Idaho or Colorado for diy elk

Nubs

FNG
Hello all,

We are planning an elk trip for 2021. Initially we were planning Idaho, but I've been reading there is more and more out of state pressure.

We are looking at otc rifle tags

I understand my chances are stacked against me. Anyone have pointers to help sway our decision?

I have been to Colorado once I think in 06 or 07 but did not even see an elk. I feel like I am a better hunter now and there are a lot more resources for knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

They’re all going to suck. Fish and game wouldnt issue tags OTC If success rates were high. Pick the one that makes the most sense logistically for you and go.

Northpark

WKR
Ya OTC in Colorado is getting pretty bad. Not saying don’t go just saying have realistic expectations, like the fact you will see people everywhere you go.

OP
Nubs

Nubs

FNG
I understand that both states have high hunting pressure. Logistically, Colorado would be cheaper. One of the leaning points for Idaho was tag costs and with some tags, you could use the deer tag on other species. Looks like for next year, Idaho is raising fees.

I think I have a pretty reasonable outlook on success, but if I see an elk next year going out I'll be happy.

87TT

WKR
Better make up your mind soon. New zone caps are coming and tags go on sale in two weeks.

Rob5589

WKR
Non res tags in Idaho can be used for bear, cat, or wolf in lieu of elk. But no way in hell would I use a 650 tag on any of those.

OP
Nubs

Nubs

FNG
I've never shot a bear or cat so would be tempted if I had one in my sights. Wolf on the other hand, not so much.

No state is cheaper if you have to go there 2 or 4 seasons to kill an elk. Write your priorities down. If low cost is higher on the list than a dead elk then, in my opinion you need to rethink your list. I’d say Montana before Idaho or Colorado.

No state is cheaper if you have to go there 2 or 4 seasons to kill an elk. Write your priorities down. If low cost is higher on the list than a dead elk then, in my opinion you need to rethink your list. I’d say Montana before Idaho or Colorado.
I can vouch for this. Fortunately for me, a tag on an animal isn't the measure of a successful hunt in my mind. But to others, it most certainly is. Figure out how important tagging out is to you, and plan accordingly.

I have hunted OTC units for elk in CO 4 of the last 5 years. I always got into elk and if not for having the wrong tag in my pocket (always a cow tag when I needed a bull tag), I would have tagged out 3 of those 5 years including a couple weeks ago.

If you can hike more than a mile above 9K feet, the pressure almost disappears. That's been my experience. As of 2 weeks ago, my new prayer for the season is deep cold and snow. LOL