Idaho Sawtooth Unit 33, 34, 35, 36 Elk Quality

kurt1988

FNG
Hello All, I was fortunate to get a sawtooth A archery elk tag this year and have never been to the area before.
While success rates appear high, in my research I’ve read from a few guys that animal quality tends to be smaller bulls in this area.
Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience as to animal quality in this area? Just trying to set realistic expectations going in. Much appreciated.

You’re not that fortunate. Research Idaho baolith. The effects are well known among Idaho hunters and biologists. Many herd bulls under 300”. Stunted antler growth as you’ll see in outfitter and hunter photos from the area. The most knowledgeable guy I know who hunts the area sees a bunch of bulls and almost all under 300” with a very occasional monster.

The units are not hopping with elk; the success rates are due to hunter effort. Theres also a bunch of residents who’ve hunted it for generations who have traditional spots and do whatever it takes to not be pushed elsewhere. The popularity of the zone is fueled by the scenery and scarcity being assumed to be due to some special quality.

There’s a recent thread on this.

Last edited:
33 and 39 were a goat rope last year. 39 had a couple decent bulls on the north western slope of Rattlesnake. But to many horses.... didn't have a chance. Work will be involved.

33 and 39 were a goat rope last year. 39 had a couple decent bulls on the north western slope of Rattlesnake. But to many horses.... didn't have a chance. Work will be involved.

What does the goat rope mean? This thread is about 33, 34, 35, 35. Im confused—why are you discussing 39?

GregB

WKR
And how were you hunting those 2 units for elk. They are different zones, so you can only hunt one or the other depending on which tag you got, not both.

Kurt, I don't know how that zone got so popular, ease of access, scenery or whatever. I certainly don't think it's worth the effort to get a tag. I would assume success rates will drop this year since IDFG allocated more tags to the area. If you put in some work and are willing to do some walking you have a good chance of getting into them. Knew a guy that killed elk every year but none of them were giants.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
What does the goat rope mean? This thread is about 33, 34, 35, 35. Im confused—why are you discussing 39?
Goat rope is the same as a clusterfuuu... you get the drift lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Went through 33 to get to 39. Assumption is thinking error. Pulled some horse trailers out near beaver creek summit (some of the trailers had horses in it when it went over... @#itty..) But traveling through there it was crowded. Yeah my bad for mentioning a unit that wasnt listed in by the OP. Sorry i guess...

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At the rate people flocked to the Sawtooth zone, and IDFG making it a limited sale, the zone has become overcrowded for an area that is under population, like most of Idaho.

But hey, better to be there than where I hunt.

Cool area. Steep as hell. Rocky. Thick for the most part, and where its not thick, that just usually means its rocks. Some decent glassing spots, but then you realize its thru hell and back to get to the next ridge.

Focus on water sources, but with the aforementioned rocks, there are also a lot of springs.

OP
K

kurt1988

FNG
Thank you all for the info. Sounds like I'm in for some pretty scenery and hard/tough hunting, both of which I am looking forward to! I am planning on making a trip out the week of the 4th to do some scouting. Only having been in the elk woods/mountains in September, do you all think if I find elk in early July, there is a decent chance they will be in those areas come september? Again thanks for the info!

IdahoElk

WKR
Thank you all for the info. Sounds like I'm in for some pretty scenery and hard/tough hunting, both of which I am looking forward to! I am planning on making a trip out the week of the 4th to do some scouting. Only having been in the elk woods/mountains in September, do you all think if I find elk in early July, there is a decent chance they will be in those areas come september? Again thanks for the info!
Possible if you find them in remote basins but they often use different areas come September.

excaliber

WKR
A couple years ago when it burned the hunting was excellent. From all the reports I got the Elk were dazed and confused and the success rate for those I know was very high. My neighbors group killed 7 bulls for 8 hunters but the biggest were smaller rag horns along with a few spikes.
Last year they hunted the same areas and they killed just one Bull.

Quality is not good as any Bull Elk seen is usually shot. It's not a zone that's managed for older age class animals. It's more of an opportunity zone like most of the state.

Pwells10

WKR
Buddy of mine is a biologist for IDFG. He says the numbers went down last year in that zone. And as above have stated, average bull is sub 300

bangarang

FNG
You’re not that fortunate. Research Idaho baolith. The effects are well known among Idaho hunters and biologists. Many herd bulls under 300”. Stunted antler growth as you’ll see in outfitter and hunter photos from the area. The most knowledgeable guy I know who hunts the area sees a bunch of bulls and almost all under 300” with a very occasional monster.

The units are not hopping with elk; the success rates are due to hunter effort. Theres also a bunch of residents who’ve hunted it for generations who have traditional spots and do whatever it takes to not be pushed elsewhere. The popularity of the zone is fueled by the scenery and scarcity being assumed to be due to some special quality.

There’s a recent thread on this.
I googled Idaho baolith out of curiosity and only found this thread. https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/deer-research-project-help.39752/

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
In 40 years of chasing elk in the Sawtooth zone, either with a stick and string or with a camera, the biggest bull I've ever seen in my preferred honeyholes would probably have taped out at no better than 320" - 330". Took a buddy into one of my spots last year and we called in a handful of bulls in 5 days, the best a 3-4 year old 6-point that my buddy promptly arrowed. Maybe 280". That's about as good as it gets in the Sawtooth zone these days. Two miles in from the nearest road, where I hunted by myself for 3/4 of those 40 years, we bumped a half dozen other hunters, ran into a guy on an electric bike, and got buzzed by drones twice. And so it goes. Sawtooth zone some big, steep country. Plenty of pressure. Get in shape. If you find elk around the 7,000 ft level in Summer, they will probably be there in September. Good luck!

Looking for thoughts on the Sawtooth zone b-tag as compared to Boise River (39) b-tag. Been hunting 39 past 3 years - I've been able to find pockets away from the crowds and see good numbers of elk and decent bulls by way of spike camping deep in the wilderness area and outskirts. Not uncommon to see 20+ elk daily or more in what is considered the busiest unit in the state. Considering changing it up for the experience, new country etc... It would be a bit disappointing to change units only to find more traffic and less animals. Any thoughts on the Sawtooth zone for someone willing to put in the work. Many thanks

idahodave

WKR
Looking for thoughts on the Sawtooth zone b-tag as compared to Boise River (39) b-tag. Been hunting 39 past 3 years - I've been able to find pockets away from the crowds and see good numbers of elk and decent bulls by way of spike camping deep in the wilderness area and outskirts. Not uncommon to see 20+ elk daily or more in what is considered the busiest unit in the state. Considering changing it up for the experience, new country etc... It would be a bit disappointing to change units only to find more traffic and less animals. Any thoughts on the Sawtooth zone for someone willing to put in the work. Many thanks

My advice is don't leave elk to find elk...especially in an Idaho OTC tag situation. Sounds like you're seeing more elk than 90% of the hunters in Idaho frankly.

Dave