Idaho salmon area unit 36b & 28 archery

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought my tag today been researching these units for a month . 4 of us going out , our first trip to Idaho . Been hunting Colorado. For the last five yrs . Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

300_RUM

FNG
You might already know this but Unit 28 for elk and deer is only open for Archery in December...These two units do not overlap with their archery seasons. Depending on when your wanting to go might require you to focus efforts on one unit vs the other. I have been to the salmon zone on several trips. Awesome and rugged country. Feel free to PM me. Have not spent much time in 36B but the rest of the units I have.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted 36B and 28 this last season. First time in that area. We saw a ton of mule deer but all doe. Had trouble getting back on the access roads due to mud. We were new to the area and weren't going to take chances on those roads, but the locals were getting back there. If I was to go back there, I would plan on getting up one of those access roads and hiking in up to the 8-9k elevation and camping up there. We would have seen more game had we done that this past season. I think we spent more time driving to different locations then actual hunting, but this was our second year, and we are learning. The hunters we were meeting were claiming that there weren't any elk being taken, but the local meat processor in Challis had a different story when we did bring in the one mule deer we got.

I also have my Salmon Elk tag for this next season, but also trying to hunt Colorado 1st or 3rd rifle season, so I will have to squeeze in a Idaho hunt and probably on my own.

OP
Brett8133

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys !! I’m taking a atv so hopefully I can back where I need to . 300 rum I didn’t realize that I wonder why the biologist didn’t mention that to me when we talked . I plan being there sept 9-18

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure you've already got it covered, but make sure you're extra mindful of motorized vehicle rules in your unit. Nothing will piss off the locals like seeing atvs where they shouldn't be.

OP
Brett8133

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Totally agree on the atv I will have dull knowledge of all
Closed roads . I hunted Co last 5 yrs and know exactly how agrevating it is to have people ignore closed road signs . I’m just taking it because it’s easier to get around and less where and tear on the truck we have to drive 25 hrs out and back in .

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
For navigating the road network, we used Avenza Maps on out phones. Idaho has maps that you can download that will show all roads along with what types of vehicles can use them. Really helped us in getting back to the areas we wanted to hunt. The local forestry office had instructions on downloading the correct maps. The ones we used are:
Salmon-Challis NF Chalis-Yankee Fork < this should cover the lower part of 36b
Salmon-Challis NF Leador Salmon
Salmon-Challis NF Leadore RD

They also had these in paper maps for free.

7Bartman

WKR
Scoony beat me to it. Don't need to have phone signal either. The GPS on your phone will work fine on the Avenza maps. Good way to tell what roads are open.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Call me during roughly daytime hours...I have hunted 36B several years for both elk and deer. I hunted areas with no motor vehicle access and back pack hunted though.

Idaboy

WKR
Call me during roughly daytime hours...I have hunted 36B several years for both elk and deer. I hunted areas with no motor vehicle access and back pack hunted though.
What is the wolve pressure like in 36b or 21/21A.....Are there a lot outfitters during archery season?

Spent quite a bit of time in 36b last year. You will likely see a lot of this.

The mule deer will be up high, the elk might not make any noise. If you notice you are sharing the basin with wolves you might consider packing it up and moving areas completely. I believe one of the original wolf relocation areas was near Challis.

Plenty of wolves. There's a fair number of outfitted hunting and drop camps also. I'd say the issue is more the proximity to Challis and Salmon and everything than the predators but it's all a factor.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Plenty of wolves. There's a fair number of outfitted hunting and drop camps also. I'd say the issue is more the proximity to Challis and Salmon and everything than the predators but it's all a factor.
Don't forget Idaho Falls. Lots of hunters roll out of there into that unit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Brett8133

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 36b last yr and never seen a wolf track or herd one . Huntedcsept 9-18 4 of us buddy shot a calf I let a calf walk and called in a 300 in bull to 40 yds but he stood behind a dead spruce tree we screamed at each other for 5 mins and he turned and ran away . I was broken hearted but also pretty pumped !! Another shot a cow and we never found her . It’s thick and steep , that being said we only herd 3 bugles in 10 days the elk are very spread out and quiet . We covered a lot of ground average 6-7 miles a day hiking . Personally I think there’s probably much better units . Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36b does look like a small unit and not all of it looks like good summer habitat, but is the pressure that bad? Last year there were only 180 bow hunters according to the IDFAG harvest stats.

36b does look like a small unit and not all of it looks like good summer habitat, but is the pressure that bad? Last year there were only 180 bow hunters according to the IDFAG harvest stats.

A lot of people will just go to the same places and it's a small unit so yeah there's some access and pressure issues. As you mentioned, a lot of the area is not summer range. Of the summer range, a fair amount is either super rocky or dense lodgepole and/or pine forest that's not a productive habitat. If you go to the better places, you'll have company. None of the unit is very far from the towns I listed so it's easily accessible on a short drive for anyone, including residents living there.

Feel free to PM to discuss.