah elk tag went from $393 to $593 and their any bull zones are a circus. MT is a draw and elk tags are $850, Wyoming is a 3 year or so draw and tags are $700 or so. Colorado tags are in the $600+ range. Nevada's are draw tags and $1200. I don't think Idaho prices are going to be a shock to anyone when they start comparing prices across different states. Dec 1st is when NR tags go on sale, it'll be later this fall when they announce zone numbers for next year. Be interesting to see how, or if, they cap certain zones. 1A plates are almost as bad as 5B plates in central Idaho.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Lol next year they will sell out faster than this year, I hate to say it. Was always nice that Idaho was a fall back OTC option if draws didn’t work out in your favor. Not that it’s ever been a negative to have to hunt idaho... I keep saying it but the industry is over pimping western “backcountry” hunting.

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, it only took 7 months give or take a week, for NR tags to sell out this year. It isn't like they sold out in a week. I highly doubt they'll sell out any quicker next year, the high demand zones, or the currently unlimited OTC zones that get new caps will still go quick. I think after the few glamorous and high demand zones get sold the other zones will go much slower. I don't give a damn how much the industry glorifies backcountry hunting, they've done that for a while already. When you give someone house money to spend however they want it definitely changes things. I think we'll see a huge initial surge in sales for 2021, and then a regular rate of tag sales as zones start to fill up. Deer tags aren't really changing much in price, but I doubt we'll see them sell out as fast as this year either.

nphunter

WKR
I really liked it when I could pick up my deer tags when I got to Idaho on my way to hunt.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Well, it only took 7 months give or take a week, for NR tags to sell out this year. It isn't like they sold out in a week. I highly doubt they'll sell out any quicker next year, the high demand zones, or the currently unlimited OTC zones that get new caps will still go quick. I think after the few glamorous and high demand zones get sold the other zones will go much slower. I don't give a damn how much the industry glorifies backcountry hunting, they've done that for a while already. When you give someone house money to spend however they want it definitely changes things. I think we'll see a huge initial surge in sales for 2021, and then a regular rate of tag sales as zones start to fill up. Deer tags aren't really changing much in price, but I doubt we'll see them sell out as fast as this year either.

I have not doubt that they will sell out, but I do think it will take longer next year. It seems like everybody who had a plan to hunt Idaho every few years bought tags this year to get one last cheap hunt in before the tag prices go up. With increased prices, limited zones, and without the extra pressure of everybody trying to get a tag while they are still cheap, it will probably take a bit longer, but they'll still sell.

jmh00043

FNG
Western big game is getting pretty darn popular. OTC options are tougher and tougher.
Been reading this forum for a while. I am from Alabama so here is my, NR, opinion and a little about myself. I have hunted and fished my whole life in the southeast.
Fished - Gulf of Mexico for snapper, grouper, wahoo, mahi mahi and everything else except billfish, which is on the bucket list. Freshwater- bass, bream, stripes, hybrid, crappie, rainbow and brown trout.
Hunted - Whitetails, quail, pheasants, eastern turkeys, coyote, hogs, ducks (mainly wood ducks) and mule deer hunt in SD couple years ago. Shot a 140 inch beautiful 8 point, or 4x4 as y'all call it lol!!! Have vacationed out west and love the country. I love hunting too, so put it together and that is what brought me to mule deer hunting in SD. I could be totally wrong about this from my own research for elk and mule but:
Montana - NR need guide and is expensive
Wyoming - pretty much need PP. Which I have 2 for antelope, mule and elk. Just started accruing them.
Utah/Arizona - not as pretty county to me
Colorado- holy crap! How many people go out there?
Idaho- Lots of people but lots of public land and OTC which provides a chance to get out and experience elk/mule hunting.
Hope to come fall 2021!

OP
sneaky

sneaky

"DADDY"
Been reading this forum for a while. I am from Alabama so here is my, NR, opinion and a little about myself. I have hunted and fished my whole life in the southeast.
Fished - Gulf of Mexico for snapper, grouper, wahoo, mahi mahi and everything else except billfish, which is on the bucket list. Freshwater- bass, bream, stripes, hybrid, crappie, rainbow and brown trout.
Hunted - Whitetails, quail, pheasants, eastern turkeys, coyote, hogs, ducks (mainly wood ducks) and mule deer hunt in SD couple years ago. Shot a 140 inch beautiful 8 point, or 4x4 as y'all call it lol!!! Have vacationed out west and love the country. I love hunting too, so put it together and that is what brought me to mule deer hunting in SD. I could be totally wrong about this from my own research for elk and mule but:
Montana - NR need guide and is expensive
Wyoming - pretty much need PP. Which I have 2 for antelope, mule and elk. Just started accruing them.
Utah/Arizona - not as pretty county to me
Colorado- holy crap! How many people go out there?
Idaho- Lots of people but lots of public land and OTC which provides a chance to get out and experience elk/mule hunting.
Hope to come fall 2021!
You don't have to have a guide in Montana for deer or elk or antelope. Actually MT isn't really any more expensive than any other state. You pay as much or more to hunt deer and elk in combo in Wyoming for example than you do in MT. If you do the special draw in Wyoming you most certainly do.
Wyoming you have to have a babysitter if you're hunting wilderness areas, but you can run naked through those same wilderness areas if you aren't hunting.
There are some spectacular areas of Utah and Arizona, those states aren't just desert areas. You would be surprised what the terrain looks like in the mountains. The same with Nevada.