Idaho specific CVA Optima

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Got a CVA Optima for more opportunities here in Az. Shoots great with 2 777 pellets, 250 grain Sabot Hornady SST and 209 primer.
I am headed to idaho May 12th to hunt bears over dogs with my nephew and I’m taking my recurve as a primary weapon. I want to take the muzzleloader as a back up and am trying to get it setup for idaho regs. I bought the cva northwest conversion kit and some no 11 primers. I also shoot it with open sights so I believe I have a good start, but I’m trying to figure powder and bullet. Shots will be short but not sure where to start or what else I need. Any advice would be appreciated!!!! Thank you

Zed13

FNG
Is your hunt a any weapon hunt? If so you do not have to change anything. Only has to meet Idaho regs if it's listed as a traditional muzzleloader hunt.

Puzzles

FNG
How do you like the CVA Optima? Have you shot it with the Northwest conversion yet? I'm thinking about buying one to use Idaho as it's only one of a few inline's that's legal for use in Idaho.

The following may not be fact but it's what I've researched. CVA recommends using only RWS musket caps for reliability as there supposedly hotter. Blackhorn 209 muzzleloading propellant is a no go as it's hard to ignite with musket caps per several posts that I found. Plus, CVA makes a special breech plug for using 209 primers with Blackhorn powder for reliable ignition so there may be some truth there. It sounds like your already aware of Idaho's regs, if not I posted below. Based on load listed above you'll need be needing a bit of range time to come up with a new one. as sabot and pelletized power are not allowed.

Here is a link to Hodgen's loading data

This is what I going to start with once I've come up with an Idaho legal rifle.
Powerbelt 348gr .50Cal Lead
Hodgen 777 FFG @ 80gr. and work my way toward 100gr. to see what shoots best.

Sticking to 777 FFG only because I already have a stock of it

Hope you find this helpful and answers some of your questions.

Legal Requirements for traditional muzzleloader hunt

Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
Is free of any electronic devices.
Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How do you like the CVA Optima? Have you shot it with the Northwest conversion yet? I'm thinking about buying one to use Idaho as it's only one of a few inline's that's legal for use in Idaho.

The following may not be fact but it's what I've researched. CVA recommends using only RWS musket caps for reliability as there supposedly hotter. Blackhorn 209 muzzleloading propellant is a no go as it's hard to ignite with musket caps per several posts that I found. Plus, CVA makes a special breech plug for using 209 primers with Blackhorn powder for reliable ignition so there may be some truth there. It sounds like your already aware of Idaho's regs, if not I posted below. Based on load listed above you'll need be needing a bit of range time to come up with a new one. as sabot and pelletized power are not allowed.

Here is a link to Hodgen's loading data

This is what I going to start with once I've come up with an Idaho legal rifle.
Powerbelt 348gr .50Cal Lead
Hodgen 777 FFG @ 80gr. and work my way toward 100gr. to see what shoots best.

Sticking to 777 FFG only because I already have a stock of it

Hope you find this helpful and answers some of your questions.

Legal Requirements for traditional muzzleloader hunt

Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
Is free of any electronic devices.
Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.
In an any weapon hunt in Idaho he doesn't have to change anything on his setup. The restrictions pertain to the muzzleloader only seasons. Bear season is any weapon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk